Home Network tweaking (was 'Buy or Rent')

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Home Network tweaking (was 'Buy or Rent')

Post by ThomasOK »

If it makes you happy: "Buffalo Inc. is currently one of the 14 subsidiaries of Melco Holdings Inc."
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-10-06 18:42 If it makes you happy: "Buffalo Inc. is currently one of the 14 subsidiaries of Melco Holdings Inc."
I find it useful in life to differentiate between the parents and children. Chaos otherwise.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I find trying to keep tack of parents and children in the electronics industry to be quite time consuming as it is already chaos with all the buying and selling. Who owns B&W this week? How about McIntosh? It's no longer Harman International that owns a ton of brands it is Samsung. ETC!
The LP12 Whisperer
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-10-06 19:26 I find trying to keep tack of parents and children in the electronics industry to be quite time consuming as it is already chaos with all the buying and selling. Who owns B&W this week? How about McIntosh? It's no longer Harman International that owns a ton of brands it is Samsung. ETC!
Wiki normally resolves these matters. If Wiki fails I have a brother at Bloomberg.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 17:54
Spannko wrote: 2020-10-06 00:35
WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-05 16:25

Spannko, would you do me the honor of a reply? My $80 is ready to spend if your allegation is correct. My pocket book likes evidence,
I didn’t realise you asked me a question! How can I help?
Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the Melco/Buffalo forum comments you cited?
Here’s an alleged photo of the Melco and Buffalo boards.
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/list ... s/8487/356

Scroll down and you will see the possible inspiration for the Melco switch. It’s the modified Buffalo switch.

Further down there’s the photoshopped Melco (with the board number removed) and a photo of what the Melco actually looks like inside.

Before buying the Buffalo, I’d very strongly recommend you get the Netgear GS108T first (NOT any of the other Netgear switches or 108 variants) with its standard smps. This will give you an excellent benchmark for you to try and improve upon.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Spannko wrote: 2020-10-06 00:35
Here’s an alleged photo of the Melco and Buffalo boards.
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/list ... s/8487/356

Scroll down and you will see the possible inspiration for the Melco switch. It’s the modified Buffalo switch.

Further down there’s the photoshopped Melco (with the board number removed) and a photo of what the Melco actually looks like inside.

Before buying the Buffalo, I’d very strongly recommend you get the Netgear GS108T first (NOT any of the other Netgear switches or 108 variants) with its standard smps. This will give you an excellent benchmark for you to try and improve upon.
Gratitude Spannko. The Buffalo switches have been popular on several CA forums, usually modded (clock etc.). You wisely used "alleged". If I ran Melco I would base an audiophile switch on a PCB my corporation already made. I will read the links with interest.

I have a PF-Buffalo gifted by a buddy. The Netgear is one I've yet to hear.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-04 18:56 Hey

1st post.

Melco is parent company. Own Buffalo. Switch it?
If accuracy is vital, as you stated below, you might want to get the information correct before castigating someone on their post.

The Melco we are talking about here, quite obviously, is the Melco who makes the audio oriented network gear. This is Melco Syncrets Inc. which is definitely not the parent company of Buffalo, Inc. The Melco audio products were developed by Buffalo and then (obviously unbeknownst to me) were spun off into a separate company. So Buffalo Inc. did own Melco but it is now a separate company. It is owned by Melco Holdings, as is Buffalo Inc. Bud saying the audio Melco owns Buffalo is like saying GMC owns Chevrolet, simply incorrect. But don't take my word for it, here it is from horse's mouth at one of Melco audio's websites:

"On Feb, 2014, Buffalo Inc. launched Audiophile NAS Project to present the world`s first audiophile grade source component to access, store and deliver Hi-Res Digital Music without any of the compromises of computers and their peripherals, then debuted MELCO N1 Series at UK on Nov, 2014. To enter into the audio equiment business, Melco Syncrets Inc. became an independent company inherited Melco Audiophile NAS Project from Buffalo Inc. in 2016."

More proof can also be easily provided in the form of the Buffalo Inc. information printed on the back panel of the server we have on demo and the Buffalo boxes they all used to ship in. Them's the facts!
The LP12 Whisperer
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-10-14 16:45
WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-04 18:56 Hey

1st post.

Melco is parent company. Own Buffalo. Switch it?
If accuracy is vital, as you stated below, you might want to get the information correct before castigating someone on their post.

The Melco we are talking about here, quite obviously, is the Melco who makes the audio oriented network gear. This is Melco Syncrets Inc. which is definitely not the parent company of Buffalo, Inc. The Melco audio products were developed by Buffalo and then (obviously unbeknownst to me) were spun off into a separate company. So Buffalo Inc. did own Melco but it is now a separate company. It is owned by Melco Holdings, as is Buffalo Inc. Bud saying the audio Melco owns Buffalo is like saying GMC owns Chevrolet, simply incorrect. But don't take my word for it, here it is from horse's mouth at one of Melco audio's websites:

"On Feb, 2014, Buffalo Inc. launched Audiophile NAS Project to present the world`s first audiophile grade source component to access, store and deliver Hi-Res Digital Music without any of the compromises of computers and their peripherals, then debuted MELCO N1 Series at UK on Nov, 2014. To enter into the audio equiment business, Melco Syncrets Inc. became an independent company inherited Melco Audiophile NAS Project from Buffalo Inc. in 2016."

More proof can also be easily provided in the form of the Buffalo Inc. information printed on the back panel of the server we have on demo and the Buffalo boxes they all used to ship in. Them's the facts!
Do you understand how corporate groups organize themselves and why? I read the same data as you yet came to the correct conclusion that Melco is the group. If you would desire the ISIN numbers of the various corporate entities I can acquire that data. You're in over your head.

Is this your approach to customer retention ThomasOK?
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

melco.jpg
Scrolling down is a basic skill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Gentlemen, it seems I need to remind you that the spirit of this forum is one of curiosity, respect and friendly, productive participation.

Follow the rules or move somewhere else!
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

I have fiber to a media converter. The media converter has two lan ports for internet and one for TV. I can reach internet directly from the ports on the m c. However, to set up the network at home I have to connect the m c to a router provided by the broadband company. I have three possibilities to connect NP5 Prisma streaming device:

1. current one: m c to router, router to Netgear switch, switch to NP5
2. router directly to NP5
3. m c directly to Np5

I'm currently evaluating 1 against 2. It seems that despite longer a 6 meter long cable from router directly to the streaming device (NP5) it is slightly more musical than going with the long cable to a switch and then 2.5 meter cable to the streaming device. In the whole setup im only using Designacable Premium Belden 1303E CATSNAKE Cat6a.

The third one is intriguing, but I don't think there will be a way to use the Prisma app and native apps like Qobuz or Spotify connect in that setup, since the connection is not part of the network. Or?

Anyone with who have tried out similar setups, I'm especially curious if there's a way to go with the third option? The Prisma is similar to other streamers, except it has no DAC.
Primare Np5 & NP30, Genki, Boazu, Ninka w. Poly. st., ICs: Linn Si & bl incl. dig, tt TD46,
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

My digital music is all on its own dedicated wireless network via Sonos Boost.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

matthias wrote: 2020-09-26 21:15 I use Qobuz via WiFi to Audirvana as player on my MBP.
Audirvana is loading the files into RAM before playback.
For serous listening I switch WiFi off on my MBP after the files have been loaded into RAM.
So during playback there is no network activity at all.
There is no difference between WiFi off and on regarding "audiophile" criteria, but regarding tune dem WiFi off seems to be superior.

Matt
Hi Matt is it possible to do clips showing the benefits of doing this ?
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lego wrote: 2021-05-12 19:12 Hi Matt is it possible to do clips showing the benefits of doing this ?
Hi Lego,
sorry no, I finished my Qobuz subscription.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677