Liquid stylus treatments on Kandid.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tamblers

Liquid stylus treatments on Kandid.

Post by Tamblers »

Does anyone use stylus treatments, such as Lyra’s SPT, on their Kandid? Not recommended on Krystal after a few suspensions collapsed because, according to Linn, too much fluid applied to the stylus resulting in corrosion of it’s aluminum cantilever. Likely not relevant to Kandid with it’s boron.

When ESC re-tipped my Troika some years ago, they recommended a light application of alcohol free lens cleaner before every play. This seemed to work quite well even though the Troika’s cantilever was also aluminum.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Liquid stylus treatments on Kandid.

Post by lejonklou »

Linn green paper for dust balls and after every record.

Silly putty every 4-5 records, to remove gunk.
Tamblers

Post by Tamblers »

I have an onzow that I use regularly. Lyra says SPT will increase performance, extend stylus life and do no harm. Wondering if anyone has experience with Kandid and SPT or other liquids. I think you’re saying I shouldn’t bother.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

My old Linn dealer recommended a soft artist paintbrush to remove the dust balls. It worked pretty well and shouldn't harm the stylus.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Magic erasers work well in my experience. Different brand names in the UK and USA.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Very soft paint brush for removing fluff balls. Green Paper every few sides, followed by a wipe with SPT. As Lyra make the Kandid for Linn, I don’t have an issue with using it. I also believe that David Williamson, the Kandid designer, uses it on his.

‘troll
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn does say that Lyra SPT is OK on the Kandid (and Akiva and Arkiv B) but not the cartridges with aluminum cantilevers (Krystal, Adikt and most older Linn cartridges). I have not tried SPT but since Lyra makes it and the Kandid, as moomintroll mentions, it should be safe.

For balls of fluff I use the Discwasher SC-2 without fluid (unfortunately discontinued) as it does remove stuff, even some built up gunk, better than any other brush I have tried. Most of the brushes out there now are useless on anything but a bit of fluff. I use green paper every few sides - it is the only thing that can remove the hard, caked on deposits that sometimes form on the diamond. Then I use A*F Rub Off or Silly Putty to get all the little particles off the diamond that green paper and brushes don't remove. I have the advantage of access to a high-powered, stereo, lighted Wild Heerbrugg microscope at the store to view styli through. It lets you know exactly how effective the various cleaners are and what each works against.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-09-19 15:29 Linn does say that Lyra SPT is OK on the Kandid (and Akiva and Arkiv B) but not the cartridges with aluminum cantilevers (Krystal, Adikt and most older Linn cartridges). I have not tried SPT but since Lyra makes it and the Kandid, as moomintroll mentions, it should be safe.

For balls of fluff I use the Discwasher SC-2 without fluid (unfortunately discontinued) as it does remove stuff, even some built up gunk, better than any other brush I have tried. Most of the brushes out there now are useless on anything but a bit of fluff. I use green paper every few sides - it is the only thing that can remove the hard, caked on deposits that sometimes form on the diamond. Then I use A*F Rub Off or Silly Putty to get all the little particles off the diamond that green paper and brushes don't remove. I have the advantage of access to a high-powered, stereo, lighted Wild Heerbrugg microscope at the store to view styli through. It lets you know exactly how effective the various cleaners are and what each works against.
A Wild? Only the best! In a former life, a Wild (“Vilt”) theodolite was the stuff of dreams!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

The loyalty to Linn here is sweet in a way, but I invite anyone to find any major cartridge manufacturer that recommends abrasive paper of any type. Being cartridge manufacturers I'm positive they own microscopes. I couldn't think of many that didn't exist for decades before Linn (or Ariston). Whose advice would you prefer on styli? Linn or the manufacturers of styli and cartridges?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Funny how the green paper keeps causing controversy. I've been using it since the late 80's and it works great. Never damaged any of my many styluses. Or anyone else's for that matter.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

It's not controversy for me Fredrik. I simply reckon all those long term diamond tip manufacturers know you can use the type of abrasives Linn recommends. Not one recommends any abrasive as far as I can see. Linn paper is just like the very mild abrasive paper jewelry makers use - but at a premium.

Interestingly the cartridge manufacturers do have a variety of recommended cleaning solutions. I sort of expected some degree of consensus.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Green Imperial Lapping Film. And a deep Blow for those dust balls.

But actually I've been using this "Kit" supplied by LINN for the past 35 years Lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
ITB

Post by ITB »

Check this video by Linn
LinnCast - LP12 Care
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ITB wrote: 2020-09-20 09:32 Check this video by Linn
LinnCast - LP12 Care
Good one, thanks for posting and welcome.
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-18 22:02 Magic erasers work well in my experience. Different brand names in the UK and USA.
One of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Erasers-Dr-Hy ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Many brands in the UK. Home Bargains do it as Erase Away. It's melamine foam. The cleaning properties have been known about for yonks.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I cannot recommend it. I used it on my AT33 and it worked big time! So big that my AT33 ran out of steam in half a year!

Maybe I used it too often.

Remembering a tale about Ivor telling a person about the japanese and their relation to robots. You do not have to use the thing between your legs all the time. Once in a while is ok........ :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-20 11:25 Many brands in the UK. Home Bargains do it as Erase Away. It's melamine foam. The cleaning properties have been known about for yonks.
You can’t be serious!!! It will destroy any cartridge in seconds!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2020-09-20 11:52 You can’t be serious!!! It will destroy any cartridge in seconds!
Given it has roughly the same mechanism as the polyurethane gel sold by Audio Technica I somehow doubt your doom forecast.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

This is crazy.

The AT cleaner is a gel, specifically designed to clean styli. The magic eraser is a semi-rigid foam, with micro bubbles, like an Aero chocolate bar. The material surrounding the bubbles is a type of resin. Catch the stylus in one of those bubbles and your stylus/cantilever/suspension is toast!!!

Please desist with the obfuscations.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Melamine foam is very soft foam.

If lowering a stylus onto it is going to damage the stylus, lowering the stylus onto vinyl would be fatal.

https://youtu.be/rpC7Ku9rD9o

Obfuscation? Over your lack of knowledge of melamine?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I think we shall be careful here. The products on the marked differ in quality. We have to be very specific on what is recommended.

....and treat each other nicely, please. It works so much better on a forum like this. 😇
Playing cd’s…………
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Most melamine on the market for household cleaning has an exterior coating, usually white. That's why every video I found on its use advised cutting it into slices.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-20 16:18 Melamine foam is very soft foam.

If lowering a stylus onto it is going to damage the stylus, lowering the stylus onto vinyl would be fatal.

https://youtu.be/rpC7Ku9rD9o

Obfuscation? Over your lack of knowledge of melamine?
The video at 6m 30s + makes my point. Hoisted by your own petard, I do believe. Anyone who uses a magic eraser to clean their stylus is taking a totally unnecessary risk.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-20 16:28 Most melamine on the market for household cleaning has an exterior coating, usually white. That's why every video I found on its use advised cutting it into slices.
That’s even worse! The exterior coating is relatively smooth. The interior is a nightmare waiting to happen!