Liquid stylus treatments on Kandid.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Liquid stylus treatments on Kandid.

Post by FairPlayMotty »

By doing what he recommends you don't do?
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2020-09-20 16:38
That’s even worse! The exterior coating is relatively smooth. The interior is a nightmare waiting to happen!
You do make me smile Spannko.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote: 2020-09-20 16:22 I think we shall be careful here. The products on the marked differ in quality. We have to be very specific on what is recommended.

....and treat each other nicely, please. It works so much better on a forum like this. 😇
Exactly!

Mind your manners, boys!

What I suspect may be a problem here is not just the specific material being recommended, but also how to use it.

Maybe spannko thinks the melamine should be rubbed against the stylus tip, which sounds dangerous. Maybe FPM means it should be dipped in it, just like I do with silly putty. Please clarify!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I think only one boy needs to mind his manners. The video has the method. There are tons out there. The latest Spannko gotcha moment was the caveat at the end of the video.

Anyone who doesn't take care when cleaning a stylus needs a new brain and perhaps a new stylus :)
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Dipping carefully is the way, whether with silly putty, melamine or polyurethane gel. The techniques are very similar.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-20 16:57 I think only one boy needs to mind his manners. The video has the method. There are tons out there. The latest Spannko gotcha moment was the caveat at the end of the video.

Anyone who doesn't take care when cleaning a stylus needs a new brain and perhaps a new stylus :)
No, he is not the only one. Ironic and condescending comments like "You do make me smile" do not contribute to a friendly and helpful climate.

Instead of making it necessary to click on links and watch videos to understand a subject, one can simply include some helpful information.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

It was meant as neither ironic or condescending. The post did make me smile. Putting interpretations on other people's words can mislead.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-20 00:02 It's not controversy for me Fredrik. I simply reckon all those long term diamond tip manufacturers know you can use the type of abrasives Linn recommends. Not one recommends any abrasive as far as I can see. Linn paper is just like the very mild abrasive paper jewelry makers use - but at a premium.

Interestingly the cartridge manufacturers do have a variety of recommended cleaning solutions. I sort of expected some degree of consensus.
I believe that the UK Dynavector distributor includes green paper with the cartridges they ship to dealers. It is indeed the type of very mild abrasive, basically a polishing paper, that jewelry makers use and hence polishes the diamond nicely. It is also the only thing I have found that can get truly crusted on gunk off the stylus. Plus, since we give it away to customers I hardly see how it is at a premium.

In regard to other posts further down I would have a hard time recommending the magic eraser for stylus cleaning. We have some here we use for other cleaning and the cellular nature bothers me as well. It is one thing when you have something specific like one of the gel cleaners that you dip the stylus into. But trying to make sure people take an item they usually use for scrubbing and just dip the stylus into it is just asking for trouble. And I have the customer stories to prove it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-09-22 18:20 Plus, since we give it away to customers I hardly see how it is at a premium.
I haven't been in a U.S. HiFi store. But I have bought in the UK (typically ~£10) and Australia (~$25). I do most shopping online these days (Covid etc.). It's roughly the same price online as it is in the shops I've used. If you search for similar grade jewellery sandpaper you can get large sheets for ~£5. The difference is the premium.

I suspect we can agree that ANY method of cleaning a stylus can lead to damage. Whatever method you use take great care. I've cleaned styli for more than forty years using an assortment of methods. To date I haven't broken a stylus or cartridge.