Why do we do it?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Why do we do it?

Post by beck »

Why buy expensive hifi gear when you could buy a cheap guitar and amp and play real blues.

https://youtu.be/JyWN9kid3XA Listen from 6.17

After a while listening this leaves me cold too:

https://youtu.be/oVrB7DlEeMM

I could go on and on with examples.

We all get to “marry” the pretty girl but what about “love”?

Just letting out steam. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Why do we do it?

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I listened to both links, in their entirety. And they both sounded okay, but ultimately I would have to actually listen in person for any meaningful thoughts and opinions. On the first link, the salesman slammed class D power supplies, which I've heard from others as well. And he did bring up the cost of using copper instead of aluminum, and how that impacts sound. On the second link, I'm wondering if the television has an impact on the sound, with it's speakers and reflective glass front...plus all the other reflective surfaces too.

Just goes to show, its' different strokes for different folks!

Thanks for posting...
beck wrote: 2020-09-03 11:37 Why buy expensive hifi gear when you could buy a cheap guitar and amp and play real blues.

https://youtu.be/JyWN9kid3XA Listen from 6.17

After a while listening this leaves me cold too:

https://youtu.be/oVrB7DlEeMM

I could go on and on with examples.

We all get to “marry” the pretty girl but what about “love”?

Just letting out steam. :-)
Tony Tune-age
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Well after hearing those presentations I can see why you say that beck. BORING sound... I would rather play my Canned Heat records and hear Alan Wilson blowing harp on my Briks than hear that Wilson/Dan sound with that blues. The speakers alone cost more than my entire system. And the second Linn Exakt system is okay but I get the feeling that passive Akubariks might be worth considering if I ever feel like the peak of 1992 Isobarik performance has been reached. After doing the Karousel and EKOS SE/1 upgrades, I can tell the Isobariks still continue to improve. Why do we do it? Well when I focus on source first upgrades and get great improvements in my listening room that is why I do it. The bass from the Isobariks is just amazing to my ears. I played an old mono Duke Ellington, Blues in Orbit LP the other day recorded in 1959. The stand up bass player excellent as you could hear all the notes on that fretboard swinging, jazzy. Even though this is a mono record, he was right there mostly in the right speaker. This being a mono record played in stereo. Tony is right, different strokes for different folks and some people just get a thrill by spending six figures on kit.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, I bought somewhat expensive Hi-Fi because I can't play guitar and tablas by themselves gets boring rather quickly. But I bought the specific somewhat expensive Hi-Fi so I could truly enjoy the music and wouldn't have to listen to equipment as egregiously bad as that in the first clip. But since that type of equipment is targeted at audio show-offs, not music lovers, (as Hummers are targeted at automotive show-offs, not drivers) I don't think they care if we like it.

The big problem is that you can find SO many examples of this kind of sound that you could end up building up steam rather than letting it off. Life is more beautiful when you look at the trees, sky and clouds than when you stare at the sewers. ;-)

Put another way, WE don't do it!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-09-03 17:19 Life is more beautiful when you look at the trees, sky and clouds............
:-)
Playing cd’s…………