Cord option

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Cord option

Post by bonzo »

Good afternoon everyone. Quick ? Please. I’m in US and plan to have a dedicated 220 line run for my gear. For the purpose of connection/installation, does it matter if a 4 prong or 3 prong wall receptacle are used? If not,‘ will Any 220v 3 prong power cord suffice? Linn and Lejonklou are auto sensing, not worried here. (Basically I want to be able to connect my gear to the new 220 line to be able to enjoy it as quickly as possible, then I will seek to source proper Lejonklou Power one cord or comparable quality power cord).
Thanks for your time eveuone.
Jon.
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cord option

Post by lejonklou »

Hello Jon!

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 3 or 4 prong. Maybe some pictures could help?

Please be aware that while my preamps Sagatun and Sagatun Mono are autorange, my power amps and the integrated Boazu is not. They will need an internal modification of the power supplies. So do NOT connect your Tundra Mono's wired for 115 Volts to 230 Volts AC. The power supplies will break!
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Well I’m sooo glad I asked the question! That would be horrible.
When I said 3 or 4 prong I was referring the the “male” end of the power cord, and how many connectors/prongs there are. I will try to post an image.

Last question: could I Keep my Monos running the way they are @110v and have KK, K Radikal connected to 220?

Final question.. what specifically would I need to do to have the Monos changed to operate at 220v? I bought them from Tom.. would I have to send to him?

Thanks for your time
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

bonzo wrote: 2020-08-17 21:16 Last question: could I Keep my Monos running the way they are @110v and have KK, K Radikal connected to 220?
That should be no problem. However, it's an advantage if the mains grounds are connected pretty close to one another. I'm not sure that will be the case when you have two different mains supplies? I have no idea what this kind of installation looks like.

Yes, your power amps will likely have to take a trip to Thomas O'Keefe for the conversion. But ask him whether there's anyone closer to you that he can instruct.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Here are examples of 220v power cords, they each are “3 prong” however they are different.
Could either one be used for what I’m looking to do?

https://www.americord.com/power-cords/2 ... cords.html

***i hope the link works..
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You have to decide which power cords to use and pick the outlet that matches. I would personally use European Shuko outlets, as there are really good sounding power cords easily available.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi Jon, long time no hear. I hope you are doing well. You have gotten into an area that can be a major can of worms. The problem is that 230 Volts is not the standard voltage in the US but does come into most households at two 115 Volt feeds that are 180 degrees out of phase. So when the two phases are wired properly and used together it totals 230 Volts. This is normally only used for things that have a high current draw that would be a problem with 115 Volts. Examples are electric stoves and dryers, large heaters for garages and many pro level power tools (as well as my Tesla). Problem one is that, for some reason that is beyond me but probably has to do with electrical regulations (or just spiteful competitiveness) there are several different plugs that are used for 230 Volts here as opposed to the two used for 115 Volts (one without separate ground). Part of this is that there are also different amounts of amperage that can go over a 230 Volt circuit so the plug for 50 amps is different from one for 30 amps, but there are still a few different ones for 30 amps. So much for standardization.

Just to make it more difficult none of them are the same as what is used in Europe or the UK. This means that you won't be able to get Lejonklou, Linn, etc. power cables with any of these connectors. You also will not be able to get outlet strips with any of these connectors. I would say that getting one of the Shuko outlet strips recommended here and then re-terminating it with a plug that fits your socket might be the easiest way to go as you can then also get Lejonklou Shuko power cables (I can get some in for you if you want to go this way). However, I don't know if this will meet electrical safety standards here as they probably aren't certified for the US. There are other ways to do this too but not that I would post here.

The Tundra Monos would have to come back to me so that the modification could be done properly (correct solder, temperature, direction, torques, etc.) but is not complex nor too costly and I could turn them around quickly.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.