CIRKUS Vs KAROUSEL TAKE 2 (See Results)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

CIRKUS Vs KAROUSEL TAKE 2 (See Results)

Post by Lego »

Sorry in advance for any anomalies in these clips.My phone is low budget .
Which do you prefer

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Ibb-b ... p=drivesdk FUDGE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14FrNvL ... p=drivesdk PLAYSTATION
Last edited by Lego on 2020-08-20 22:43, edited 11 times in total.
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: CIRKUS Vs KAROUSEL TAKE 2

Post by Charlie1 »

Audio seemed fine on those two.

I prefer PlayStation over fudge.

Good sound.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I also prefer Playstation (the second clip) to Fudge. More nuace and more fun to listen to!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I hear the timing as split on the PlayStation clip.

I react more when hearing the two mistakes the trompet player makes on fudge. I hear it as a more natural “live” sound. I like the together feeling on fudge. My guess is fudge is cirkus.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Listening again this morning, I'm gonna change to fudge
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Darn it, I'm changing my mind as well!

Today I listened with headphones and the bass makes more sense on Fudge. On PlayStation it's more one-note and doesn't relate as well to the band. This I didn't hear at all on the phone speakers.

Fudge gets my vote.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I find this style of music quite a challenge to listen to - on first listen I found it difficult to predict the timing of notes on both tracks.

On repeated listen via PC headphones, I find it marginally easier to predict notes on Fudge, but it's pretty close.

The trumpet player's mistake also sounds more painful on playstation
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
jewa

Post by jewa »

PlayStation sounds live and the Fudge sounds more like a recording.

I agree that Fudge has a nice groove. But this players seems more happy in Playstation and you can hear them interacting.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-08-14 09:26 I find this style of music quite a challenge to listen to - on first listen I found it difficult to predict the timing of notes on both tracks.
Same here.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego, please advise me which of the posts in this thread to keep (because they are serious comparisons) and which ones to delete. Now there are a bunch of names and numbers and it's just confusing. I have already deleted six posts with broken links and jokes about broken links.

There needs to be order in these threads with clip comparisons, otherwise no one will bother to read them and even less feel an urge to contribute.

Checklist:
• The purpose of the comparison should be clearly defined ('I want to confuse you' is not a valid one)
• The alternatives should be clearly stated and preferably no more than two at a time (there are exceptions like when searching for an optimal torque, where more than two can be preferable)
• The clips should be presented and labeled in a way that makes sense (A: track1, B: track1, A: track2, B: track2, etc)
• If the comparison is blind, state the approximate time when the answer will be revealed
• Keep the joking and chatting down
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Playstation for me. Fudge sounded less musical, more HiFi.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

John 2 for me but they were close.

Love his albums and unique vocal style. Wish he'd been a nicer human.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Great work on the clips! Good to get a like for like comparison set. Brings the debate into sharper focus.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-08-14 14:08 Lego, please advise me which of the posts in this thread to keep (because they are serious comparisons) and which ones to delete. Now there are a bunch of names and numbers and it's just confusing. I have already deleted six posts with broken links and jokes about broken links.

There needs to be order in these threads with clip comparisons, otherwise no one will bother to read them and even less feel an urge to contribute.

Checklist:
• The purpose of the comparison should be clearly defined ('I want to confuse you' is not a valid one)
• The alternatives should be clearly stated and preferably no more than two at a time (there are exceptions like when searching for an optimal torque, where more than two can be preferable)
• The clips should be presented and labeled in a way that makes sense (A: track1, B: track1, A: track2, B: track2, etc)
• If the comparison is blind, state the time when the answer will be revealed
• Keep the joking and chatting down
Sorry Fredrik,it's been an age since I've used drop box and the links were blocking me ,and didn't have time to amend ,I'll post a few more when I've finished work .
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I enjoy John 1 more. John 2 is annoying me for some reason.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

For some reason I find the differences in your clips Leo too small to really make sense out of them. If it is the speakers, cables or something else I do not know.
Rather surprising to me as it was not difficult to hear clear differences In ThomasOK’s clips.

I will leave Daphne, Maggie and John 1 and 2 alone and just try my luck with fudge. I do not thrust myself with these clips.

P.S. The best I got out of listening was to get to hear your voice and your accent Leo. For a non brit like me you sound great. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Both tracks were musical and rhythmic. But something special happened here that hasn't happened on previous listening tests I have done on this forum. When I heard Playstation for the first time (2 plays) I thought it was significantly better than fudge (also 2 plays). But then, when I listened to fudge a second time (second set of 2 plays) I somehow could understand it more easily than when I heard it the first time, and this time I found it more enjoyable than Playstation. It was as if listening to the playstation recording allowed me to better understand and follow the fudge recording! Then I listened to both recording several times, always 2 plays for each recording before changing. For a while I was hedging my bets on preferring fudge. But finally I made these conclusions: Playstation was clearer than fudge. Fudge was less effortful to follow than Playstation, making the song more pleasurable (or pleasant) than on the Playstation recording. The many nuances of the track's rhythm were revealed more on the Playstation recording, making the song more rhythmically engaging than the fudge recording. Conclusions? Both were great but in different ways. I could listen blissfully away to fudge. I was drawn into mad rhythmic engagement by Playstation.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sorry for all the confusion here are 2 of the same tracks .One is the Karousel the other is the Cirkus ,which one do you prefer .

A) https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5uxwn91p2wbn ... 7.mp4?dl=0

B)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vguwyl4hlui16 ... 6.mp4?dl=0
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

beck wrote: 2020-08-14 18:21 For some reason I find the differences in your clips Leo too small to really make sense out of them. If it is the speakers, cables or something else I do not know.
Rather surprising to me as it was not difficult to hear clear differences In ThomasOK’s clips.

I will leave Daphne, Maggie and John 1 and 2 alone and just try my luck with fudge. I do not thrust myself with these clips.

P.S. The best I got out of listening was to get to hear your voice and your accent Leo. For a non brit like me you sound great. :-)
Thanks Beck ,it was closer than I thought but one was definitely better than the other ie much more musical in that I found myself reacting to the music with one much more than the other .
Last edited by Lego on 2020-08-14 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Second Joe Henderson clip for me.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

B & 2 :-)
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-08-14 14:08 • If the comparison is blind, state the time when the answer will be revealed
Fredrik,

From experience the credibility of the results is viewed by many forum members as dependent on participation by key Tune Dem experts. Their time may not be available - we all get busy. So I would find it tough to put a calendar date as a deadline. Do you see where I'm coming from?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm struggling a bit as well perhaps cos it's mostly jazz. Maybe I need to use an apple device tomorrow as I do find them better.