Karousel Vs Cirkus

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Karousel Vs Cirkus

Post by Lego »

2 identical 3 month old LP12s one with Cirkus one with Karousel ,which do you prefer

A)https://vimeo.com/447543362

B)https://vimeo.com/447541402

More to follow when the sun goes down
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Karousel Vs Cirkus

Post by Charlie1 »

JH2 for me please
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-08-13 18:35 JH2 for me please
+1
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

There's severe distortion in the beginning of one file and both have lots of tiny crackling noises in the left channel, which is also lower in volume.

I suggest not using Vimeo (or YouTube) in the future, but instead clean recordings put on Dropbox (which has its own problems, but they are not as flagrant). Why? Because judging clips, in particular in-room clips, is a very convenient and educational, but also inherently flawed method of evaluation. If the purpose of the comparison is to highlight musical differences, recordings must be made and treated with care.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

JH1
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-08-13 19:46 There's severe distortion in the beginning of one file and both have lots of tiny crackling noises in the left channel, which is also lower in volume.

I suggest not using Vimeo (or YouTube) in the future, but instead clean recordings put on Dropbox (which has its own problems, but they are not as flagrant). Why? Because judging clips, in particular in-room clips, is a very convenient and educational, but also inherently flawed method of evaluation. If the purpose of the comparison is to highlight musical differences, recordings must be made and treated with care.
Fredrik ,I'm really sorry the distortion is on the files ,I think the volume on the amp was too loud ..I'll use gdrive for the next set .It wasn't an ideal situation for doing clips .
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-08-13 19:46 There's severe distortion in the beginning of one file and both have lots of tiny crackling noises in the left channel, which is also lower in volume.

I suggest not using Vimeo (or YouTube) in the future, but instead clean recordings put on Dropbox (which has its own problems, but they are not as flagrant). Why? Because judging clips, in particular in-room clips, is a very convenient and educational, but also an inherently flawed method of evaluation. If the purpose of the comparison is to highlight musical differences, recordings must be made and treated with care.
Having listened to the above Vimeo clips Fredrik the initial distortion was caused by the volume being too high and smartphones cant adjust recording levels, luckily the volume was quickly reduced. The continual 'distortion' you heard on the left channel was that unusual sound of Ian(on my left) rustling about with inner record sleeves,which obviously doesn't help.

Even on Vimeo I can still hear the massive musical differences.
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote: 2020-08-17 11:11 Having listened to the above Vimeo clips Fredrik the initial distortion was caused by the volume being too high and smartphones cant adjust recording levels, luckily the volume was quickly reduced. The continual 'distortion' you heard on the left channel was that unusual sound of Ian(on my left) rustling about with inner record sleeves,which obviously doesn't help.

Even on Vimeo I can still hear the massive musical differences.
The same track is also in your "CIRKUS Vs KAROUSEL TAKE 2" thread. Are those the same two recordings or different ones using the same track?

Unfortunately, I found these difficult to judge, not sure why.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Yes same recordings.Sorry you struggle to hear the differences.
I know that tune
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Lego wrote: 2020-08-13 18:09 2 identical 3 month old LP12s one with Cirkus one with Karousel ,which do you prefer

I'm hearing a difference, but not sure which is better. I'll listen again, after taking a break.
Tony Tune-age
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-08-19 23:25
Lego wrote: 2020-08-13 18:09 2 identical 3 month old LP12s one with Cirkus one with Karousel ,which do you prefer

I'm hearing a difference, but not sure which is better. I'll listen again, after taking a break.
What differences do you hear ?
I know that tune
Emil

Post by Emil »

JH2 for me, too. As I have experience with both bearings, I'm guessing which one is this, but let's wait for the official results.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Lego,
Very very hard ... but let me make mistake ... :-)))
A or JH2 for me ... and let me guess it's Karousel;
B or JH1 = Cirkus ...

Please, don't burn me ... I will be better next time, I promise ... :-)))
Music First ...
Vlado
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

Very interesting clips, since I am not so familiar with this record or the music.
My immediate reaction is b), more subtle, more details about how the trumpet (?) is played. But then a) has more smoothing sound, more like the Linn LP12 I am used to in my memory. I am getting a little bit disturbed by the details in b).

I prefer the easier on my ear a) even tough b) is very interesting to listen to. If I was really into this type of music I don't know, maybe I would chose b) without regrets.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-08-20 10:54

Hi Lego,
Very very hard ... but let me make mistake ... :-)))
A or JH2 for me ... and let me guess it's Karousel;
B or JH1 = Cirkus ...

Please, don't burn me ... I will be better next time, I promise ... :-)))
It's ok V.A nobody's going to burn you ,it's just what do you prefer.

Although that could change when I hand these results over to Ivor
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Robert Lake wrote: 2020-08-20 11:14 Very interesting clips, since I am not so familiar with this record or the music.
My immediate reaction is b), more subtle, more details about how the trumpet (?) is played. But then a) has more smoothing sound, more like the Linn LP12 I am used to in my memory. I am getting a little bit disturbed by the details in b).

I prefer the easier on my ear a) even tough b) is very interesting to listen to. If I was really into this type of music I don't know, maybe I would chose b) without regrets.
That pretty much sums up what I feel as well.

This was the most difficult track for me, as I felt there was something better about both. But A (JH2) is what I'd choose if I had to pick one of them.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Using headphones on PC.

I played JH2 first 3 times to familiarise myself with the timing and confidently predict notes.

I then played JH1. I could not discern any difference in my ability to predict notes.

I found the initial plays of JH2 rather unengaging, but when I played JH1 I had no problem listening to the end. On returning to JH2 I also had no trouble listening, so I think that was just lack of familiarity with the music.

I noticed more detail in each note of the trumpet on JH1, but when I returned to JH2 I could also hear them, though to a lesser degree: I just hadn't noticed before switching to JH1.

On replay of JH1 and JH2 I find them equally engaging. I liked the additional information in JH1 and did not find it distracting, but it's also not a great difference.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-08-20 12:18 Using headphones on PC.

I played JH2 first 3 times to familiarise myself with the timing and confidently predict notes.

I then played JH1. I could not discern any difference in my ability to predict notes.

I found the initial plays of JH2 rather unengaging, but when I played JH1 I had no problem listening to the end. On returning to JH2 I also had no trouble listening, so I think that was just lack of familiarity with the music.

I noticed more detail in each note of the trumpet on JH1, but when I returned to JH2 I could also hear them, though to a lesser degree: I just hadn't noticed before switching to JH1.

On replay of JH1 and JH2 I find them equally engaging. I liked the additional information in JH1 and did not find it distracting, but it's also not a great difference.

Both are very fine but, more importantly, who’s that phenomenal player and what record prey tell?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

rps20200820_132942.jpg
Great album!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Lego wrote: 2020-08-20 07:55
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-08-19 23:25

What differences do you hear ?
It sounds like the music is playing at a different distance ( third row vs. first row). And although the audio clips are a little different sounding, it's hard for me to say which is actually more musical. As previously stated, my computer and speakers simply aren't musical. And after awhile, it gets boring trying to hear the differences. But the good news is, when I do get bored...I just turn off the computer and listen to my turntable instead!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Have they been recorded at same levels? Clip B seems quite loud in this respect (and not just initially as commented).

I couldn't give the nod to one or other musically but certainly there was a big difference to my ears. Clip A felt like listening to a record, Clip B felt like the players were in the room.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Karousel -JH2
Last edited by Lego on 2020-08-20 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Discodave wrote: 2020-08-20 21:13 Have they been recorded at same levels? Clip B seems quite loud in this respect (and not just initially as commented).

I couldn't give the nod to one or other musically but certainly there was a big difference to my ears. Clip A felt like listening to a record, Clip B felt like the players were in the room.
A was Karousel
I know that tune
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Just shows you! I would have thought, given the board commentary, that it would have been the other way round. I hasten to add I have only heard Cirkus in real life, not Karousel
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Given I didnt hear much difference in musicality my preference would be for the Cirkus/B in this instance.