DACs in a Kisto

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

neonmeatedream

DACs in a Kisto

Post by neonmeatedream »

Katalyst aside, how do you think the DAC in a Kisto would perform against modern day equivalents?

Has DAC tech moved on so much that even a modest, non Linn, streamer would provide better performance?
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: DACs in a Kisto

Post by springwood64 »

I can't comment on the Kisto, but I suspect you will find a Hakai streamer much more enjoyable.

I used a Kinos for about 5 years, using the DAC for music and for video. Prior to that I had a couple of versions of the AV5103. The Kinos was an improvement over the AV5103, itself an improvement over a very early AV5103. However even the Kinos was never good enough for me to spend an evening listening to digital music.

I used a variety of digital sources, such as PC-based systems like Kodi, or recently Sonos Connect to drive the optical input of the DAC.

I have in the last week or so assembled a low cost Hakai-inspired streamer and I am now finding digital music evening listening sessions really enjoyable in a way that was never the case before. My new streamer cost around £210 all told, so about 2/3 the cost of the system it replaces and it is vastly more enjoyable.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The DAC is the last and musically least important part of a digital source.
neonmeatedream

Post by neonmeatedream »

Thanks for input guys. Unfortunately my knowledge and skill levels would prevent me from building on of the Hakai Streamers, is there an option to buy them pre-built?

With regards to the DACs, perhaps then my question was poorly worded. I'm potentially looking to move from using my Kisto's digital input to something standalone, but would continue to use it as a pre amp.

My main requirement is the ability to use local media, eg FLACs on an external hard drive. I really want to avoid the frankly irritating hassle and additional cost of correctly matching up NAS drives, routers and CAT cables in order to get the best performance from Linn equipment. I don't have any immediate desire to stream either.

Why Linn haven't enabled the use of local media, when all other manufacturers seem to, is beyond me, i know the Select allows Audio USB-B, but I dont want to hook up a computer, just an HDD.

So, would upgrading to even a modest digital streamer deliver better results than my current set up of a Sony BluRay/SACD with a HDD atached being fed into the digital input of the Kisto?

I know it's a bit Heath Robinson, but it works and the sound to my ears is very good, but I can't help but think an even better sound would be available quite easily.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I think you probably could use a single box streamer with snakeoil configured to read music from a USB disk.

No idea how it would sound but an Oz Hakai would be a cheap way for you to experiment
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Pete,

Does your figure of £210 cover a separate OzHakai server and player?

I'm interested purely because the last two PCs I bought which could be used to build an OzHakai cost less than a £100 for the pair. If I add the cost of the DAC, cables, Intel 320s etc. I believe it's perfectly possible to build both a server and streamer with plenty of storage space for less than £300.
Last edited by FairPlayMotty on 2020-07-23 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

neonmeatedream wrote: 2020-07-08 17:22 Thanks for input guys. Unfortunately my knowledge and skill levels would prevent me from building on of the Hakai Streamers, is there an option to buy them pre-built?
You can buy pre-built Intel motherboard OzHakai PCs for around ~£50. From there all you would have to do is buy a used Intel 320 SSD, DAC, load SnakeOil OS (it's relatively straightforward but if you ran into problems there are people on the forum who would help you along with Agent_Kith who developed the software). Depending on the PC you bought you might need to buy a sata cable. PM me if you need any further information.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-07-23 11:05 I think you probably could use a single box streamer with snakeoil configured to read music from a USB disk.

No idea how it would sound but an Oz Hakai would be a cheap way for you to experiment
For a long time I used my Hakai server (with SSDs almost full of flac files) as a second player in a bedroom. It's typically how the Australians configure their streamers. A one box approach. Its sound quality is not on a par with a separate server/player approach but it's still HiFi quality sound.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-07-08 15:31 The DAC is the last and musically least important part of a digital source.
Interesting! I always believed the DAC was the heart of the digital source, presuming it would have quite the influence on musicality.

I used the Kisto DAC to boost a marantz cd player and a lowly chromecast streamer. It did a great job here given the caveat of relativity. It also did for TV/Movies where it was fantastic. For many running a TT, CD and Streamer involves compromise on spend and to this end the Kisto was sublime. I too had the AV5103 and the Kinos beforehand for much the same reasons.

I then invested in a Majik DS which was an obvious jump in form from Chromecast/Kisto. I tested the Majik through the Kisto DAC and while good the Majiks own trumped it.

I mainly use it in analogue these days and as a preamp it is still wonderful.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109