Indoor FM aerial recommendation.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Indoor FM aerial recommendation.

Post by Lego »

Last year some builders working on our roof inadvertently through out my Kremlin's Ron Smith galaxy aerial.
Although not an issue at the moment with no live broadcasts it be good get it up and running again.
I remember getting a reasonably musical but noisy reception with the cheap copper wire but wondering if there's anything else out there.
Many thanks in advance
I know that tune
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Indoor FM aerial recommendation.

Post by V.A.MKD »

Lego wrote: 2020-06-21 22:08 Last year some builders working on our roof inadvertently through out my Kremlin's Ron Smith galaxy aerial.
Although not an issue at the moment with no live broadcasts it be good get it up and running again.
I remember getting a reasonably musical but noisy reception with the cheap copper wire but wondering if there's anything else out there.
Many thanks in advance
Hi Lego,
Yes, here on Forum is very good recommendation ...
Here is the link: https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=923
Check it, I think, it will help a lot ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-22 08:21
Lego wrote: 2020-06-21 22:08 Last year some builders working on our roof inadvertently threw out my Kremlin's Ron Smith galaxy aerial.
Many thanks in advance
Hi Lego,
Many thanks VAMKD ,I saw an interesting looking device in the photos according to Google lens it's a
Radio Shack Archer FM 88-108MHz Radio Amplified Antenna Model No. 15-1821D Black .
I know that tune
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Lego wrote: 2020-06-22 08:48
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-22 08:21 Hi Lego,
Many thanks VAMKD ,I saw an interesting looking device in the photos according to Google lens it's a
Radio Shack Archer FM 88-108MHz Radio Amplified Antenna Model No. 15-1821D Black .
Thank you Lego ...
Do you have experience with this antenna?
Music First ...
Vlado
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-22 09:26
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-22 08:21 Hi Lego,
Thank you Lego ...
None whatsoever VAMKD ,I'm not even sure you can buy it in the UK.Do you have any thoughts on its performance,I suppose it's only as good as the environment.
I know that tune
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Lego wrote: 2020-06-22 11:46
Lego wrote: 2020-06-22 08:48 Many thanks VAMKD ,I saw an interesting looking device in the photos according to Google lens it's a
Thank you Lego ...
None whatsoever VAMKD ,I'm not even sure you can buy it in the UK.Do you have any thoughts on its performance,I suppose it's only as good as the environment.
No, I don't know how it sounds.
Here I talk with Tony and Tom (link that i sent you) and they are very satisfied with antenna ... their recommendation is very very good and respectable ... so my decision will follow Tony's and Tom's steps ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-22 12:44
Lego wrote: 2020-06-22 11:46
Thank you Lego ...
No, I don't know how it sounds.
Here I talk with Tony and Tom (link that i sent you) and they are very satisfied with antenna ... their recommendation is very very good and respectable ... so my decision will follow Tony's and Tom's steps ...
That's good enough for me VAMKD 😁
I know that tune
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-22 08:21
Lego wrote: 2020-06-21 22:08 Last year some builders working on our roof inadvertently threw out my Kremlin's Ron Smith galaxy aerial.
Many thanks in advance
Hi Lego,
I would definitely recommend against an amplified antenna with and modern FM tuner. I've never heard one that worked properly (improved musical reception). Most decent tuners have circuits that sense the incoming signal strength and change how the signal is handled to compensate for weak signals. The amplification throws that circuit off by giving a stronger signal but not a better one. The Kremiln likes a strong, clean signal and a decent antenna without amplification is needed for that. Too bad they threw out your Ron Smith as they have a good reputation, although I have never heard one. Also Radio Shack has been out of business for over a year so the only way you would find something like that unit would be used or NOS.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Indeed Thomas thanks .I was hoping that there was one out there that bucked the trend .I think I'll just go back to the T copper wire as I remember it having quite a nice warm musical sound though very hissy. Probably a farewell session .
I know that tune