Apple Airport Express

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Apple Airport Express

Post by sunbeamgls »

David Neel wrote: 2020-06-18 17:44 Yes, the magazine is out, and I've read the review. The link provided earlier does not give the full picture, because it is only part of a joint review of two switches, and the first review of the Russ Andrews RANS-1 (which was not included in the link) explains some important context. I hope it's okay to quote brief extracts from the RA review.

"my current reference switch (the best tried in this system so far): a new old stock Cisco Catalyst 2960"

"two locations on the network: first at the data entry and control point for the incoming WiFi via the Apple Airport Express (linked wirelessly to the main upstairs router), and then at the heart of the system where served data and control meet to feed, via a short selected cable, the Naim ND555 network player..."

"It (the RA switch) obviously sounded clearly better than the popular and inexpensive wall-wart powered Netgear GS108 and its ilk, which I have tried with both standard switch mode and linear power supply options, the latter proving superior."

The findings on the RA switch versus the Cisco are nuanced, but I find it interesting that he rates the Cisco well above the Netgear, although it is not clear which GS108 version is involved, nor whether the Cisco power supply is standard.

On this basis, where I am reading that EE 8switch outperforms Cisco 2960, which has previously outperformed GS108, I am going to try the 8switch in my own system, and see whether I get any more musical satisfaction than at the Bristol show.
Do I read this correct that an Airport Express is forming a fundamental part of connectivity in this network? I'm not up on Apple technology but I have heard about it having quite high jitter - is that relelvant to the way it is being used in this network? Or is it just being used as ethernet wifi and other limitations of the product are not relevant?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Apple Airport Express

Post by David Neel »

I understood that the Airport Express provides a wireless link to the main router and thus the outside world and/or other sub-networks. I only use an LSNAS as a filesource, so this should have no bearing, if it were my system. I can't see where filesources are discussed in the review, except the references to a Naim Unitiserve filestore (Colloms) and an unspecified NAS (Everard). There is no explicit mention of Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Airport Express

Post by Ron The Mon »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-06-19 16:17
David Neel wrote: 2020-06-18 17:44 "two locations on the network: first at the data entry and control point for the incoming WiFi via the Apple Airport Express (linked wirelessly to the main upstairs router), and then at the heart of the system where served data and control meet to feed, via a short selected cable, the Naim ND555 network player..."
Do I read this correct that an Airport Express is forming a fundamental part of connectivity in this network? I'm not up on Apple technology but I have heard about it having quite high jitter - is that relelvant to the way it is being used in this network? Or is it just being used as ethernet wifi and other limitations of the product are not relevant?
sunbeamgls,
How does "jitter" affect tune-dem? Specifically, if an Airport Express has higher jitter than another product, does that guarantee it will sound worse? Also, what are the "limitations of the product"?

The Apple Airport Express is one of the best sounding DACs out there. And it is more than a DAC; a LOT more. If you want to have some fun, pick up a second generation model; they sell for around $25 used. If you have an older AppleTV, for a few dollars, an AE will give you improved performance.

I originally (seven years ago) bought an Airport Express just as a wireless access point. Because it has a weird small optical connector, it took me a while to use it as a streamer to outboard DAC. Many hi-fi forums at the time recommended the AppleTV for streaming and I was surprised how much better the Airport Express sounded. I have also tried just the analog output direct into my preamp and it sounds really good.

Before I go any further, I need to mention I am writing about the standard model, not the Base Station, Extreme, or Time Machine. Exactly which model is used in the review?

I still marvel at my Airport Express; I get very fast wi-fi throughout the entire house and into the back and front yard. The last time the cable guy was at my house he was parked in the street and told me his laptop had a super-fast connection better than he ever found from a customer. He had me go through the way I had all my ethernet and wireless components connected and thought it counterintuitive, but it works great.

At $99 new, the Airport Express is the best value, most durable audio product I've ever owned. It sounds great, is powered on 24/7, and updates everything automatically. I had one glitch a few years ago and had to do a reboot, that is it! I also have a non-wireless printer/scanner which is directly connected to it via USB and can print anything off any device on my network with the computers turned off. As I asked above, what are its' limitations?

I used to use Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil for Windows app on Microsoft computers and Android phones with great sounding success and no issues. I only use Apple products now, so for some people, an Airport Express is less versatile. However, as a WAP, I have tried a half dozen different models over the years recommended on hi-fi forums and none sounds better.

Ron The Mon
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Apple Airport Express

Post by sunbeamgls »

I asked an open question because I don't understand how it is being used in the reviewer's network and David Neel confirms it is not clear. My question even pointed out that its jitter may not be relevant to the way in which is is being used.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Apple Airport Express

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Apple Airport Express

Post by Lego »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2020-06-19 19:08
sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-06-19 16:17
David Neel wrote: 2020-06-18 17:44 "two locations on the network: first at the data entry and control point for the incoming WiFi via the Apple Airport Express (linked wirelessly to the main upstairs router), and then at the heart of the system where served data and control meet to feed, via a short selected cable, the Naim ND555 network player..."
sunbeamgls,
How does "jitter" affect tune-dem? Specifically, if an Airport Express has higher jitter than another product, does that guarantee it will sound worse? Also, what are the "limitations of the product"?

The Apple Airport Express is one of the best sounding DACs out there. And it is more than a DAC; a LOT more. If you want to have some fun, pick up a second generation model; they sell for around $25 used. If you have an older AppleTV, for a few dollars, an AE will give you improved performance.

I originally (seven years ago) bought an Airport Express just as a wireless access point. Because it has a weird small optical connector, it took me a while to use it as a streamer to outboard DAC. Many hi-fi forums at the time recommended the AppleTV for streaming and I was surprised how much better the Airport Express sounded. I have also tried just the analog output direct into my preamp and it sounds really good.

Before I go any further, I need to mention I am writing about the standard model, not the Base Station, Extreme, or Time Machine. Exactly which model is used in the review?

I still marvel at my Airport Express; I get very fast wi-fi throughout the entire house and into the back and front yard. The last time the cable guy was at my house he was parked in the street and told me his laptop had a super-fast connection better than he ever found from a customer. He had me go through the way I had all my ethernet and wireless components connected and thought it counterintuitive, but it works great.

At $99 new, the Airport Express is the best value, most durable audio product I've ever owned. It sounds great, is powered on 24/7, and updates everything automatically. I had one glitch a few years ago and had to do a reboot, that is it! I also have a non-wireless printer/scanner which is directly connected to it via USB and can print anything off any device on my network with the computers turned off. As I asked above, what are its' limitations?

I used to use Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil for Windows app on Microsoft computers and Android phones with great sounding success and no issues. I only use Apple products now, so for some people, an Airport Express is less versatile. However, as a WAP, I have tried a half dozen different models over the years recommended on hi-fi forums and none sounds better.

Ron The Mon
That sounds interesting Ron ,how would you recommend I'd use an airport express in my setup.I have Hakai ,Dac,Netgear router (no internet)Synology nas and Netgear switch .Whats your advice ?Thanks in advance
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: AIRPORT EXPRESS FIRMWARE UPGRADE CAUSES BAD AUDIO QUALITY

Post by Lego »

I know that tune