Twin/D vs non Dynamik Solo.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Linnie

Twin/D vs non Dynamik Solo.

Post by Linnie »

I know this is probably discussed before, but what would be the best option for driving a passiv pair of Akurate 242 MKII
I currently run them on a Twin/D , but have an opportunity for a small bit of extra money , trade in for a pair of non dynamik solo's
Source KDSM/1 and LP12
Any experience with this ?
KDSM/1 - Akubarik Aktiv
Ben Webster

Re: Twin/D vs non Dynamik Solo.

Post by Ben Webster »

Twin/D is faster than the old non Dynamik Solo.

But my experience is, that the passive 242 need Solos to sing. So I would prefer the Solos but it depends on the price. I wouldn’t mix these two amps for be-wiring.

A friend of mine replaced two non Dynamik Twins (Bi-amping) with two non Dynamik Solos and is now really happy with the 242.

Dynamik Solos are better :-)
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Linnie wrote: 2020-06-15 10:10 I know this is probably discussed before, but what would be the best option for driving a passiv pair of Akurate 242 MKII
I currently run them on a Twin/D , but have an opportunity for a small bit of extra money , trade in for a pair of non dynamik solo's
Source KDSM/1 and LP12
I would upgrade kdsm1 long before swapping a twin for solos.
Linnie

Post by Linnie »

anthony wrote: 2020-06-15 10:58
Linnie wrote: 2020-06-15 10:10 I know this is probably discussed before, but what would be the best option for driving a passiv pair of Akurate 242 MKII
Source KDSM/1 and LP12
I would upgrade kdsm1 long before swapping a twin for solos.
Swap for what ?
KDSM/1 - Akubarik Aktiv
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

I think Anthony's advise is to better invest in a Katalyst upgrade of your KDSM1 (source first) than to change the power amplifiers.

Should I limit myself to the first part of your question;
I know this is probably discussed before, but what would be the best option for driving a passiv pair of Akurate 242 MKII
………...my answer would actually be "Tundra stereo 2.5 or a set of Tundra monos 2.2" :-)

Regarding the choice between the Linn Klimax power amps I should say that
having heard a KCT/D vs undynamiked Solos a couple of years ago my preference went to Solos at the time.

An advantage may be that Solos are at this moment again upgradeable with Dynamik though Linn are not very consistent in their support. Earlier on they terminated the Dynamik upgrade possibility on Solos - while nowadays they're offering it again. Without this upgrade option you should take into account that their (reselling) value will be affected.

However I'd welcome you to also have a listen to the current Lejonklou Tundra Monos (v2.2) as an alternative to your Klimax Twin/D.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I think even a Tundra Stereo 2.5 would be a big upgrade on Klimax Twin/D.
Having done the Klimax Twin/D to Lejonklou Tundra Monos on 242 myself in the past, the improvement is massive. It was significant before the Tarandus upgrades, which were another new level.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Linnie

Post by Linnie »

I know I am on a Lejonklou Forum and that a lot of the members are very excited about Frederiks products. I had some years ago a pair of Lejonklou mono blocks on demo at home. At that time I was running my 242's with a non Dynamik Twin. I was not overly impressed by then , and it was not really my cup of tea. so at that point I decided to stay with my Linn amp.
Later I upgraded to a Dynamik version which was a nice improvement. As I can read that the Lejonklou amps in the mean time had a lot of upgrades, things might be different now. Still though I lean more to stay at the brand I have for more then 30 years, and always have been happy with.
KDSM/1 - Akubarik Aktiv
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

The Lejonklou and Linn amps are excellent.

I have gone though the journey from A200D to Solos non Dynamik then to Solos D; all with A242 Mk 2.

My findings were that the A200 couldn’t make the speakers sing. Change to non Dynamik Solos was a completely new world of music, so effortless and musical. Dynamik upgrade to Solos was yet another step up but not quite as much as the change from A200 to non Dynamik Solos.
I’ve heard and really like Lejonklou amps but haven’t heard them on A242.

If you have the opportunity to buy the Solos under a good deal, that’s the way I’d go. Also check the serial numbers with Linn to confirm manufacturing date and any repair history. MRCO99 has mentioned the Dynamik upgrade is available again; I didn’t know that; it would be the icing on the cake and you would get a 5 year warranty but it would cost nearly as much as used non Dynamik Solos.

In my opinion the A242 are superb speakers; second only to Akubariks which is the best current Linn speaker but my actual experience is the A242 need very high quality amps to bring them truly alive.

All the above just my opinion and others may have different experiences.

Hope that helps.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I don´t have much experience in A242 more than I yesterday got a pair secondhand. These are the mk1 version but with upgraded stands. They replaced my M140. I have a Sagatun/Tundra stereo amplifier. Wow they are really great speakers. The seller had Akurate DS system and I think my Lejonklou system with LP12 sounded so much better when I connected them at home. The sound was so tuneful and open. I think they are very revealing so you need to have very good source and that may be the reason why it sounded so much better back home. The seller had Tidal. I discovered that they need to be quite close together but very easy to find the sweet spot position, much easier than my M140 for some reason.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Congrats on your new 242's! A great speaker! It does pay to work on the position down to the last mm though, so maybe if you haven't done that, invest some more time on a rainy day...
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-06-18 15:59 Congrats on your new 242's! A great speaker! It does pay to work on the position down to the last mm though, so maybe if you haven't done that, invest some more time on a rainy day...
Thanks! Haha you're probably right will do that.