Going AKTIV on Linn Majik 140’s

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

QlikView

Going AKTIV on Linn Majik 140’s

Post by QlikView »

Hello Forum,
Over the years, I have followed your discussions from the side and learnt a lot. Now I have a question that I have not seen discussed: I have a system of Majik DS, Kinos, Majik 6100/D and a set of Majik 140’s (Black interconnects and K600).
Great sound very happy. Now I have purchased a C2200 non Dynamik and the 8 T5x Aktiv cards needed.
I feel confident that I can manage the upgrade, but: How do I configure the channels best? 6100 to the super tweeter, tweeter and mid, and the 2200 to the bass? How do I chain it? M6100 Dynamik first and then C2200 (XLR)?
In the autumn, I can sneak in a Dynamik upgrade of the C2200 (I will have a wife issue if I run too fast).
Or should I sell the C2200 and get a M2100/D instead? They are priced very similar on Ebay...
I will appreciate your qualified inputs!
BR Jacob
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Going AKTIV on Linn Majik 140’s

Post by anthony »

Stay passive with 2200 and get an akurate ds and silver interconnects.
QlikView

Post by QlikView »

Thank You Anthony,
Not an answer I in anyway expected. That's something to test. I will test with C2200 passive with silver interconnects before rebuilding. Single or quad-wire?
But I have never had an Aktiv system, so now is the time to try it. I have the bits and parts. And I, who thought and dreamt that Aktiv would be the biggest uplift...
What about the Kinos? Would you also drop that? In current setup - before Aktiv - my preowned Kinos bargain has been a serios improvement, especially when playing at low volumes. Majik DS preamp is passed by far.

Any other inputs?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Well, you definitely need to do something about the source and Anthony's advice sounds good. But do get the DS/1 with the new front. Later you can upgrade the DS to Katalyst and get something quite a bit better. Alternatively you could get an Akurate DSM (which can later be upgraded to Katalyst)to replace both Majik DS and Kinos. I replaced an early ADS and a Kinos with an ADSM and was definitely happy with that.
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

Going active is tempting, but you will gain a far better sounding system swapping the Majik stuff and Kinos for the latest Katalyst Akurate DSM to use with your A2200. Then go single wired with either K200 or TQ blacks. Think you’ll be delighted!