Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The Balanced Mode Radiator sounds very interesting. Does anybody know where the technology originates from? I would be surprised if Naim have developed it all by themselves, even if the What HiFi text says "Naim's own".

I'm really interested in wide frequency range drivers. Today's precision in materials, measurements and manufacturing should make it possible to make them better than ever. And if going active you don't need a pile of amps.

I would love to give these a listen.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Found it. Although I've read about NXT flat panel speakers before, I've completely missed the BMR concept and that they were aiming for high fidelity as well as "sounding screens and walls".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NXT_SoundpaX
http://www.nxtsound.com/index.php?id=428

I think the Ovator would have looked better without that forward slanting upper surface... Seems to be a trend in loudspeaker enclosure design.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

They certainly look better than their Fl1 attempt.
Whatever happened to Guy Lamotte...?

http://membres.lycos.fr/jadai/GL/9041CMNA-CS-FL1.jpg
I know that tune
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

The Ovators look very interesting. In a way, there is a similarity to 242s. Similar price, similar size, the BMR covering all frequencies from about 350Hz up is similar to what Linn are conceptually doing with the 3k array, and then a pair of bass units to underpin the lower frequencies.

Naim's BMR, being a single driver, seems a much neater and simpler idea than having 3 seperate but closely spaced drivers. It also makes going active more affordable and actually attainable if going for top of the line amps. Would anyone seriously contemplate going for 10 solos on a pair of 242's?

Seems to be a lot of attention to detail in the Ovators, such as leaf-spring isolation for the BMR (3k array is bolted directly to 242's front baffle) and isolation built into the stand to isolate the main cabinet from the floor plus isolated/floating speaker sockets to reduce microphony at this connection point. Knowing Naim, the internal wiring will be soldered wherever possible unlike the Akurates with their extensive use of multi-way blocks and crimped connections.

The proof is in the listening though and thus far I prefer Linn speakers to Naims. Historically, I preferred Kans to SBLs but more recently (about 3 years ago) it was hearing (and preferring) a pair of Katans against a pair of Naim speakers 3x the cost that eventually switched me onto Linn. From Naim I've owned the following speakers: IBLs, SBLs, NBLs and Allaes. From Linn I've owned Mk 1 Kans, Katans, 212s and Artikulate 320As.

m@h
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That's an impressive amount of high quality speakers you've owned, m@h!!

Good thoughts about BMR/3K there as well.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

lejonklou wrote:That's an impressive amount of high quality speakers you've owned, m@h!!
... and that's just the Linn and Naim ones :D
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Music at Home wrote:
lejonklou wrote:That's an impressive amount of high quality speakers you've owned, m@h!!
... and that's just the Linn and Naim ones :D
ok then, I open a new thread. "speakers you owned"
I hope you contribute :mrgreen:
Love speakers myself!
It's all about musical understanding!