Phono Stage in Majik Kontrol

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Winston67

Phono Stage in Majik Kontrol

Post by Winston67 »

I've been using a Rega P3-24 with a Goldring 1042 MM cartridge through a Linn Majik Kontrol preamp. Curious if anyone has any thoughts about how good the phono stage in the Linn unit is. It all sounds fine to me, but I have an opportunity to acquire (without an audition) a Rega Fono MM phono stage for a low price and wondered whether this would be a meaningful upgrade (or an upgrade at all). Have often wondered where the built-in phono stages in Linn preamps like the Kairn and Majik Kontrol slot in in terms of relative SQ.
Last edited by Winston67 on 2020-06-02 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Phono Stage in Majik Kontrol

Post by lejonklou »

I probably shouldn't be answering this, but as I've done exactly this demo so many times (with Exotik/Majik/Akurate Kontrol as well as DSM's), I can say that Fono has not been considered a step up by anyone present during the comparisons.
You need a Gaio to better the Linn MM board.
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

Thanks - and also apologies; I see that I asked a very similar question some time ago and then proceeded to forget that I had done so.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Agreed. I have done the same test and the Rega Fono, while a good unit for the money, does not better the internal Linn MM phono stage. The Gaio, however, does.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

In my experience, the internal Linn MM board is very good and only slightly inferior to the Uphorik MM section.

The Slipsik is a lot better than both. Never heard the Gaio though.

M.