English Electric 8Switch (Audiophile Network Switch)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

English Electric 8Switch (Audiophile Network Switch)

Post by Spannko »

Here’s a video of a comparison of the new English Electric network switch compared to a Netgear FS105. I heard the same comparison at the Bristol HiFi show earlier in the year and I’d say the video is pretty representative of what I heard.

The demo starts about 15mins In.

https://youtu.be/YtIwNRDr0kY

Enjoy!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: English Electric 8Switch (Audiophile Network Switch)

Post by beck »

I would rather listen to some of your own clips than listen to this video. I do not enjoy what I hear, one switch or the other.

That said the switch could be a real improvement. I just cannot tell for sure......

Maybe I am just having a bad ear day. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2020-05-14 18:39 English Electric network switch
How much is it?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

£450, inc a Chord Co Ethernet cable.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

beck wrote: 2020-05-14 19:04 That said the switch could be a real improvement. I just cannot tell for sure......
I too heard it at the Bristol show. I know that in my own system the GS108T is more musical than the GS105. And the GS105 in the Chord demo sounded more musical than the EE switch....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

David Neel wrote: 2020-05-14 21:15
beck wrote: 2020-05-14 19:04 That said the switch could be a real improvement. I just cannot tell for sure......
I too heard it at the Bristol show. I know that in my own system the GS108T is more musical than the GS105. And the GS105 in the Chord demo sounded more musical than the EE switch....
I agree David. For me, there’s a musicality problem with the EE. I heard it at the show, but because the dem was so short, I couldn’t say exactly where the problem lay. After listening to the video several times it appears as though the EE messes with the bass, spoiling the rhythm and making the music lose its mojo. On the plus side, everything sounds a bit cleaner and more detailed, and I’m sure that if I heard one in the flesh, the blacks would be blacker too.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I didn't think much of the EE at Bristol either. Can't recall the specifics though.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Martin Colloms has given the 8Switch a good review for all the reasons that those on Lejonklou who have heard it, felt it was lacking. MC usually treads a good line between musicality and fidelity and describes them both impartially. Very confusing!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Your copy has obviously arrived before mine! Was his benchmark a Netgear switch? Or something less capable?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Here you go. Chord Co have released an early copy:

https://chord.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... eprint.pdf
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Hmm! Only compared to a Cisco...
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve only just noticed that Martin Colloms tried the 8Switch in two positions - next to the router and next to the HiFi.

He didn’t like the 8Switch with a short cable back to the router, describing the sound in a similar way to those of us who heard it at the Bristol show (which I think was also wired in a similar way).However, he gave it a Best Buy rating when using a longer cable between the router and the 8Switch (a phenomena some of us here have also noticed), describing the sound in a way that most of us here would appreciate.

So it looks like the verdict is still open on the 8Switch!

PS The review also includes the Melco S100 and a variety of Ethernet cables, including the bjc, so his thoughts will be really interesting when the magazine is released, any time now.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The magazine is out. I received my copy a few days ago but haven't had time to more than glance at it yet.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

You’re being a tease Thomas!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Yes, the magazine is out, and I've read the review. The link provided earlier does not give the full picture, because it is only part of a joint review of two switches, and the first review of the Russ Andrews RANS-1 (which was not included in the link) explains some important context. I hope it's okay to quote brief extracts from the RA review.

"my current reference switch (the best tried in this system so far): a new old stock Cisco Catalyst 2960"

"two locations on the network: first at the data entry and control point for the incoming WiFi via the Apple Airport Express (linked wirelessly to the main upstairs router), and then at the heart of the system where served data and control meet to feed, via a short selected cable, the Naim ND555 network player..."

"It (the RA switch) obviously sounded clearly better than the popular and inexpensive wall-wart powered Netgear GS108 and its ilk, which I have tried with both standard switch mode and linear power supply options, the latter proving superior."

The findings on the RA switch versus the Cisco are nuanced, but I find it interesting that he rates the Cisco well above the Netgear, although it is not clear which GS108 version is involved, nor whether the Cisco power supply is standard.

On this basis, where I am reading that EE 8switch outperforms Cisco 2960, which has previously outperformed GS108, I am going to try the 8switch in my own system, and see whether I get any more musical satisfaction than at the Bristol show.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks David. I look forward to your thoughts.

What did Martin Colloms think about the cables he listened to?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

David Neel wrote: 2020-06-18 17:44The findings on the RA switch versus the Cisco are nuanced, but I find it interesting that he rates the Cisco well above the Netgear, although it is not clear which GS108 version is involved, nor whether the Cisco power supply is standard.
The Cisco has a built-in power supply, I doubt he has changed that.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Gentlemen,
I have removed one hostile post and the author has been warned.
As a consequence, two more posts were removed and one sentence removed in a fourth post.

All posts discussing Apple Airport Express has been moved to a separate topic, in order to keep this one about the English Electric 8Switc.

Happy Summer Solstice and let our curious and respectful discussions continue!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Any conclusions on the switches would be great to know.

I've had positive results here from layering two switches (Netgear GS108 and DS108). Still to get the Harting switch I bought working but it's with Harting now so ought to be resolved.

I have three TP Link switches of varied quality to try on system B.

Music is even more essential for us during this pandemic.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

rps20200620_220442.jpg
Switch research gone overboard. The most expensive one I have isn't in the pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

I have an opportunity to buy the 8Switch but according to Linn (who I just got a reply from) there is no variation in audio quality associated with choice of switch (or length of ethernet cable). I am new to network players and so I have no experience myself. Is there anyone on the forum who wants to share their thoughts? Apologies if this has already been discussed!

P.s. I ordered a Cisco Catalyst 2960C-8TC-S and then realised that it is the Cisco Catalyst 2960C-8TC-L which has been recommended on different forums. Apparently the S stands for Standard Image whilst the L stands for LAN Base Image. Since I am new to networking I've not really been able to ascertain whether the (slightly) incorrect choice of switch will likely have an impact on audio quality (if indeed it occurs at all). If anyone on the forum with a great deal more experience than myself can enlighten me I would be deeply appreciate 👍Thanks, Paul
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

In the Digital world - everything matters.

It can be total nightmare to get right at times, but when you get there it is very enjoyable and wothwhile.

The switch is important and a safe and a good and inexpensive place to start is the Netgear GS 108.

Lots of advice on the Forum regarding choice of Cat 6 cables, NAS drive and Streamers.

In my opinion the easiest way to get started is with Streaming services such as Spotify/Tidal and Quobuz.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

There are approx 6 versions of the 108. The Lejonklou recommended switch is the Netgear GS108Tv2
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Thanks for replies! I have ordered a Netgear switch. I will also keep my Cisco switch. I figured I have to hear for myself if there really is a difference between different switches.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Has anyone managed to hear the EE 8Switch yet?