ATC SCM40

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Math

ATC SCM40

Post by Math »

Hi everyone!

Does anyone of you kind people have experience with the ATC speakers?
I have had my eyes on these speakers for a while now and just by reading about them I think I will like them and maybe they can be an upgrade to the loudspeakers I got now, passive Majik 140 with upgrade stands.
Unfortunately, I live far from any ATC dealer and it will be a long trip for me to be able to demo them, therefore I like to hear what you think of the speakers.

I make my own music on a non-professional level and I think I need speakers with a more neutral response curve than my current speakers to be able to make more precise mixing decisions. Soundwise I love the way the Majik sounds, they are really good with the dynamics, instruments are well defined with a "full" natural sound and the bass works really well in my room, my REL subwoofer extends the bass even further without overlapping the Majik's.

So... Maybe some of you have heard both the loudspeakers and can tell me if the ATC's share some of the same characteristics the Majik's have that I like, and of course the differences?

ATC is known for their active speakers, do you think it's a big step up sound-wise from the passive version to the active SCM40?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: ATC SCM40

Post by David Neel »

I can't help you very much, as I've not heard those particular ATC speakers. After that disclaimer, let me try anyway.

I've heard, several times, the more expensive SCM50s. To me, they vary significantly depending on amplification and source, which is another way of saying that source first is the way to go for any hifi system. At their best, they are very good indeed, neutral, clear, and musical. But I've also heard them when only the first of those three adjectives applies. So before you focus on speakers, what is the rest of your system, and might there be opportunity for improvement there?

You also mention needing speakers with a more neutral response curve, for making your own music. Why do you need a more neutral response curve (I don't make my own music, so have no idea, it's not saying you are wrong), are the M140s that bad, and what is more important to you, a neutral response curve, or musicality? If what you need is a neutral response curve, you are probably asking the wrong people. If musicality takes priority, you're in the right place.

You asked a while ago about Graham LS5/9 floorstanders. I have a pair of the standmounts, which are light years ahead of M140s, and the M109s I used to have, for musicality and information. Do they have a neutral response curve? I don't know, but I do know I enjoy them a lot.

Whatever you do, don't buy without listening, and use your own system or something very close as the front end. I realise this will be difficult, but it's the only way to avoid costly mistakes.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

David Neel wrote: 2020-05-02 22:32 You asked a while ago about Graham LS5/9 floorstanders. I have a pair of the standmounts, which are light years ahead of M140s, and the M109s I used to have, for musicality and information. Do they have a neutral response curve? I don't know, but I do know I enjoy them a lot.

Whatever you do, don't buy without listening, and use your own system or something very close as the front end. I realise this will be difficult, but it's the only way to avoid costly mistakes.
+1 ...

Grahams are as well Monitors ... and nothing less, but BBC ... + Musical, as a lot of Forum members confirm ,,,

Best advice ... "don't buy without listening", I would like to add to this ... Listening in YOUR ROOM and on YOUR SYSTEM ... I know it's easy to say that, behind computer, it's hard in everyday life ... but only than you will make best decision and be happy with your system

Good Luck and keep safe ...
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Math wrote: 2020-05-02 16:14 ATC is known for their active speakers, do you think it's a big step up sound-wise from the passive version to the active SCM40?
AFAIK, ThomasOK found passive ATC100s with Lejonklou power amps more musical than active ATC100s.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Math

Post by Math »

David Neel wrote: 2020-05-02 22:32 I can't help you very much, as I've not heard those particular ATC speakers. After that disclaimer, let me try anyway.

I've heard, several times, the more expensive SCM50s. To me, they vary significantly depending on amplification and source, which is another way of saying that source first is the way to go for any hifi system. At their best, they are very good indeed, neutral, clear, and musical. But I've also heard them when only the first of those three adjectives applies. So before you focus on speakers, what is the rest of your system, and might there be opportunity for improvement there?
Hi David, the rest of my system is an Akurate DSM/Katalyst - Musical Fidelity M6i (only used as a power amp bypassing the preamp with HT input) - Majik 140.
David Neel wrote:You also mention needing speakers with a more neutral response curve, for making your own music. Why do you need a more neutral response curve (I don't make my own music, so have no idea, it's not saying you are wrong), are the M140s that bad, and what is more important to you, a neutral response curve, or musicality? If what you need is a neutral response curve, you are probably asking the wrong people. If musicality takes priority, you're in the right place.
When mixing music it's essential to be able to hear everything accurate, when downmixing many channels into just two stereo channels some frequencies will start to overlap each other to make room in the mix it's essential to use an equalizer and other adjustments to fix the problems. If the speaker's response curve isn't that flat you risk making the mix just sounding good with just those speakers.

This is the measurements on Majik 140 and as you can see they are not very flat, but they do sound good listening to music.

ATC SCM40. Not perfect but definitely more neutral than Majik.

I love my Majik 140's so the only reason for looking at new speakers is just to be able to make more accurate mixing decisions. Otherwise, I'm definitely more into musicality like the rest of you, therefore I'm looking for speakers that got the same musicality, good dynamics, and natural tone of the Linn speakers but at the same time with a more accurate response curve if that's possible. I want it all. :)
David Neel wrote:You asked a while ago about Graham LS5/9 floorstanders. I have a pair of the standmounts, which are light years ahead of M140s, and the M109s I used to have, for musicality and information. Do they have a neutral response curve? I don't know, but I do know I enjoy them a lot.

Your Graham's you have are built to the BBC standard and have a very flat response curve, the only problem is that other speakers like them, like the Harbeth's don't seem to get recommended too often for rock music and that's important for me. Of course, I need to hear both the ATC's and the Graham's before I can be sure about that. :)
Math

Post by Math »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-05-03 07:18
David Neel wrote: 2020-05-02 22:32 You asked a while ago about Graham LS5/9 floorstanders. I have a pair of the standmounts, which are light years ahead of M140s, and the M109s I used to have, for musicality and information. Do they have a neutral response curve? I don't know, but I do know I enjoy them a lot.

+1 ...

Grahams are as well Monitors ... and nothing less, but BBC ... + Musical, as a lot of Forum members confirm ,,,

Best advice ... "don't buy without listening", I would like to add to this ... Listening in YOUR ROOM and on YOUR SYSTEM ... I know it's easy to say that, behind computer, it's hard in everyday life ... but only than you will make best decision and be happy with your system

Good Luck and keep safe ...
The problem for me is that ATC speakers are not very common in Sweden and the closest dealer is 1000 km from my town. I think I must talk to my local dealer about this.
Math

Post by Math »

matthias wrote: 2020-05-03 11:17
Math wrote: 2020-05-02 16:14 ATC is known for their active speakers, do you think it's a big step up sound-wise from the passive version to the active SCM40?
AFAIK, ThomasOK found passive ATC100s with Lejonklou power amps more musical than active ATC100s.

Matt
Good to hear, thank you!
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

What is the sound of a speaker?
It is the sound of its basis. (OK, exaggerated...)
Check out Cilicus.nl - this is what a speaker demands.
My SCM50A perform lightyears better with this stand. They have been
excellent before.
BR, Klaus
Starman

Post by Starman »

Hi Math,
Have a look at Adams from Germany, they may well suit what you are looking for.
This is a link to their web site and dealer lists
https://www.adam-audio.com/en/find-a-dealer/
Math

Post by Math »

Starman wrote: 2020-05-03 23:48 Hi Math,
Have a look at Adams from Germany, they may well suit what you are looking for.
This is a link to their web site and dealer lists
https://www.adam-audio.com/en/find-a-dealer/
Hi Starman and thank you for the reply.

I have heard good things about the Adam studio monitors and I had some thoughts about adding a second pair of speakers just for mixing, but I think it will be a hassle to change speakers back and forth and studio monitors will not suit my living room.
The speakers will mostly be used for listening to music (like 80% of the time), so the main idea here is to replace my current floorstanders for another pair and I want them to be an upgrade first and foremost for music listening, and still be better for mixing music then the Majik's.

So... Just by reading about the ATC SCM40, they seem to be somewhat similar to the Majik's. The Linn speakers can handle all types of music from classic to rock with good dynamics and they are able to "keep the calm" even with the most aggressive genres of music, unlike many other speakers I've heard. The ATC's are often mentioned when it comes to rock music and people also seem to think they are really good with the dynamics.

I know this is a lot of talk about sound and musicality is the most important thing, that's why I wanted to know what people on this forum thinks about the SCM40's, who also have a good knowledge of the Majik 140. Are they similar and do you think the ATC speakers can be an upgrade to the Majik's?
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

David Neel wrote: 2020-05-02 22:32
Of the speakers I've bought in the 21st Century, 2 have been one's that I've done listening tests on, the rest haven't.

The 2 that I did listening tests on have been relegated to surround sound and centre channel duties in my AV system.

3 pairs of speakers that I bought without listening are used as main speakers in the AV system, speakers in the main downstairs music system and speakers in the bedroom music system (it's a very large bedroom).

The listen first paradigm is stuck in the 20 th Century.

It all depends how ambitious you want to be for the sound quality of your system for the price paid for it.

The best bargains in audio are either DIY or used or a combination of both.
Think about it, this makes a huge amount of sense. Brand new you have profits, overheads, VAT to pay for. For the manufacturer as well as anyone else in the supply chain, such as a dealer.
Depreciation is a very real thing in hi-fi. However hi-fi, especially good quality hi-fi is very long lasting, and generally relatively easy to repair.

Some examples of speaker purchases I've made without auditioning.

A pair of rare 1960's sought after huge corner horns on US ebay. To listen to them I would have had to have flown over to New York. They were at a price I could sell them on for no loss or a small profit. I snapped them up, shipped them over and have been delighted with them.

A pair of speakers on UK ebay that had been used as the PA speakers in the main hall of a theatre. They had a blown tweeter and rotten foam surrounds on the bass units (this was described in the advert). Listening to them before buying would have been a waste of time. They were broken! After spending about £70 on parts to repair them I had a pair of speakers that I was delighted with for the less than £500 in total that I'd spent on them.

A pair of 1960's large classic American infinite baffles. On UK ebay. At some point some idiot had fitted two 8 ohm bass drivers in them instead of two 16 ohm drivers. So again listening to them would have been a waste of time. Initial listening tests were disappointing when I got them home. But converting them to actively bi-amped and they became really nice sounding speakers for the £500 I paid for them.

My next speakers will be a DIY frankenstein project where I assemble some highly rated used drivers from various manufacturers and blend them together into a pair of speakers. Again I will not be able to listen to these before buying. But I'm confident they will be good sounding speakers for the money spent on them because of the quality of the drivers. And if they don't work out I can sell the drivers for what I paid for them and burn the DIY'd cabinets in my log fire.

All in all, for people that are the most ambitious for the sound quality per price paid for their systems, buying first and then trying at home is the way to go. All you need to do is to only buy at sensible prices and then you can sell on if something doesn't work out.

As for ATC SCM 40's. I'd buy them if I could get them for under £300.
You might think that £300 is a stupidly low price rating for them. But that's what happens when you take a punt on a few used speakers without listening to them first. Your whole scale of what hi-fi is worth gets shifted downwards a lot due to the bargains you've bought.
Math

Post by Math »

lindsayt,

If I lived in a more populated part of the world with a better selection of used hifi gear I would do the same as you, buying used and sell it on if I didn't like it, without any loss. No need for a listen.
The problem for me, in a small town like mine, it's evident that hifi is something of the past and there isn't much of a used market for high-quality speakers anymore, most people use headphones or portable mono speakers for their music listening instead.
If I'm interested in something particular, it will probably not be a big chance I will find it on the used market close to me.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I used ATC SCM100ASL active speakers for a fair number of years. I felt they were quite musical at the end of an all Linn system and Linn/Lejonklou system. Out of curiosity I bought a pair of original factory passive crossovers for them and found they were easily more musical passive with Tundra Monos than active with the ATC amp/crossover pack. Even in factory active form I felt they were more musical than my Aktiv Isobariks with four LK280/SPARKS and also more musical than the Accurate 242 (I think second version).

I don't have any experience with the latest SCM40s but one of our customers bought a traded in pair of the older SCM40s and quite likes them. He used to work for a number of bands as a roadie/tech. ATC's drivers have generally impressed me and the SCM40 uses a slightly lesser version of the midrange in the 100s I had (as well as the 50s and 150s). They have newer tweeter than what I had which is supposed to be very good but I didn't get a chance to hear it. I think the 40 is likely to do what you want but there is a lot of guesswork there having not heard that exact speaker.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Math

Post by Math »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-06 22:41 I used ATC SCM100ASL active speakers for a fair number of years. I felt they were quite musical at the end of an all Linn system and Linn/Lejonklou system. Out of curiosity I bought a pair of original factory passive crossovers for them and found they were easily more musical passive with Tundra Monos than active with the ATC amp/crossover pack. Even in factory active form I felt they were more musical than my Aktiv Isobariks with four LK280/SPARKS and also more musical than the Accurate 242 (I think second version).

I don't have any experience with the latest SCM40s but one of our customers bought a traded in pair of the older SCM40s and quite likes them. He used to work for a number of bands as a roadie/tech. ATC's drivers have generally impressed me and the SCM40 uses a slightly lesser version of the midrange in the 100s I had (as well as the 50s and 150s). They have newer tweeter than what I had which is supposed to be very good but I didn't get a chance to hear it. I think the 40 is likely to do what you want but there is a lot of guesswork there having not heard that exact speaker.
Thank you ThomasOK for your reply.

Just by reading people's thoughts on these speakers, most people seem to think the midrange drivers are really good and natural sounding and the new tweeters that are now made in house are more smooth sounding than the ones found in the older model. The bass seems to be the part where most opinions split, but I guess that depends a lot on different listening rooms.
I hope I can get a demo somehow, but just reading about the SCM40 makes me think I will like them. Let's see if I can get my local hifi shop to become an ATC dealer. :)