Suggestions - Rega Planar 8 Cartridge

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

jlrchrds

Suggestions - Rega Planar 8 Cartridge

Post by jlrchrds »

Hello. I picked up a used Rega Planar 8 from a buddy... came without a cartridge. I’ve been using an old K9 but it’s tired. I’m running it through a Linn Majik DSM, a Rotel Power Amp, and Linn 212s with a 221. It’s a second system. Any thoughts on a good MM cartridge to use with an eye to buying a Gaio 2? I owned a Linn Adikt for years, which I really enjoyed. Don’t really care for Rega cartridges but they are an option. Open to thoughts and suggestions. Btw I would consider MC cartridges but don’t want to spend significant dollars on a phono amp... not even that keen on buying the Linn upgrade MC phono card to be honest. Thx Jeff
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Suggestions - Rega Planar 8 Cartridge

Post by V.A.MKD »

jlrchrds wrote: 2020-04-07 04:22 Hello. I picked up a used Rega Planar 8 from a buddy... came without a cartridge. I’ve been using an old K9 but it’s tired. I’m running it through a Linn Majik DSM, a Rotel Power Amp, and Linn 212s with a 221. It’s a second system. Any thoughts on a good MM cartridge to use with an eye to buying a Gaio 2? I owned a Linn Adikt for years, which I really enjoyed. Don’t really care for Rega cartridges but they are an option. Open to thoughts and suggestions. Btw I would consider MC cartridges but don’t want to spend significant dollars on a phono amp... not even that keen on buying the Linn upgrade MC phono card to be honest. Thx Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Here are mainly 2 options on MM ...
Linn Adikt ...
Audio-Technica ... https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 850#p45809
All the Best and keep safe ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

If you're planning to buy a Gaio 2, the logical choice would be the Adikt
TMV

Post by TMV »

You ca start by replacing the needle with an AT95 needle. Then you have money over for a slipsik. (But maybe adikt+gaio is better?)
jlrchrds

Post by jlrchrds »

Hey Folks. Okay this reinforces my original thoughts. Linn it is then. Maybe I'll replace the stylus on the K9 but I'll probably just opt for an Adikt and make a trip to Ann Arbor when things open up to hear a GAIO. I have had many incarnations of my LP12, which is now a Klimax Unit except I'm still using the Urika 1. I had an Adikt on an Ekos SE/Keel at one point for a couple of years using a Uphorik; it was super fun and really boogied! Unfortunately, I sold everything off that was upgraded. Never needed a second system, but now I do. Thanks VAMKD, I'll read through the AT95 discussion. Heck maybe I'll even consider talking with Thomas about a Karousel post lockdown and tuning my deck. I usually do it myself, I have a jig, but he is far far more skilled than I. Thanks again. Jeff
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

Hi there,

I have a Rega RP10 and right now I am running it with a LInn K9 body wearing an Audio Technica VM95 conical stylus. So what?

Well, I prefer it to an Ortofon 2M Black, 540II, AT-OC9II, DL-103 and several other cartridges I've tried! Yeah, ridiculous I know.
jlrchrds

Post by jlrchrds »

Nope not ridiculous at all. I’m floored how great the AT-VM95E sounds on the rega p8! Find what works and do it!!!!!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

jlrchrds wrote: 2020-05-06 03:38 Nope not ridiculous at all. I’m floored how great the AT-VM95E sounds on the rega p8! Find what works and do it!!!!!
+1 ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Mr Pig wrote: 2020-05-05 22:03 Hi there,

I have a Rega RP10 and right now I am running it with a LInn K9 body wearing an Audio Technica VM95 conical stylus. So what?

Well, I prefer it to an Ortofon 2M Black, 540II, AT-OC9II, DL-103 and several other cartridges I've tried! Yeah, ridiculous I know.

Welcome ...
NOT ridiculous ... If it is better, it is better ... and especial, if you use Tune Method in evaluation, as we use here than it's better ...
All the best and keep safe ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-05-06 07:27NOT ridiculous ... If it is better, it is better ... and especial, if you use Tune Method in evaluation, as we use here...
I think the ability to 'carry a tune', or convey pitch strongly, is very important but I don't focus solely on that.

Am I forgetting about the Hi-Fi and just enjoying the music? That is good. Thinking about how tight the bass is or how wide the image is, bad.

How many parts of my body are involuntarily moving to the music? The more the better.

Do I get to the end of the song thinking, that song/band/singer is brilliant and wanting to hear it again?

Music is primarily about emotion. If it conveys that then the stereo is working.