Karousel

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Karousel

Post by Hermann »

That's the point beck. From it may be derived that linns musical heart beats probably rather for another target group. I can't imagine that they gave their recommendation "by thumb".
Trust your ears
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

hello, Federico, I have recently installed the karousel, unfortunately the installer did it by hand without a torque wrench, now I have a key which pair do you recommend? thanks
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

in another question I did about 150 hours of running in, actually how many do you need to reach the maximum?
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

the key has a margin of error plus or minus 6% is it valid, or should I buy in another one?
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

This is the torque screwdriver used by forum users: https://www.srtorque.com/error-proofing ... al-series/

Is that the one you're using?
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

The specs state 0.2 Nm graduations. So, for example, is 5+3 equal to 5.6Nm? Is it possible to set 5 + 3.5 to achieve 0.1Nm spacing? Or perhaps even better?
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

No, it's more empirical than that. The +3 is three steps on the bottom adjuster which is different than 3x0.2nm on the scale.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Spannko wrote: 2020-12-03 21:25 The specs state 0.2 Nm graduations. So, for example, is 5+3 equal to 5.6Nm? Is it possible to set 5 + 3.5 to achieve 0.1Nm spacing? Or perhaps even better?
That specification refers to the markings on the scale. The markings are spaced 0.2Nm apart. There are 9 notches around the perimeter of the adjuster that the key can slot into. From what I can tell there are about 13 notches between each graduation which means each notch is approximately 0.015Nm.

Yes it is possible to split the notches. They are spaced such that if you adjust the key so that it sits between two notches, and then flip the key to the opposite side, it will fall into a notch. That's approximately 0.008Nm!

At these finite numbers it is too difficult to repeat the same value, especially across tools. That's why Thomas and Fredrik use the closest graduation plus or minus a fixed number of notches (apologies...I don't know who came up with the idea first). Those values are absolute and easily repeatable.

I suppose it might be possible to split a half notch but it would be imprecise, difficult to repeat, and there's no way to lock the tool in that position so it could be easily moved. Personally I have yet to find the need to go past 1/2 notch.
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

Grazie per il consiglio, è questo che serve per regolare il karousel?dove lo trovo e quanto costa?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I bought mine second hand on eBay for about £20. I'm not sure where others found theirs
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

Ho trovato questo usato su eBay va bene?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

Ma ci si può inserire L adattatore esagonale per avvitare il karousel da 20 mm? Dove lo trovo?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

markiteight wrote: 2020-12-03 21:54
Spannko wrote: 2020-12-03 21:25 The specs state 0.2 Nm graduations. So, for example, is 5+3 equal to 5.6Nm? Is it possible to set 5 + 3.5 to achieve 0.1Nm spacing? Or perhaps even better?
That specification refers to the markings on the scale. The markings are spaced 0.2Nm apart. There are 9 notches around the perimeter of the adjuster that the key can slot into. From what I can tell there are about 13 notches between each graduation which means each notch is approximately 0.015Nm.

Yes it is possible to split the notches. They are spaced such that if you adjust the key so that it sits between two notches, and then flip the key to the opposite side, it will fall into a notch. That's approximately 0.008Nm!

At these finite numbers it is too difficult to repeat the same value, especially across tools. That's why Thomas and Fredrik use the closest graduation plus or minus a fixed number of notches (apologies...I don't know who came up with the idea first). Those values are absolute and easily repeatable.

I suppose it might be possible to split a half notch but it would be imprecise, difficult to repeat, and there's no way to lock the tool in that position so it could be easily moved. Personally I have yet to find the need to go past 1/2 notch.
This is a very good explanation. I don't know of anyone who has found the need to be more precise than 1/2 notch and on most things 1 notch will do just fine. When I first started doing this we (Fredrik, Paolo and I) were reporting back and forth and would sometimes use a number like .9 for a Kandid. I realized early on that trying to use odd numbers could leave it up to interpretation where .9 or 2.7 actually was so I recommended we standardize on going to the nearest .2 mark and counting notches up or down to make it more precise. That is the system we have been using, in my case for about 16 years now, and which I recommend for others who ask me for help on using the system.

Karousel, welcome to the forum. The images you have are the correct tool. They do show up in the US for under $50 on regular basis on eBay. While the 6% is a unit to unit variation they are usually more precise than this and the precision on the driver itself is very good. I would say that around 150 to 200 hours is what it takes for the Karousel bearing to bed in pretty much fully. Here is an example of the adapter you need to work with the 20mm socket (and 21mm for the bottom cap):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professi ... 246&sr=8-3

Good luck.

By the way, I'm glad to hear that many of you are finding the increased level of musicality I found through the 2.6Nm+5 setting. It really does seem to nail the music.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Karousel wrote: 2020-12-03 22:32 Ma ci si può inserire L adattatore esagonale per avvitare il karousel da 20 mm? Dove lo trovo?
Hi Karousel, welcome to the forum! Can you please stick to English in your forum posts? That is the established standard language here.

Thank you!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

markiteight wrote: 2020-12-03 21:54

Great explanation! Thank you.
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

I can't understand how the adapter fits into the screwdriver
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

thomas show me the photo of the karousel bolt coupling thanks
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

the side with the 1/4 hex bit fits into the screwdriver the other side is 3/8 square or an 1/4 square as the 20mm nut which you need for the top and the 21mm nut which you need for a bottom are only available as square connection - the direct fit nut with a 1/4 hex connection goes only up to 17mm
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

I'm afraid I spend the money in vain is this Thomas thanks
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

69007A7C-691B-473E-953C-95698553E55B.png
69007A7C-691B-473E-953C-95698553E55B.png
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

hi defender, i would like to see a photo of the coupling if possible thanks
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

there is 35 caliber written on the screwdriver, okay? thanks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hello Karousel,

You've got the wrong tool. What you want is a CAL 36/4, nothing else. I would also recommend you get a new one, as the used ones are sometimes in good shape and other times not. I have 10 used tools of which 2 have broken and are unusable. I have one new (and a second on order), which is surprisingly precise and in better condition than any of the used tools.

I would also never buy a used tool with the plastic piece that yellow. It needs to be clear.
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

hi, I bought these 2 items for the karousel, now I still need an adapter to adjust the 20mm karousel bolt? thanks let me know
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Yes, you need a 20mm 3/8" socket to complete the installation of the Karousel.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D