Karousel

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Mikkel-DK

Re: Karousel

Post by Mikkel-DK »

I’ve just talked to one of the two dealers here in Denmark and he told me that installation wasn’t included in the price of the Karousel(7250kr=975€) as he didn’t work for free.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

so your dealer has the opinion he is working for free when he gets 975Euro for a bearing. The Cirkus bearing was 550Euro and even that included fitting it to your turntable.
Mikkel-DK

Post by Mikkel-DK »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-28 12:23 so your dealer has the opinion he is working for free when he gets 975Euro for a bearing. The Cirkus bearing was 550Euro and even that included fitting it to your turntable.
Denmark is a terrible place to live if you need a car and like the sound of Linn.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Mikkel-DK wrote: 2020-04-28 15:42 Denmark is a terrible place to live if you need a car and like the sound of Linn.
Haha, I thought so when I worked on a project in Copenhagen. But at least I could drive there by car from my home, taking the ferry link from Fehmarn. (Actually, cars are cheaper in Denmark than in Germany, but the tax is higher. That's why some drive re-imported Volkswagens over here.)
My next project was in Oslo, and when I bought a beer in the Hotel after work, it felt like buying the whole bar. And I hate to say: I never managed to walk to the Rainbow Studio to pay my tribute to the late Jan Erik Kongshaug, or at least visit the Fram. What a shame ...
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Just a couple of followups. I did try the reset after it was mentioned on here (but before the clips) and found very little difference. This is not too surprising as I have only had this Radikal for a few months so it likely hasn't had time to fill up that memory. The button on the back gives you a mute option if you have a Urika. It also makes the LP12 more of a pain in the butt to use so almost everybody leaves it in the Lingo position.

In the US prices can't be fixed, strictly speaking. But with higher end consumer goods there is an effort to keep the pricing as the manufacturer lists it, since the kind of pricing normal with regular goods, like TVs, don't allow enough margin for dealers to stay in business unless they move tonnage of product. Hence the decline of neighborhood TV shops and computer shops. This is true of upscale merchandise such as watches, fashion items, cars, boats, etc. The situation with Linn products is unusual as dealers are supposed to include installation in the price but Linn doesn't include any extra margin in the price to cover it. Because of this it is unlikely any Linn dealer would give a significant discount even if not installing it. On the other hand Linn view it as getting the customer back in the store with the hoped for result that they will find some other Linn product that interests them. So some dealers charge for installation and others include it. This is likely the case worldwide, not just in the US.

I just installed two Karousel units for one of my customers. He is thrilled with the performance and told me that the noise floor was lowered quite a bit allowing more information through and that it was extremely musical. He also had some time to listen to my system and informed me that I was spoiled! I am indeed. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Thomas,
Have you tried to fine-tune the torque of the Karousel now that you have had it for a while? 4-5 Nm?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-19 12:55 I need to compare out of my memory and with a 16bit copy I have as I dont have the LP but I remember there are really heavy bass lines in those songs which I dont hear as much in your system.
Hi Hermann
I bought the LP (thank you for giving me a wake up with your recording as I didnt know it was available on LP).
The LP is more mild with the bass lines - probably to not overload the LP and the capabilities of the turntable.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2020-04-29 13:16 Thomas,
Have you tried to fine-tune the torque of the Karousel now that you have had it for a while? 4-5 Nm?
I have not revisited the torque as I am quite happy with the .4Nm -2 notches setting. Also I do not have a driver that goes much beyond .4Nm as the additional driver I bought to go up to and beyond 5Nm turned out to be junk so I sent in for a return. I am still looking for a torque driver that goes a bit higher but is accurate, repeatable and allows fine adjustments. The world's best torque wrench looked interesting but lacks a "Linn Tight" setting.
The LP12 Whisperer
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

It seems the long time Linn dealers live the promise: „Der Karousel Upgrade-Kit besteht aus dem neuen Lager, einen neuen Innenteller und einem kompletten Satz Subchassis-Federn. Der Einbau, Justage und Ölwechsel sind inclusive.“
reads: Labour, adjustment and oil change included.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2020-04-30 21:46 It seems the long time Linn dealers live the promise: „Der Karousel Upgrade-Kit besteht aus dem neuen Lager, einen neuen Innenteller und einem kompletten Satz Subchassis-Federn. Der Einbau, Justage und Ölwechsel sind inclusive.“
reads: Labour, adjustment and oil change included.
Please, can you provide a link to this statement.
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Karousel kommt als kompletter Upgrade-Kit inclusive neuem Innenteller und Zubehör und kann in jeden Sondek LP 12 eingebaut werden.

Neue Sondek LP12 haben ab 23.März 2020 Karousel serienmäßig.

Sobald lieferbar haben wir das Karousel-Upgrade im Direktvergleich in der Vorführung im Klangstudio.

Der Preis für das Upgrade-Kit: 893.-€ inclusive Einbau.
Karousel comes as a complete upgrade kit including new inner plate and accessories and can be installed in any Sondek LP 12.

New Sondek LP12 will have Karousel as standard from March 23rd, 2020.

As soon as available we will have the Karousel upgrade in direct comparison in the sound studio demonstration.

The price for the upgrade kit: 893.-€ including installation.

https://www.linnhaus.de/olymp-der-platt ... llerlager/
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you Hermann - yes that is the source.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

You're welcome.

Regarding the Malia I only know vinyl or the download as mp3, which was allowed. The CD is unfortunately unknown to me. would be interesting to hear how the bass is actually mixed differently there.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Karousel In The House!

Post by Tony Tune-age »

It's been a very long day, which included a few unexpected challenges and surprises. However the good news is, Thomas installed the new Karousel LP12 bearing system and upgraded my Entity as well. Although it has only been a few hours of listening, my opinion of the new bearing system is very positive and similar to others that have already expressed their thoughts.

Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Happy to welcome again someone in the community of the Karousel owners. Especially if Tom did the upgrade, the correct installation is guaranteed. Hope you'll give some musical impressions...

The plinth, is that Movingui?
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2020-05-05 06:49 Happy to welcome again someone in the community of the Karousel owners. Especially if Tom did the upgrade, the correct installation is guaranteed. Hope you'll give some musical impressions...

The plinth, is that Movingui?
Thank you for the comments Hermann. As always, Dr. Thomas is krazy detailed and meticulous about all things Sondek! And my plinth is Movingui, made by Chris Harban.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
bryamacada

Post by bryamacada »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-04-16 20:09 There is also a torque for the bottom cap and that is much lower. I found that I had to go above 2.0Nm to loosen it and 2.4Nm was where it loosened up on my driver. Testing some torques near that I found that 2.4Nm +2 notches was most musical. I would be careful with this cap and only just barely loosen it so the oil doesn't leak. It has an O-ring seal so you probably have to turn it a fair amount to get a leak, but I just barely loosened it to be safe. That is all you have to do in order to tighten it to the best torque.
Hello, waiting for my UK Linn dealer to re-open for a demo of Karousel. By the way, just wondered what direction the thread of the lower cap is, is it an anti-clockwise thread, that means against the direction of rotation of the spindle ? Or a normal clockwise thread ? thanks a lot
Linn / Naim enthusiast
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If I am recalling correctly it is anti-clockwise, but I'll check for sure next time I do one. I may not be the best person to ask as I wore an Apple Think Different watch for around 15 years and it goes backwards!

I promised before that I would repeat the same four clips after the table had run a while. Now it has been a few weeks and I left the LP12 running overnight several times so it should easily be over a month of normal playing time on the bearing. These can be compared to the first two sets of four clips I posted in mid-April which are still up. See what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie3e0nal00i7s ... M.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkvo94xn2acpi ... M.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l506mjjiqeodk ... M.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wwehi6252yfp ... M.mov?dl=0

And here is a little bonus that it very similar to the last track but also different. No equipment or setup change.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bbrs7yni6flb ... M.mov?dl=0

I will note that there is some Bella accompaniment on both the last two clips. Enjoy.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

It's a bit late here now so only compared the Sinatra track which is the one I most struggled with last time.

This seems much better on the Karousel now and I prefer it to the Cirkus. Just easier to follow. Look forward the playing the others tomorrow and even more so to hearing it for real.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great work Thomas!

Giving us the possibillity to compare the sound from the new bearing and how it changes when running in.
I clearly prefer the run in Karousel to the new. It is easier for me now to take everything in at the same time and get the sense of the music without feeling that different sounds are trying to catch my attention at the expense of others.

Enjoy! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The differences are even bigger this time around and I hands down prefer the Karousel. My own new LP12 with Karousel is running in nicely, too. It definitely needs a week or even more before giving the best results.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Thank you Thomas, your mission is ... priceless work of Art ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Wow! The Karousel has come on leaps and bounds. It seems like a total win-win for LP12 owners now. Much better music & much better sound. Nice one Linn, you’ve pulled the rabbit out of the hat 🎩🐰😁
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

I am going to get the Karousel fitted when Cymbiosis is back in action.I once bought a Garrard 401 to which the previous owner had spent a lot of money obtaining & fitting a Red Beard bearing...the difference to a Garrard 401 with a normal bearing was astounding...
It is the one piece of hifi I have regretted selling the most (and I have bought & sold a lot over the years!) as I have never been able to find a Garrard 401 that had the engagement with the music that the Redbeard Bearing Garrard had...
It was then I realised then the importance the bearing has on a turntable & it will be for that reason I will get the Karousel fitted (as stated as soon as Cymbiosis reopens!).....
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's
Emil

Post by Emil »

Interestingly the recordings are showing differences, which can be spotted live. One of the bearings is showing better timbre and tonal accuracy. Also better flow.