Karousel

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Karousel

Post by ThomasOK »

The promo definitely is not limited to LP12 upgrades. I tried to clarify this today with our Linn rep. and was informed that the only Linn product excluded is the new Series 3 wireless speaker. All other Linn products qualify for the free Karousel. In the US the amount is $4000 of additional products gets you a free Karousel. It was indicated to me that parts were included in that so a plinth, outer platter, etc. should be appllicable (although I hope for confirmation of that part in the additional documentation Linn is supposed to release on March 23rd).
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
cortina

Post by cortina »

Hi,
Clear that it is not limited to LP12 only. But you are saying that it is not limited to upgrades only so it is also possible to buy eg an amplifier, speaker or cables?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

From the Hidden Systems homepage:
"As an introductory offer Linn are offering a new Karousel bearing free when you spend £3000 or more buying any Linn items. The offer is valid for orders placed from 23rd March to 22nd May and will be delivered before 29th May."
So I would say it's valid for amps and speakers, too (except the 3-Series as Tom stated).
Update: I just ordered a new LP12 in walnut with the Karousel bearing :-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

cortina wrote: 2020-03-12 08:53 Hi,
Clear that it is not limited to LP12 only. But you are saying that it is not limited to upgrades only so it is also possible to buy eg an amplifier, speaker or cables?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying as it is what Linn has said to me. Amplifiers, DS, DSM, speakers, cables, Exaktboxes, etc. are all included. The only exclusion I was told about was the Series 3 speakers. This was in answer to a direct request for clarification on that issue. Linn is planning to publish more in depth dealer information on the Karousel and the promotions, including a video talking about the design of the Karousel, on or just before the 23rd.
The LP12 Whisperer
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-12 17:35Linn is planning to publish more in depth dealer information on the Karousel and the promotions, including a video talking about the design of the Karousel, on or just before the 23rd.
Very interesting Thomas, I'm looking forward to watching and hearing the "Karousel Design" video.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
cortina

Post by cortina »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-12 17:35 Yes, that is exactly what I am saying as it is what Linn has said to me. Amplifiers, DS, DSM, speakers, cables, Exaktboxes, etc. are all included. The only exclusion I was told about was the Series 3 speakers.
Thanks! Krystal clear now!
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Regarding the video; should’ve interesting.

On a similar theme, there is a very informative video on YouTube with David Williamson (Linn Senior Design Engineer)and Ian Ridge of Billy Vee dealership explaining the development of Kandid.

Worth watching for those interested.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Ianw wrote: 2020-03-12 22:25 Regarding the video; should be interesting.

On a similar theme, there is a very informative video on YouTube with David Williamson (Linn Senior Design Engineer)and Ian Ridge of Billy Vee dealership explaining the development of Kandid.

Worth watching for those interested.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-03-12 12:51 Update: I just ordered a new LP12 in walnut with the Karousel bearing :-)
Sounds beautiful. But I don't get the (financial) logic behind this. Isn't it wasting the free upgrade?
I'm asking because my black plinth looks pretty worn. A cat-astrophic sequence of events (think dominoes) lead to a cut in its site, when it was hit by a lamp falling over. I had to replace the Trampolin, luckily the Ekos was not hurt.
For the pet lovers: The cat was not hurt either. ;-)
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-03-12 18:05
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-12 17:35Linn is planning to publish more in depth dealer information on the Karousel and the promotions, including a video talking about the design of the Karousel, on or just before the 23rd.
Very interesting Thomas, I'm looking forward to watching and hearing the "Karousel Design" video.

Cheers
+1 ... they are always interesting ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

there are more and more Ekos SE/1 comming up on the used market and sellers are mainly dealers which sell it as used from demo LP12s so I expect there is a reason behind it ... maybe a new arm comming?

but it can be also more easy to sell the demo LP12 just with an Akito 3b ... lets see ...
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Catweazle wrote: 2020-03-15 12:06
Tendaberry wrote: 2020-03-12 12:51 Update: I just ordered a new LP12 in walnut with the Karousel bearing :-)
Sounds beautiful. But I don't get the (financial) logic behind this. Isn't it wasting the free upgrade?
I'm asking because my black plinth looks pretty worn. A cat-astrophic sequence of events (think dominoes) lead to a cut in its site, when it was hit by a lamp falling over. I had to replace the Trampolin, luckily the Ekos was not hurt.
For the pet lovers: The cat was not hurt either. ;-)
Good that no cat was hurt :-) Fortunately mine stays away from the LP12.
In a way it might be seen as wasting a free upgrade, but that's assuming you have the necessary € 3.570,- to spend.
In this case it only cost me 300,- more to swap the LP12 than buying the Karousel and that's as much as I was prepared to spend, now with Corona spreading even faster and causing havoc in the world economy.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Defender wrote: 2020-03-15 14:17there are more and more Ekos SE/1 comming up on the used market and sellers are mainly dealers which sell it as used from demo LP12s so I expect there is a reason behind it ... maybe a new arm comming?
I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-15 12:53
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-03-12 18:05
+1 ... they are always interesting ...
Very true...
Tony Tune-age
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-03-16 01:35 Good that no cat was hurt :-) Fortunately mine stays away from the LP12.
In a way it might be seen as wasting a free upgrade, but that's assuming you have the necessary € 3.570,- to spend.
In this case it only cost me 300,- more to swap the LP12 than buying the Karousel and that's as much as I was prepared to spend, now with Corona spreading even faster and causing havoc in the world economy.
Thanks @Tendaberry that makes sense in a way.
I have been reluctant with my upgrades lately, though. Now it may be the right time to support my trusted dealer (not the local dealer, that is.), and reap in the free upgrade. Time to replace my Lingo 2 by a Radikal, finally? I can't recall when exactly I bought my LP 12 but it was early 90ies, and it was pre-owned. So the bearing, and the motor both collected a fair mileage. Here we are back at the upgrade dilemma.
Radikal Klimax
Radikal Akurate + Urika Ii
Radikal Akurate + Keel
Keeping David's long time love for the Adikt in mind, I'll try to audition Adikt vs Krystal into my Uphorik, before I commit to either option. Reducing TCO is not the worst idea, but then I already stepped down from Akiva to Krystal.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

I’d go for the AK Radikal with a Keel. Super combination. The Klimax Radikal is better than the AK R, but the aforementioned combination is superb for a bit more dosh.

Of course, if you have patience and want to do it stages, then the KR is a great place to start.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Have anyone been able to listen to the Karousel? Thomas?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I was hoping to hear it on Thursday but the UK is pretty much shut down now. Only essential shops allowed to open for customers - i.e. food / medicine. I guess HiFi stores can keep their online activites going, provided the courier companies will support them.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

With so many people advised to stay home across the world - a good opportunity to do all the fine tuning of speakers, trying out various power leads cables one may have lying around, different torques if you have the knowledge etc etc .

That way when Karousel is finally fitted, your LP12, it will sound even better.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I just talked to my dealer and he had just received a brand new Akurate LP12 with Karousel. He was absolutely astounded by how good it was. He had never thought the difference would be so big, it was almost like a Klimax LP12 :-) Everything sounded so natural and there was much more feeling in voices. Can't wait! Alas, there's no news yet as to when my new LP12 arrives.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi Tendaberry
I can feel with you - but as we say „Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude“
Meaning/translation „waiting for something nice to happen is the most wonderful joy“

good news about the Karousel - can't wait now either ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2020-03-24 10:55 Have anyone been able to listen to the Karousel? Thomas?
Unfortunately I haven't, nor do I know when I will. Linn did start shipping them early and the store received shipping confirmation for our first two for demo LP12s Friday. Additional units were supposed to follow in several batches about a week apart. No confirmation on expected ship date on my personal units.

However, this is probably as good a place as any to mention that Michigan went on lockdown this morning at 12:01AM for at least three weeks. Only people providing essential services are allowed to go to work. Apparently quality music in the home isn't considered essential! I'm sure most on here will consider it essential if they are stuck at home. Couriers are considered essential and are still working which is good for me as a batch of Boazu are on the way from Frederik and two of those are already sold. So I will be able to get them in and out.

What will happen with the Karousels I'm not sure but hopefully our owner will have packages rerouted to his home until we are back up and running. We were in the middle of moving the store Friday and Saturday as the last bits of construction were being completed (carpeting in the sound studios, moving over the service cabinets and counters and finishing the front counter). If they had held off a few more days we might have been able to get it completed, but now we are a bit more than half way through. Hopefully, the owner is having shipments forwarded to his house.

So I don't know how soon I will be able to report. I do have installation instructions and it appears that the CAL36/4 will work for all LP12s with aluminum sub-chassis (Majik, Kore and Keel) as the recommended torque is 4Nm. That is where the driver tops out but it can go a little bit above that mark so I can hopefully find the exact optimum torque. For steel sub-chassis the torque is 5Nm so I will need a new driver for that. I am ordering in an Italian precision torque wrench normally sold through quality bike shops that looks like it should work well. It covers from 1Nm to 8Nm and is continuously adjustable allowing for fine increments of torque. It is also relatively compact so it won't take up too much space in the toolkit.

So between the moving and the other stuff here I haven't been able to keep as up to date on the forum as usual. Now it looks like I will have time to keep up (not that I have any shortage of things to get done for Nokturne Audio or at the house). If I can get Linn to swing a Karousel or two my way I'll certainly install one and let you know what I think. Everybody stay well.
The LP12 Whisperer
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Ah Thomas,
That’s good info on the torque for Keel will run with my Sturtevant driver.

Do you know if it’s a dealer only fit? I’m supposing it is.

Regards
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-24 18:08 Only people providing essential services are allowed to go to work. Apparently quality music in the home isn't considered essential! I'm sure most on here will consider it essential if they are stuck at home.
Oh yes!

I was lucky enough to sell my Ekos SE and Urika, and collect cash for both just before this all hit. Because I then ordered the free Karousel, Linn aren't shipping the Ekos SE/1 until the Karousel is available. Because I didn't place my order until the money was in the bank, I'm not in the first batch of Karousels to be shipped. Because Linn are coping with coronavirus, the shipping date will probably slip...

So I noticed a couple of shoeboxes in my cupboards, and remembered that they had cassettes (remember those?) in them. Then I remembered I had a Nakamichi BX-1 stored somewhere. So I'm self-isolating with off-air recordings from BBC Proms and other concerts from the late 80, 90s and early 2000s. Including the Amsterdam Mahler Festival :)

As hifi it leaves a lot to be desired, but as music... :)
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Ianw wrote: 2020-03-24 20:10 Ah Thomas,
That’s good info on the torque for Keel will run with my Sturtevant driver.

Do you know if it’s a dealer only fit? I’m supposing it is.

Regards
My other new purchase is a Sturtevant driver. Thanks to you both - I look forward to becoming self-sufficient as an LP12 owner, in preparation for a future relocation...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty