Upgrade inertia

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

neonmeatedream

Upgrade inertia

Post by neonmeatedream »

I'm currently looking to upgrade my system but finances are limited and i won't be able to make all the changes i would like to at one time. My system is very modest in comparison to some of our esteemed members and i know there is room for improvement.

I have a pair of Sara 9s with Hiquphon tweeters, Kisto and a 5125 (non-Dynamik), the source is a bit Heath Robinson in that i have a Sony SACD player with an external HD filled with FLACs, this is then connected via digital out to the Kisto and I use a monitor to browse the tracks. I also have 2 x REL Strata II subs as the Sara's are not against a wall and do not provide a lot of bass on their own.

My set up is currently in a concrete garage/man cave and my listening position is quite close to the speakers and suffers from a bass room mode, in that the bass is pretty tight and light from my position. If i stand to the rear of the garage the bass blooms wonderfully and sounds superb.

My instinct is to upgrade to DS, which would also hopefully allow me to fix the room mode with SO. The jump to DS seems fraught with additional confusion/cost given the chat i've read recently surrounding noisy NAS drives and what not. Streaming from Tidal isn't the ultimate solution for me as a lot of my music is fairly left-field and unlikely to be available on streaming platforms.

I love the clarity that the Kisto brings to the music and would have to be totally convinced to ditch this in favour of DVC so going down the route of a Klimax Renew was my first option as i would still retain the Kisto. However, Katalyst seems to be such a big improvement that maybe investing a fair amount of cash in the Renew isn't the best idea and perhaps saving up for a Katalyst model would be a better idea. Another option would be to go in on the first floor and get a Sneaky.

Then i'm thinking about sticking with my source until second hand price points hit my budget and upgrading the amp in the meantime. The Tundra sounds like an ideal candidate, but I was unsure how it would drive the Saras and maybe a Klout would be a better idea. Then i posited that maybe new speakers would be a good idea with Akurate 242s at the top of the list.

The options are many and maybe that is the issue perhaps i should just stick with what I have and just enjoy the music, but as we all know that's easier said that done. Any hints, tips and insight would be greatly appreciated!
Ianw

Re: Upgrade inertia

Post by Ianw »

Everything I’ve heard about the Saras is positive although, admittedly, I haven’t heard them myself.

I run 242 on the back end of a pair of single Solos passive, they need the poser IMHO If you stick with Linn amps I’d say a Klimax twin as a minimum. Others say they also work well with Fredrick’s amps.

I’d go source first and get the best DS/DSM that you can. Katalyst is amazing and the DVC on them is streets ahead of previous versions.

You could then use Space for your Sara’s and hopefully don’t need the subs although be prepared to work on Space settings to get optimum results.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

SPACE is not capable of dealing with a room mode null, which is where bass is light in your room. It only deals with room mode peaks and reduces them accordingly.

So the first move might just be to re-arrange your gear and listening position in the room, remembering that Saras do like to be close to a wall. Experiment with this before spending any money.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Why don’t you move your seat to where it sounds good?
neonmeatedream

Post by neonmeatedream »

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately space is the biggest issue i face, the hifi is effectively in the only position it can be, so rearranging the set up isn't an option. If i move back to where the bass sounds full, then i lose the stereo image plus then there would be boxes of 'garage stuff' between me and the speakers.

Given that most of the bass is generated by the Strata's, i assume that SO would have no effect on those, as it would only affect the Sara's?