What to match with a Majik DSM3

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Eyesound

What to match with a Majik DSM3

Post by Eyesound »

Pondering on getting Majik DSM 3 and wanted to get opinions on what would be the most musical combination with a Lejonklou

1. Majik dsm3 + baozu

2. Majik dsm3 + tundra 2.5

If you had a opportunity would you rather get a Akurate dsm3 with majik 2100?
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: What to match with a Majik DSM3

Post by anthony »

Eyesound wrote: 2020-02-24 01:45 Pondering on getting Majik DSM 3 and wanted to get opinions on what would be the most musical combination with a Lejonklou

1. Majik dsm3 + baozu

2. Majik dsm3 + tundra 2.5

If you had a opportunity would you rather get a Akurate dsm3 with majik 2100?
Definitely Adsm3 then add a tundra later, i have heard this many times and sounds fantastic.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Which speakers do you have or are considering?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I started at the Magik stage and then moved to Akurate.

Personally if you are planning to continue the upgrade path too, I would keep saving until you get to the ADS / ADSM stage.
Even if that means living with a cheap less than ideal amplifier.

My experience, since the Katalyst upgrade, is that the ADS is much nearer the KDS level.

So ultimately you could aim to add a Lejonklou Tundra. I went this route and it sounds good.

Personally - and I know folk on this forum will disagree - since Katalyst I do not think a preamplifier is necessary and the best use of funds. Perhaps better to get some really good speakers / stands.

At least if you go for an ADS or ADSM you can add the preamplifier much later on - but do listen to one in your system first. You may agree with me and do what I did - buy a top class camera with the money.

Donut beautiful downtown York
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Thank you all for the responses. I’m starting a system from scratch at this point.

I currently have a pair Majik 140 speakers that I can use after fixing its 2k array in one.

I can just get a current Majik DSM and add a tundra or baozu

Or get a current Akurate DSM (found a decent deal on a demo) and compromise with a lower end amp like the majik 2100.

Prices for these options will be quite similar.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The ex-demo Akurate DSM (especially if it has Katalyst) with a 2100 will be better than any combination with a Majik DS/DSM front-end
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

The Akurate DSM demo does have a Katalyst.
Has the most current specs
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Eyesound wrote: 2020-02-25 17:08 The Akurate DSM demo does have a Katalyst.
Has the most current specs
Go for it......
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Have you thought about a used Tundra Stereo instead of a Majik 2100? Latest spec is 2.5, but even a v1.x Tundra will walk all over a 2100, and reveal more of what the ADSM is doing.
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Yes I gave that a thought. There is that used one being sold But I’d need to have it convert the voltage to be able to use in the US and don’t know how much that would add to costs.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I don't think it's much but, if you're in the US, give Tom a call at Overture Audio, Ann Arbor for all things Lejonklou, and much more :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Will you be connecting any sources other than the streaming functions in the DSM? If not, I suggest that you look for an ADS Katalyst and not an ADSM. It should sound better, and cost less.

Do you envisage on-going upgrades when money permits, or will this be a one-off expenditure? If it is definitely a one-off, consider Boazu rather than Tundra. I agree with Donuk and Anthony that the latest Katalyst DVC is very good, but I still prefer to disable it and use a Lejonklou pre-amp.

Actually, I prefer to use Hakai to my ADS/3, anyway! So, if you only want streaming rather than additional sources, you could build a Hakai, add a Boazu, and keep the change...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

I would like to maintain flexibility for a possible future upgrade but I’m not planning for it at the moment. I want to build something that I’d be able to fully enjoy and not think of a constant need to upgrade.
jtx

Post by jtx »

Hello Eyesound,

I have a Majik DSM/3 and a Tundra 2.5 with Majik 140 and I don’t feel at all the need to upgrade.

For years, I used to have a full Linn active system which has never totally convinced me.
It had a beautiful clear and crisp sound but a little lifeless to me and a real pain to get
properly set up.

3 years ago the Majik DSM replaced my Akurate DS/1 and Akurate Kontrol 0/D combo for box count matters and because the Akurate pre began to show signs of fatigue.
I was a little afraid first because it was a kind of a downgrade in the Linn line, but the Majik DSM/3 is totally on par, even better on some aspects, with the old Akurate pre / ds combo. It has the little bit of fun and pace that was lacking before. And the phono stage is as good too (it is also to my ears as good as the Gaio 2 phonostage).
Still, i was still wanting/needing some change and sold my two Majik 4100/D amps with their active filters and their forests of cables.

Before that, I had the opportunity to trade at my dealer’s shop the whole system with a Selekt DSM with amp (non Katalyst) but i had to add 2000 euros in the balance over and above the fact that the Majik DSM was almost brand new and already had a general manufacturer discount of 1000 euros a few weeks after i bought it. It would have been a silly move.

So, I listened to amps including Akurate amps which left me cold and bought a fabulous second hand Tundra 2.5 on this forum. It matches perfectly with the Majik DSM and with the Majik 140.
It has a full, balanced and warmish sound and it has the balls when it has to be punchy ... but not too much. I am very very happy with it. I even don’t feel the need to use Space anymore.
This is by far the best system I have ever had.

If you can afford the Akurate DSM, got for it, it will obviously outperform the Majik DSM but
on the other side, i think that the Majik DSM is already a fantastic music machine and an unbeatable value for the money. For me Tundra, Majik DSM and Majik 140 is an ideal combination.
The best for you would be to have a listen before making up your mind.

Jtx
Last edited by jtx on 2020-02-29 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
Majik DSM/3, Rega Planar 3/exact, Lehmann phono Black Cube SE II, Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Majik 140
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Hi jtx,

Thank you for your insight. The value for the Majik DSM3 at the current moment is hard to beat. I’m encouraged by your comment. The Akurate DSM3 with the Katalyst demo will cost 2x plus as much as a new Majik and will need to get a amp for it too. A big part of me just wants to get it over and get the best system I can afford but the price difference is big and if sound wise it’s doesn’t make up to it then it’s better to get the Majik for now.
jtx

Post by jtx »

It is for sure a tough decision. But again, try to listen at a dealer's or a Linn owner's near you if you can.

Let us know ;-)
Majik DSM/3, Rega Planar 3/exact, Lehmann phono Black Cube SE II, Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Majik 140
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Whichever system you end up with - try and feed the steamer with the best source you can.

With the excitement of a new streamer and amp - this bit is easy to overlook.

I have only just realised how much better Tidal Hi Fi streaming is compared to my old NAS drive which I was very ‘happy’ with for 8 years ( and better than other NAS drives I had listened to)

And now I realise that Spotify in my system is significantly more musical at half the price!

So enjoy your system and if you want the best from it spend some time with installation of components / cables and most of all, the digital feed to your streamer.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Eyesound

Post by Eyesound »

Ended up winning a Majik DSM3 in great condition on eBay. Price was too good to pass. Now if I can get a lejonklou tundra would round things up.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Akurate power amp with Dynamik PSU or Tundra 2.2 and earlier will all drive 140s no problem. However, Tundra 2.5 was the first time I felt that the slightly wayward 140 bass was fully kept in control - this is the speaker's weakest area IMO. That's was with an LP12 so 'perhaps' less of an issue with a digital source.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Depending on what spec the Tundra stereo you buy is, you can always upgrade it. My s/n 71 version has just been upgraded by Fredrik and will be delivered back to me tomorrow. My guess is that even an MDS3 with the tundra will drive virtually any Linn speaker. My system will be KDSM/Tundra/passive 350s. But you could substitute the speakers with Keildghs/242s/Dremcatchers and still have a brilliant system.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Welcome back flatcoat!
jtx

Post by jtx »

Eyesound wrote: 2020-03-22 15:14 Ended up winning a Majik DSM3 in great condition on eBay. Price was too good to pass. Now if I can get a lejonklou tundra would round things up.
congratulations !
;-)