Vintage Linn Majik Integrated Amp

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Winston67

Vintage Linn Majik Integrated Amp

Post by Winston67 »

I am thinking of equipping a spare room with a small audio system to make use of my old Linn Tukan speakers (or possibly Majik 109s) and a spare turntable. I dug out of storage a Linn Majik integrated amp from circa 1999 (in the old LK box style) that I have not used in many years, and wondered if anyone had a view on how it might compare to modern integrated amp counterparts such as the Rega Brio. Has technology passed the old Majik by, or is it still the punch-above-its-weight contender it was considered to be 20 years ago?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Vintage Linn Majik Integrated Amp

Post by Charlie1 »

It's still a good amp. A bit analytical for my taste but still good. I think it will match better with Tukans than M109s. I've tried both with a Majik-i and the 109s just don't sound right to me. In fact, 109s don't sound right with any vintage gear to my ears. Katans or Kans would also be OK with the Majik.

EDIT: I did compare my LK Majik-i to a borrowed Brio-R (from about 10-years ago). I found the Brio a bit grey and boring, although pleasant enough sounding. It just seemed to lack life and vitality. Enjoyed the Majik more.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2020-02-04 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

I agree with Charlie1. Considering the price range of used Majiks, it might be the value leader in budget price integrateds. The Naim Nait is the only cheap-ish integrated I can think of that might challenge the Majik's musical performance.

I started my Linn adventures with a Majik-i, replacing a Rega Mira3 and the Linn was much better. Around the time the -i version came out I compared it to similarly priced Rotel separates and found the Linn superior. I don't have any experience with Rega's latest but I would be surprised if they're more musical than a Majik. As far as speakers are concerned, I again agree with Charlie1. 109s driven by a Majik turns the Source First hierarchy backwards. You'll be better off running the Tukans you already have and putting the money that would have been used to purchase 109s toward improving the source.

Or, as we say in the grassroots motorsports world, "run what 'ya brung" and be secure in the knowledge that you have a decently musical system that could out tune many multi-kilobuck "audiophile" systems for next to nothing.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I love 109s, but - I agree with Charlie1! I don't know the Majik-i well (I had Wakonda/LK140) but suggest you keep it and the Tukans, and focus on the source. Good luck!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

In Tune, Majik for sure will compete today integrated amps, just made your system as you mentioned, brake-in it and enjoy.
Winston67 wrote: 2020-02-03 21:36 I am thinking of equipping a spare room with a small audio system to make use of my old Linn Tukan speakers (or possibly Majik 109s) and a spare turntable. I dug out of storage a Linn Majik integrated amp from circa 1999 (in the old LK box style) that I have not used in many years, and wondered if anyone had a view on how it might compare to modern integrated amp counterparts such as the Rega Brio. Has technology passed the old Majik by, or is it still the punch-above-its-weight contender it was considered to be 20 years ago?
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Yes, it will match better with speakers from the same time, they ware tuned ...
Charlie1 wrote: 2020-02-03 22:14 It's still a good amp. A bit analytical for my taste but still good. I think it will match better with Tukans than M109s. I've tried both with a Majik-i and the 109s just don't sound right to me. In fact, 109s don't sound right with any vintage gear to my ears. Katans or Kans would also be OK with the Majik.

EDIT: I did compare my LK Majik-i to a borrowed Brio-R (from about 10-years ago). I found the Brio a bit grey and boring, although pleasant enough sounding. It just seemed to lack life and vitality. Enjoyed the Majik more.
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

I agree with you, Naim Nait 1 & 2 (in good condition) and Majik (LK) are possible good competition to today's integrated amps in Musical performance ...
markiteight wrote: 2020-02-03 22:52 I agree with Charlie1. Considering the price range of used Majiks, it might be the value leader in budget price integrateds. The Naim Nait is the only cheap-ish integrated I can think of that might challenge the Majik's musical performance.

I started my Linn adventures with a Majik-i, replacing a Rega Mira3 and the Linn was much better. Around the time the -i version came out I compared it to similarly priced Rotel separates and found the Linn superior. I don't have any experience with Rega's latest but I would be surprised if they're more musical than a Majik. As far as speakers are concerned, I again agree with Charlie1. 109s driven by a Majik turns the Source First hierarchy backwards. You'll be better off running the Tukans you already have and putting the money that would have been used to purchase 109s toward improving the source.

Or, as we say in the grassroots motorsports world, "run what 'ya brung" and be secure in the knowledge that you have a decently musical system that could out tune many multi-kilobuck "audiophile" systems for next to nothing.
Music First ...
Vlado
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

Thanks for all of the interesting responses. It turns out that I also have an old Linn Afekt subwoofer. Any idea how best to connect this to the old Majik? Presumably I would connect the Majik to the line inputs of the sub, but it's not clear to me what to use as the out from the Majik - tape outs, perhaps?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Sorry, I can't help, for me sub-woofer is not a option in any way ...
Winston67 wrote: 2020-02-04 19:51 Thanks for all of the interesting responses. It turns out that I also have an old Linn Afekt subwoofer. Any idea how best to connect this to the old Majik? Presumably I would connect the Majik to the line inputs of the sub, but it's not clear to me what to use as the out from the Majik - tape outs, perhaps?
Music First ...
Vlado
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Winston67 wrote: 2020-02-04 19:51 Thanks for all of the interesting responses. It turns out that I also have an old Linn Afekt subwoofer. Any idea how best to connect this to the old Majik? Presumably I would connect the Majik to the line inputs of the sub, but it's not clear to me what to use as the out from the Majik - tape outs, perhaps?
Does the Afekt have speaker level inputs? That would be the way to go. Or just forget the sub altogether as it will likely make things worse.
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

I don't believe it has speaker level inputs.

I have used a subwoofer before with Linn bookshelf speakers and found that, if used judiciously, it can help to flesh out lower frequencies without doing any harm. Would the tape outs be the right place on the Majik to hook up the subwoofer?

Thanks.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tape outputs would not work as they are a fixed output so the volume won't go up and down. You would need a preamp output. I believe the original Majik-1 had pre out/main in jumpers. Those could be replaced with a Y cable with two male RCAs and a female RCA. The male RCAs would go to the pre out and main in connection for each channel and the female RCA would connect to the cable going to the subwoofer.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
imarcel

Post by imarcel »

i´m new here but have had systems with subs for some time.
...the afekt also has line in and out:
so you could try going from the pre out of the majik to the line in of the afekt and then from line out afekt to the power in of the majik (taking away the jumpers). furthermore the afekt has extra filtered line output. these are designed if you use small (limited bass response) spreakers. the signal is cut below a certain frequency you can choose. so the low frequencies do not reach the amp and the speakers.
that leaves you with three posibilities to choose.
which one will be the most tuneful in your setup, i don´t know.
when i had a sub system with kans and akurate 221 the best was going from pre directy to power amp and the sub, but then my pre had two outputs (i´m not a big fan of Y - cables).
greetings marcel