Melco S100 Network Switch

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Melco S100 Network Switch

Post by donuk »

Well, I have borrowed a Melco S100 Network Switch. I have had it in my system for a few days.

It works.

Don't ask my why or how, but it does. I am not an expert on network traffic. But I borrowed the unit out of curiosity quite expecting it not to work.

I also took it yesterday to a chum who has a Naim 500 system throughout. And it worked there too.

Now, friends of mine on this forum will know that I do not consciously use the tunedem method to evaluate components.
So my comments will carry a limited weight, but I will try to explain what has improved. I use a "close my eyes and try to imagine I am at a concert" method. (Which is the way I auditioned my Tundra).

Several things are noticeably better:
The shape of individual notes - how they start and finish.
The position and depth of instruments in the stereo image is more defined.
An improved sweetness on some recordings - almost as if a distortion was removed.

Interestingly my chum said he could immediately hear a difference, but said he would not be getting one because it modified the trademark Naim sound which he admires and made his system sound more like my own (Linn ADS Kat and Tundra 2.0).

Go figure! All a matter of taste.

An expensive upgrade? Look at it this way - it improved my system to be similar to a Linn KDS which I once borrowed.
Not asking for confirmation of my ears or ability to be fooled. For me it is proof that what goes on in the digital domain can really affect sound.

Don't read the adverts. Don't post reasons why it cannot work. Just try it and listen. Don't if you cannot afford one........

Donuk beautiful downtown York
Melco borrowed from The Sound Organisation, York.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Melco S100 Network Switch

Post by Tendaberry »

Would be interesting to hear, but as it costs € 1.999,- in Germany, I think I'll put that money towards an Ekos SE or an Entity instead...
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks Don. Have you tried a Netgear 108T or the Cisco (does your mate use 2 Cisco’s with his Naim?)?
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Spannko - I have a Netgear SG108E and a GS205 - used both for comparison purposes...
Also tried using both my QNAP NAS and Melco N1/A with these in various configurations.

Sadly no substitute for the real thing in my system.

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Ah, yes. I’d forgotten that you’ve got a Melco N1A too.

Did you try listening to a streaming service though just the S100 (rather than S100 > N1A > DS) to compare their ‘Ethernet purifying’ qualities?

Also, I’ve read (on the Naim forum) that putting a switch between the N1A and the DS can be better than using the Melco’s dedicated streamer output? I haven’t tried this yet, have you?
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

spannko - I have been using the N1/A simply as a NAS and not passing the signal through it.
This was simply to be able to evaluate the S100 and know what I was actually hearing. But the effect of the S100 is much greater than the "Melco N1/A" effect.

The S100 sadly has to go back to Sound Organisation tomorrow. It will be the end of a holiday romance. Better therefore convince myself it is no good. Hmmmmm. Anyone want to buy a kidney or a child (although she's now 37)?
Will have to save up.

I will certainly try your suggestions when the S100 has gone, and let you know.

Thanks for suggestions.

Donuk
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Great. Thank you.
Munro

Post by Munro »

Hi Donuk,

Hamish (Munro) here from the SoundOrg. Firstly, thanks for borrowing the S100. I'm delighted, although not surprised you found that 'It works'.
When Alan Ainslie from Melco loaned us a very early model a couple of months ago we too were dubious as to what difference it would actually make. I was shocked. I would describe the improvement over our trusty Netgear GS100 switch as dramatic. I am well aware that the quality of switches within Ethernet based HiFi systems can make a musical difference, and we had experimented with several other models but I had yet to hear anything that bettered the Netgear - and others were generally worse. But this improvement was in a quite different league.
I took it home to try on my system (Melco N1Z, Linn KDSM/Solo Power Amps, Kef Blade2 Spks) and it only confirmed what we had heard in the shop.
Clearer, more 'tuneful', better timing all together more engaging - by a margin.

In all fairness this is not surprising as the S100 is not just a switch - its a mini computer - complete with dedicated software developed by a team from Buffalo/Melco, hence the not inconsiderable price of £2k. I won't pretend to understand what it does only to gather that it effectively filters any extraneous digital information and allows only music through to the streamer. More can be read on Melco's website for anyone interested in reading about the S100 at:

https://www.melco-audio-masters.com/upl ... eet_v3.pdf

But, I agree with you Donuk, when you say that adding the S100 felt similar to the upgrade from an Akurate DSM to Klimax - and whilst I have not done that actual comparison for myself and cannot comment on your view, buying a KDSM rather than a ADSM would currently mean a financial outlay difference of £8.3K - so in that context £2K does not look quite so steep!
Returning the S100 to the shop and re-introducing the Netgear unfortunately felt a very obvious let down. I have since purchased a S100 for my system at home. Whilst not cheap - but slightly cheaper for me a Melco retailer, I have no regrets. My home music has never sounded so good or been so consistently enjoyable, from Qobuz streaming to playing existing files from my N1Z Hard Drive.

Again, anyone interested in listening to a S100 should contact their local Melco dealer.
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

I recently had the opportunity to hear the Melco S100 at the dealer. It was running a Naim NDX2/Supernait3/Audio Physik LS (2200 Euro) combo. A piece by the Jacques Loussier Trio was playing.

At the beginning, a normal Netgear switch was running. Everything ok, nothing special.

Then a Chord EE switch. With this, as usual, the sound was changed. For me, no increase in musicality.

Next came the S100 and something amazing happened. I reacted extremely emotionally and physically to the music. I could only hold back my tears with great difficulty. My body vibrated, the finest vibrations, extremely pleasant. I don't experience that too often. It happens most at a live concert. Rhythm and timing also improved, the music made much more "sense" to me. But I didn't pay much attention to that, I was extremely drawn into the music, as I said.
Then a SBooster auxiliary power supply was connected instead of the Melco power supply. It changed the sound. My emotional and physical reactions were gone. Back again and they were back.
Then changed to S100 with ADOT Audiophile Grade Optical Fibre and MC Accessory (I think). The sound was changed. Not interesting for me. No emotional or physical reactions. No increase in musicality for me. Back to S100 alone, I reacted extremely again.

These experiences describe my subjective impressions! I did not do a strict tunedem.

I hope to be able to listen to the S100 in my chain soon. If these impressions are repeated, the S100 will be a sensational upgrade for me.
Last edited by Eli7 on 2021-06-13 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
MDSM3 / Netgear GS 108T-200 / BJC Cat 6a / K200 (Lejonklou Cut K400) /
M140
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

It does seem that Melco has dramatically improved digital networks with this switch- I would love to try one.

I am convinced that along with things like the upcoming Kalla with its own transfer protocols we are finally beginning to realise the potential in digital music.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

I think digital is very exciting, it's going to be an exciting time. Källa, Melco, I'm looking forward to it. But I have to say that I already love listening to music on Spotify. Actually, it's already wonderful. Of course, the mind is never satisfied for long, that's the nature of things. It can't help it. So (for me) it's also about "disciplining" the mind, with all its desires and rejections. Or in other words: simply ignoring the mind (the thoughts) while listening to music is a good way.
M140
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

New box? New toy? New upgrade.... The ADOT kit can typically be used to isolate your delicate digitals from the outside world. I use this kit between my main router (internet) and the digital input on my Melco S100 switch (which also is connect to my Melco N1/A and my Linn ADS Kat streamer.)

I tried this with an open mind - and it does bring about a marked sonic improvement. Continues on the Melco path of - to my ears - bringing more clarity and musicality.

Nicely presented - with a real old fashioned linear transformer to further cut down digitial garbage. But don't check this out if you are not prepared to purchase — it may also cause compensatory purchasing like jewellery or divorce lawyer. But seriously, well done Melco for continuing the quest for the perfect digital environment. Comes complete with straightforward instructions. Available from Melco dealers.

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

so how much is the ADOT kit and the Melco S100?
Peter@57m

Post by Peter@57m »

Very active member

Post by Spannko »

With a plug top SMPS £349
With a plug top LPS £399
With a Plixar LPS £750

Additional converter for receiving components without a fibre optic input £179
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-14 19:57 Hmm, I wonder 🧐

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32990181739.html
At that cost it's probably worth a try. Of course, you'll have to add a better power supply and the cables.
Now if there were only a similar offer for the switch as well...
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Or you could try an Uptone EtherRegen for a third the price of the Melco Switch. Has anyone compared them?

I know it’s irrelevant to how they sound, but Melco’s blurb is very hand waving and unconvincing to me, while John Sevenson’s Uptone paper is far more technical and convincing.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-06-15 15:39 Or you could try an Uptone EtherRegen for a third the price of the Melco Switch. Has anyone compared them?

I know it’s irrelevant to how they sound, but Melco’s blurb is very hand waving and unconvincing to me, while John Sevenson’s Uptone paper is far more technical and convincing.
You believe what you read on the internet?
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-15 19:54
macrotech2 wrote: 2021-06-15 15:39 Or you could try an Uptone EtherRegen for a third the price of the Melco Switch. Has anyone compared them?

You believe what you read on the internet?
I don’t understand your comment. I read what’s there and make a critical assessment of it based on my knowledge. What point are you trying to make?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

“John Sevenson’s Uptone paper is far more technical and convincing”

You’re agreeing with a manufacturer because their sales blurb agrees with your “knowledge”. How do you know that what you think you know is true? What if what you think you know isn’t true?
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Have you actually read the paper Spannko? It goes into great detail on how digital signals are handled, which I found very interesting and a possible explanation for the effects. I’m still unsure why you’re commenting on my opinion, which I’m perfectly entitled to have.

Back to my original question, has anyone compared the Melco switch with an EtherRegen, as it’s the listening that counts obviously.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Both the Melco and the EtherRegen have 100Mbps and Gigabit ports.
So did someone compare the different ports with the Tune Method?

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

Last edited by Eli7 on 2021-07-10 06:08, edited 3 times in total.
M140