We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Links on the back of speakers

Post by donuk »

Hello Fellow Freddie Followers..

I know this topic is discussed on various forums, with varying conclusions, but I would like to give it an outing here (again?).

I have some Totem Model One Signature speakers, mounted on Linn Kann stands. I rather like them in my small listening room.

I use 2.5 m of Linn split K400 cable, which I have found over the years to be the best for most systems.
I have tried my speakers biwired and biamped, which I do not prefer, and which I think are issues previously discussed. Although "bi" may improve slam and fizz, it is in my experience at the cost of the music and image integration.

But I have been surprised how much the way speakers are linked on the back affects the sound.

Two issues

A - taking a simple speaker like mine with four terminals and two crossover networks internally - where do you place the speaker plugs? - across the treble posts, across the main driver posts or diagonally. There are arguments for all of these options - respectively -
Feed the treble part of the signal directly to its network - it is the weaker and most susceptible to audible distortion.
Feed the middle (and bass) part of the signal directly to its network - there is more power in this region to be lost.
Feed the signal diagonally so that signal paths are the same length.

B - what do you use to connect the treble and middle networks together (normally vertical connections across the speaker terminals)?
I have tried a number of solutions. Firstly heavy links - large pieces of brass for example - are not good. Passing a signal through substantial pieces of metal anywhere in my experience is not good.
I have tried simply stripping lengths of spare K400 cable and using this.
I have tried various types of stranded and solid wire. All seem to sound a bit different. I am surprised by this.

The most neutral sounding solution so far is to .....
Go to a model shop (one that sells toy trains, not women).
Go to their construction section near the plastic kits of aeroplanes.
You will find a box with plastic and brass tubing sticking out.
Select what is in effect a length of brass pipe, about 2.5 mm in diameter (narrow enough to be clamped in your speaker terminals).
Go home and hacksaw four lengths and try these.
It would be nice to get these gold plated, but I don't want to do home electrolysis and dissolve a wedding ring...

What have other folk found out? I am sure some of our regulars will have a view.

Donuk beautiful downtown York.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Links on the back of speakers

Post by beck »

I cannot help you Donuk but only comment on the fact that a took a while for the links on my Espeks to “burn in” and sound right.
Have you given the different solutions enough time to settle before evaluating?
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Links on the back of speakers

Post by Defender »

the treble should see the length most close to the 2.48m than go further to middle and bass

best is to not interrupt the cable

that usually makes an awkward shape of the wiring as the treble network is usually most upwards on the loudspeaker

... at least thats how Fredrik was soldering my cables