once in a lifetime: design of a listening room

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

MikeF

once in a lifetime: design of a listening room

Post by MikeF »

Dear forum members,
I have a unique opportunity in getting a dedicated room for music and I want to make the most out of this once in a lifetime opportunity. Actually it will be a conservatory from quality PVC and Glass elements (hope my dream does not end here) with a brick wall behind the listener. The room is to be built, so still many things can be decided.

I know it is kind of opposite of source first, but still I imagine the influence of the room acoustics can be big.
The constraints are: about 4 m long x 3.5 m wide, with the 3.5 m being the brick wall, height from 2.4 m at the brick wall sloping down a bit to the front.

Is there advice on the design/layout?

Suitable damping, wood furniture could be added in the end, now it is how about it should be built.

I would guess eliminating parallel walls could help reduce room modes, so now I am tempted to go for L/R symmetrical heptagon (I have attached a schematic). Being music only, the listening sofa can go more into the room, but I want to look out the front side.

But basically I have to admit I do not know if this is reasonable and which other or better criteria to apply, neither for the room layout nor for the setup of the speakers. I noted that in the present proposal the speakers would be quite close to the side walls, so is this still ok? The room being not big, probably monitors or small floor standers should be preferred? I am also considering a speaker upgrade at some point.

My priority is not necessarily studio neutrality, but enjoyment of the music, in line with tendencies on this forum.
Right now I am using KRDS1 with Boazu and Ninkas speakers (plus stereo Afekt subwoofers) and I am quite pleased (in fact every now and then overwhelmed) after I fixed a connection problem which hampered things undetected for a year or so. And this is with a room and speaker placement/listening position that is horrible. Hmh maybe this makes all my plans about planning carefully the room look a bit stupid?

I also have to say the results now in winter are completely different and much better than during Spanish summer (no air condition, high room temperatures). Hihi, at least the default is right, in summer who wants to be at home when he can be out). So yes after the room is built and in use, I guess I will come back at some point for more black boxes with trim option.
Happy holidays
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: once in a lifetime: design of a listening room

Post by lejonklou »

Hi MikeF!

Where are the doors and windows of the room?

What material are the other three walls made of?

Which is the ceiling height where it slopes down? And is that just near the wall or is it a linear slope from one side of the room to the other?