Musical NAS Drives

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Musical NAS Drives

Post by Defender »

thats interesting - I remember Charles Hansen from Ayre found really clear words for one of the more known reviewers at Stereophile when this guy was promoting MQA.
It was a heated discussion in an open forum and some forum members wondered if Charles wanted to really risk the relation with newspapers. Sometimes it needs people who say „The Emperor has no new cloths“
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

u252agz wrote: 2020-01-04 23:13 ...
A Netgear FS108 switch also killed the music and had to be immediately exchanged to the GS 108T.
That’s interesting, but possibly also indicative of the randomness of digital. I actually prefer the FS108 I have over a GS108T that I tried instead. The earth connection on the FS108 is connected to the mains earth though. Maybe that is the reason I found it better or maybe something else? Imstead I use the GS108T inbetween the router and the FS108 though. It acts as a filter between the router and the hfif-part of the network where only a QNAP NAS and the DS resides. This set-up have been working well for a long time and it sounds excellent. I did not even bother to go down the rabbit hole of building my own NAS.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It looks like I need to get my FS108 in from the garage tomorrow!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Defender wrote: 2020-01-10 21:29 thats interesting - I remember Charles Hansen from Ayre found really clear words for one of the more known reviewers at Stereophile when this guy was promoting MQA.
It was a heated discussion in an open forum and some forum members wondered if Charles wanted to really risk the relation with newspapers. Sometimes it needs people who say „The Emperor has no new cloths“
I missed your post at the time. Charlie Hansen told me almost the same thing when I met him in NYC. He told me to ensure comparative listening between HiRes and red book flac files were based upon the same HiRes master. I took his advice and downsampled all HiRes files I had to red book. I couldn't hear any difference. Charlie told me that some unscrupulous HiFi dealers let someone hear the HiRes vs a red book CD or flac from a different master. He was a very determined character and very straightforward. He left us too early.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

The last time I met “uncle Chaz” he didn’t want to talk about HiFi. He just rubbed the top of my head and, with a glint in his eye, asked how my mum was.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I never met him unfortunately but he always impressed me with his knowledge and his way to discuss things in forums openly.