Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

General HiFi discussion, using the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Post Reply
pidge22
Active member
Active member
Posts: 239
Joined: 2008-10-24 19:35

Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by pidge22 » 2019-09-25 19:55

Hi I am considering a pair of hi-end phono interconnects to go between my Tron Ultimate Phonostage (currently I have Linn Silvers).
These will then go into my Klimax DSM/2 however they will go into the XLR to phono adaptors that came with the KDSM/2.
Can anyone tell me if the XLR/Phono adaptors would negate the improvements that a pair of hi-end interconnects would give

thanks

pidge22

Ianw
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 58
Joined: 2019-02-22 11:09

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by Ianw » 2019-09-26 10:26

I’m interested in this query.

anthony
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 665
Joined: 2007-02-04 22:39
Location: UK

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by anthony » 2019-09-26 12:03

pidge22 wrote:
2019-09-25 19:55
Hi I am considering a pair of hi-end phono interconnects to go between my Tron Ultimate Phonostage (currently I have Linn Silvers).
These will then go into my Klimax DSM/2 however they will go into the XLR to phono adaptors that came with the KDSM/2.
Can anyone tell me if the XLR/Phono adaptors would negate the improvements that a pair of hi-end interconnects would give

thanks

pidge22
The adaptor will have the same detrimental affect on any interconnect, so differences will still be discernable. Personally I think the Linn silver takes a lot of beating. You could try a Linn bespoke silver silver Phono to XLR.

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 2659
Joined: 2007-02-02 18:41
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by ThomasOK » 2019-09-26 17:49

anthony wrote:
2019-09-26 12:03
pidge22 wrote:
2019-09-25 19:55
Hi I am considering a pair of hi-end phono interconnects to go between my Tron Ultimate Phonostage (currently I have Linn Silvers).
These will then go into my Klimax DSM/2 however they will go into the XLR to phono adaptors that came with the KDSM/2.
Can anyone tell me if the XLR/Phono adaptors would negate the improvements that a pair of hi-end interconnects would give

thanks

pidge22
The adaptor will have the same detrimental affect on any interconnect, so differences will still be discernable. Personally I think the Linn silver takes a lot of beating. You could try a Linn bespoke silver silver Phono to XLR.
+1
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.

Ianw
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 58
Joined: 2019-02-22 11:09

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by Ianw » 2019-09-27 14:29

I’m a bit undecided on this. Regarding connection from U1 to KDSM/2 KAT.

Currently I’m running RCA Silvers. RCA Urika 1 outputs into Linn RCA/balanced adaptors (supplied with KDSM) into balanced inputs on KDSM.

The adaptors are good quality but I have it in the back of my mind that this additional connection cannot be a good thing with the very important LP12 signal.

I’ve thought about just getting a pair of Linn silver balanced connections but then again this brings in debate about the relative merits of RCA and balanced connections.

I’m a Mechanical Engineer; not electrical so I’m ignorant on this matter.

Are the adaptors a compromise that can be bettered by a balanced cable?

Ian

anthony
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 665
Joined: 2007-02-04 22:39
Location: UK

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by anthony » 2019-09-27 17:13

Ianw wrote:
2019-09-27 14:29
I’m a bit undecided on this. Regarding connection from U1 to KDSM/2 KAT.

Currently I’m running RCA Silvers. RCA Urika 1 outputs into Linn RCA/balanced adaptors (supplied with KDSM) into balanced inputs on KDSM.

The adaptors are good quality but I have it in the back of my mind that this additional connection cannot be a good thing with the very important LP12 signal.

I’ve thought about just getting a pair of Linn silver balanced connections but then again this brings in debate about the relative merits of RCA and balanced connections.

I’m a Mechanical Engineer; not electrical so I’m ignorant on this matter.

Are the adaptors a compromise that can be bettered by a balanced cable?

Ian
The output is not the low level cartridge voltage normally asscoiated with turntable, so it's not different from other outputs as in CD or ds. I prefer rca, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I wish Linn put rca inputs. Why not try balanced if it does concern you, but not sure it would be worth the effort. Linn seem to favour the XLR connection.

Ianw
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 58
Joined: 2019-02-22 11:09

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by Ianw » 2019-09-27 17:29

Thanks for reply; I’m aware its the line level output from the Urika I’m discussing as opposed to very low m/c input.

Might just leave as is.

Ian

pidge22
Active member
Active member
Posts: 239
Joined: 2008-10-24 19:35

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by pidge22 » 2019-09-27 20:21

Thankyou for all the very usefull feedback...I think before I spend megabucks on phono cables I may take a look at Phono to XLR silvers ...
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,CTC Garrard 301,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's

Defender
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 255
Joined: 2018-02-14 22:35

Re: Hi-end phono interconnects/KDSM/2 advice

Post by Defender » 2019-09-27 20:33

as long as the output is rca and not balanced no RCA to XLR adapter is going to make the signal any better

so if you have an RCA input just use RCA
if you only have an XLR input you dont have a choice as to use RCA => XLR adapter

Post Reply