The proof is in the listening

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

The proof is in the listening

Post by beck »

How I hate this term sometimes and still we can in the end only listen and adjust accordingly to get music out of our systems.

Why?

Because the systems we use to listen to music are flawed in their construction. No system is perfect.

We are “bending” the sound from our systems towards the sound of the music we love and know from real life.

Take the anti skate discussion: Soundsmith may have a good point for what they claim to be the best way to set up the anti skate force. It might be the best way to get the finest details out of the groove.
But taking things too far can reveal problems with the way a turntable reads the groove. Maybe we will get further away from the feeling of music because of the flaws in the design being laid bare for the listener to hear.

That is why we always have to use our own ears in the end even if it is harder to do than to follow a specific guideline.

That is why the “playground” is useful. The end result is all that matters. Does it sound like music or more like a construction of sound.

We are always listening for the compromise that gets us the closest to real music.
Playing cd’s…………
BruceP

Re: The proof is in the listening

Post by BruceP »

Hi,

It’s true at some point you have to stop listening to your system and start listening to music. That’s the point, after all.

The problem – and in some cases, the interest – is that you have to build your system in order to get to the music. And sometimes one objective can get in the way of the other.

In my case, the tune method and tune dem just scored a massive victory. My system was sounding a bit sluggish, in the sense that I had this lovely transparent midrange and highs, but the bass was sluggish and had that one-note quality. My natural inclination was I must need to change one part of my system. But which part?

I am running a Roon server to Exotik preamp, microrendu streamer and active Keilidhs driven by a non-dynamiked Chakra 4100. I was looking at adding another amp channel to go tri-aktiv, taking the C4100 dynamik, adding a subwoofer (even though I don’t have space for it in my listening room), changing To different speakers, switching my streamer to a DS to fix it with SO... each option with its own set of advantages and disadvantages and the cost attached. It goes round and round, upgraditis can become a permanent condition!

After browsing many of the posts on this forum I had also had it on my list to use the tune method to, well, tune the placement of the Keilidhs in my living room. Yesterday was the day and I started moving things around according to the tune method. Sometime later there was a eureka moment wherein my speakers disappeared, a seamless, wide and deep soundstage emerged, The one note bass was gone, Ella Fitzgerald voice was floating and dancing around the room as she sang. Eureka!

A word of thanks are in order: as often said here and elsewhere, don’t forget the room is also part of your system. A bit of time and method can go a long way to delaying that next upgrade — at least for a little while.
Spotify - KRDS - Sagatun 1.3 - Silvers - Tundra 2.2 - K400 - Ninkas
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great story BruceP. :-)

It is very satisfying to get the best out of ones system.

What we learn here is fundamental........
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Beck I know which procedure you mean with respect to Soundsmith. I asked this question about opinions here and got a strait and fast answer from Thomas that this is nonsense.

Yes its sometimes difficult especially when you cant stop your focus being on just some parts of the music presentation - soundstage, details, bass, mids and highs etc. I find myself lots of times in those traps where I am drawn to the wrong directions. This makes it difficult as sometimes I also help friends and I dont want them to be led to the wrong path. However I realize that many expensive systems sound „death“ ... but have a wide soundstage and lots of details.
You end up playing very non complex music on it. Leonhard Cohen might be one example sounding very well probably on most systems.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

BruceP wrote: 2020-05-25 22:10
After browsing many of the posts on this forum I had also had it on my list to use the tune method to, well, tune the placement of the Keilidhs in my living room. Yesterday was the day and I started moving things around according to the tune method. Sometime later there was a eureka moment wherein my speakers disappeared, a seamless, wide and deep soundstage emerged, The one note bass was gone, Ella Fitzgerald voice was floating and dancing around the room as she sang. Eureka!

A word of thanks are in order: as often said here and elsewhere, don’t forget the room is also part of your system. A bit of time and method can go a long way to delaying that next upgrade — at least for a little while.
Hi BruceP,

Try this Method, as well, it's works, it's gives excellent results ...

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... ion#p39464
Music First ...
Vlado
BruceP

Post by BruceP »

Thanks V.A.MKD, yes, this is the Method that I used... meticulous and methodical, it leads to success through the only reliable measurement instrument there is: our ears!

Happy listening,
BruceP
Spotify - KRDS - Sagatun 1.3 - Silvers - Tundra 2.2 - K400 - Ninkas