Linn HDMI Boards

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Diogenes

Linn HDMI Boards

Post by Diogenes »

A naive question for the Linn experts here.

Anyone know if the Linn DSM HDMI boards are interchangeable across models? IOW, can an Akurate DSM HDMI board be switched to a Majik DSM or vice versa?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn HDMI Boards

Post by sunbeamgls »

I will answer this question based on a question I put to Linn about the surround processor board as I suspect the same answer would apply, in principle at least.

My question was this - can I buy a DSM with the later HDMI board and swap it into another DSM, thereby enabling the older DSM to support the new surround board?

Answer - no, because the serial numbers of the boards are interlinked and there are certain expectations in the firmware updates that need the corresponding serial numbers to be within a range of expected combinations. Therefore updates may fail. Additionally, warranty support would not be offered.

I think, electrically, it would work. But the point about firmware is a valid one, if that's really how it works. The cynical may say that they just want me to upgrade the HDMI board with a new one rather than a used one :)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Thanks Sunbeamgls.

Were you trying to fit an HDMI 2 board with surround card into a Majik DSM?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I was hoping to move an HDMI 2 board from an MDSM to an AEDSM to then add a surround board
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Got it, thanks,