Next Upgrade

Post by Steve Robinson »

Hello,

My current system consists of the following;

Majik DSM
2 x LK140
Aktiv Katans
Linked up with K200 and Silver interconnects

I am pretty pleased with the system as it is, but I am looking to upgrade the speakers and amplifiers for two reasons mainly firstly, I have the upgrade bug and secondly, I have slight concerns over the longevity of amps and speakers. They are getting on in years now!

I have a pair of Majik 109's coming soon, that I bought at a reasonable price, so really the question is what to do about amplification? I guess I could look at Majik amplification, Akurate amps, or Exact system. What would you recommend I look at first?

Also within each group there are multiple choices i.e. Majik 6100 or 3x 2100, 2x3100 etc. similar with Akurate amps. Then there is Exact. Whatever I choose must be funded by selling my current speakers, amps, Aktiv cards and a Kairn Pro, plus savings so that will probably rule out new equipment, but I'm not adverse to well cared for secondhand kit.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Steve
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Next Upgrade

Post by anthony »

Steve Robinson wrote: 2019-08-06 19:14 Hello,

My current system consists of the following;

Majik DSM
2 x LK140
Aktiv Katans
Linked up with K200 and Silver interconnects

I am pretty pleased with the system as it is, but I am looking to upgrade the speakers and amplifiers for two reasons mainly firstly, I have the upgrade bug and secondly, I have slight concerns over the longevity of amps and speakers. They are getting on in years now!

I have a pair of Majik 109's coming soon, that I bought at a reasonable price, so really the question is what to do about amplification? I guess I could look at Majik amplification, Akurate amps, or Exact system. What would you recommend I look at first?

Also within each group there are multiple choices i.e. Majik 6100 or 3x 2100, 2x3100 etc. similar with Akurate amps. Then there is Exact. Whatever I choose must be funded by selling my current speakers, amps, Aktiv cards and a Kairn Pro, plus savings so that will probably rule out new equipment, but I'm not adverse to well cared for secondhand kit.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Steve
Can you not use the amp in the mdsm with the 109s be better than lk140
Steve Robinson

Post by Steve Robinson »

Using the DSM was my short term plan while i sold the other kit and got the funds to upgrade.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Steve Robinson wrote: 2019-08-06 19:14 I have slight concerns over the longevity of amps and speakers. They are getting on in years now!
Linn don't service amps so I can understand your concern. And some of the independent servicing companies are best stayed well clear of. Class A in the UK are an exception and Naim's official servicing agent. They might do Linn if you ask.

But I wouldn't worry about the Katans. I have much older Linn speakers than that and they still sound very good to me. In fact, I would hang onto them a short while to be sure you prefer the 109s. Maybe my 109s need even more burn-in but I prefer the Katans overall - this is my second pair of new 109s and the other pair sounded the same. Not sure why. This is both in the Sneaky system and two LP12 based setups. There's no doubt the 109s will sound more refined through. Just check you're still enjoying music as much once you've got over the excitment of clearer sound quality.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

I have no experience with he 109’s but remember reading from a lot of people good things about the 109’s. I’ve read that a passive 109 is yet better than an aktiv Karan/Ninka less the bass of course.

Your advantage is that you still have some usable stuff for the new system. I’d hold onto the silvers and the speaker cables till you’ve tried some that show you more improvement.

The mdsm amp should suffice to run the 109’s but I’ve learnt that you can hear the Majik amps struggling compared to the Akurate amps. I have one of each and am waiting to find a second Akurate amp.

A used c4100 non dynamik should cost you as much as the kairn Pro sells for $6-800. A newer c6100/d for about $12-1400

The lk140’s should get you about $6-800 for the pair

The katans tend to sell for about $400 depending on the condition.

So that’s $1600-$2000 for the sale of amps and speakers.

Alternatively you buy a exaktbox-i with 6 channels of Majik amplification but have the possibility of going aktiv and Exakt. However this only makes sense if your dsm is exakt compatible.

Personally I can’t think of going exakt due to my mdsm/1 which is non exakt.

Lastly (as Charlie says) I always buy before selling that way I get to demo the new to me stuff compared to my older stuff.
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

What about going passive with a Tundra Stereo amp ? I used to use a MDSi with a Tundra Stereo and 109s which I rated highly which was several years ago so the Tundra was an early version. A current spec Tundra Stereo amp would be significantly better.

At present I am in my office at home listening to a Renew DS2 with a Tundra stereo 2.2 Tarandus driving Keilidhs and it sounds brilliant.

My main system was KEDSM, Accurate Exakt Box 10 Katalyst with 4 Tundra Stereos driving 350s. At present it is KEDSM with 520s. My plan is to go to KDSM Katalyst with a current Stereo Tundra with my 350s in passive mode.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I second what flatcoat said. You could buy a new tundra stereo 2.5 or even look for a second hand 2.2, which has Tarandus upgrade but not the trim port of the 2.5. Whilst not quite as good as the newer version it's still a bloody good amplifier and considerably cheaper if you're on a budget. I had owned majik 109s with tundra for a long time and I think that would give you the best sound for the money.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

I would improve the source first. A ADSM3 would be a stunning upgrade compared to changing the amps. Just saying.....
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

You have to decide how to allocate your money depending on how well your current products are serving you. But I would agree that long term you would be better served by an ADSM with Katalyst into a Tundra amp and whichever of the two speakers best suits you. Even better would be the ADSM with internal DVC disabled into a Sagatun and then into the Tundra, but that might be pushing the budget.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

ThomasOK wrote: 2019-08-13 23:25 You have to decide how to allocate your money depending on how well your current products are serving you. But I would agree that long term you would be better served by an ADSM with Katalyst into a Tundra amp and whichever of the two speakers best suits you. Even better would be the ADSM with internal DVC disabled into a Sagatun and then into the Tundra, but that might be pushing the budget.
I'd be very curious to know how an ADSM with Katalyst into a Tundra compared to the same ADSM with DVC disabled into a Boazu. Source first and all that...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

I have been using a Klimax Renew ds/1 played through a Boazu and M140 speakers for around 9 months now, and have been very pleased with the result. I now find that the main variance in musical quality comes from the source CDs and not the hardware.
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f