Cheap power strips for best sound.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Cheap power strips for best sound.

Post by beck »

RCA12314 wrote: 2019-08-17 13:48 ........... my system does sound better with the very basic cheap Pro Elec. The Longwell and Baohing cables also sound right........

This is having an impact on the way I am listening to music..................I am tapping my feet, and really enjoying the music.
To me it sounds like you are on the right track and that you have started your journey in a cheap and clever way.
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote: 2019-08-17 15:28
RCA12314 wrote: 2019-08-17 13:48 ........... my system does sound better with the very basic cheap Pro Elec. The Longwell and Baohing cables also sound right........

This is having an impact on the way I am listening to music..................I am tapping my feet, and really enjoying the music.
To me it sounds like you are on the right track and that you have started your journey in a cheap and clever way.
I agree!
RCA12314

Post by RCA12314 »

I have gone back to using the Masterplug power strip, and I agree the music flows better.

With the added bonus the print on the mains cable travels from the plug to the power strip.

So I am staying with the Masterplug for now.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

RCA12314 wrote: 2019-08-25 18:05I have gone back to using the Masterplug power strip, and I agree the music flows better.
Interesting that you reached that conclusion. Then it seems everyone thinks the same, both about the clips and in real life?
RCA12314 wrote: 2019-08-25 18:05With the added bonus the print on the mains cable travels from the plug to the power strip.
Now hold on! Has ANYONE evaluated the direction of this cord? Is it even the same model of cord on your Masterplug as it is on Charlie's Masterplug?

Until someone does this comparison, we have absolutely no idea which direction is the best.
RCA12314

Post by RCA12314 »

Hi Lejonklou, I am sorry, I forgot to mention the Masterplug powerstrip I am using is new, but the sound does flow better than my Pro Elec power strip. So why buy another Masterplug powerstrip, when I already have one ? The older Masterplug power strip was a six socket power strip, and I was only using four of the six sockets. So as an experiment I thought if I buy a Masterplug power strip with just the four sockets I really need, would this improve the sound ? My thinking being would unused sockets on a power strip degrade the sound ? It is just an idea, but i think it is possible unused sockets could pick up interference that messes with the sound. I could be wrong.

What do others think ?

I was comparing my new Masterplug power strip I bought to my Pro Elec powerstrip, NOT Charlie's Masterplug, Pro Elec comparison. I am sorry I should have explained that in my previous post. But I can say for sure, that the performance of my new Masterplug power strip, does sound better than my Pro Elec, the sound flows better.

Whether my Masterplug power strip is the same model Masterplug power strip that Charlie is using, I have no idea without comparing the two side by side.

Thank you
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

OK, so you noe have two Masterplug strips. Which direction is the cord on these two? Is the text on the two cords identical (which often indicates that it's the same model)? Are the two cords equally long?

If you have one cord in each direction and the text on the two cords is identical and they are equally long, you can compare them and that will result in an indication of which direction is optimal. To know for sure, one needs to compare several strips, as there can be other small, often invisible, variations. But usually the direction of the cord has a stronger effect than various invisible differences and also whether the strip is brand new or has been used a good while.

I have not found any indication that unused sockets on a power strip has an effect on sound quality.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Actually I have a 6-way Deltaco GT126, with 2 sockets unused.

Can someone suggest a better (cheap) power strips (EU plug)?

Thanks

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

€ 7.95
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

^ Interesting. How good does it sound?
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Teemu wrote: 2019-09-18 16:57 ^ Interesting. How good does it sound?
Just arrived to my office in Milan.

I'll report back in the next few days.

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

All the best ones look like this. But still they sound very different!

I'm hoping you're on to a winner here!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Yes, you're right.

The Lindy (€ 7.95) seems identical to the Deltaco GT-126 (€ 27) I have, in both specifications and aesthetically but ... they sound different.

Need to investigate further.

M.
grin

Post by grin »

Found it! The best sounding cheap power cord ever!
My cord history is lang. Tried expensive "audiophile" cords like Shunyata or Audioquest. Also tried nearly every cheap power cord recommended here in this forum (Longwell, I-Sheng, Baohing etc.), with text and against text. So far the best for me was a Baohing wt.
But recently I stumbled upon a cord for my Linn Akurate Radikal that blew all of these. Must have been a stock cord for an old UK amplifier or cd player, I owned and sold decades ago, can`t remember which it was.
On the cord it says "Concordia England". Maybe some of you can find one of these by chance and like to give it a try. Definitely the most musically power cord I ever heard. Deep and open sound stage wth so much clearly defined positioning of every instrument. I can`t believe. Try it if you can find one...
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great grin :-) and welcome!

From this company? : https://concordindustries.in/

Yes, we all have to try and try again to get the best out of what ever hifi we have.
Playing cd’s…………
grin

Post by grin »

Hi Beck,

no, more like from this company https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05647272
UK - not India
CONCORDIA ELECTRIC WIRE AND CABLE COMPANY not Concord Technologies
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

grin wrote: 2020-09-20 11:40 Found it! The best sounding cheap power cord ever!
My cord history is lang. Tried expensive "audiophile" cords like Shunyata or Audioquest. Also tried nearly every cheap power cord recommended here in this forum (Longwell, I-Sheng, Baohing etc.), with text and against text. So far the best for me was a Baohing wt.
But recently I stumbled upon a cord for my Linn Akurate Radikal that blew all of these. Must have been a stock cord for an old UK amplifier or cd player, I owned and sold decades ago, can`t remember which it was.
On the cord it says "Concordia England". Maybe some of you can find one of these by chance and like to give it a try. Definitely the most musically power cord I ever heard. Deep and open sound stage wth so much clearly defined positioning of every instrument. I can`t believe. Try it if you can find one...
Hello grin and welcome here!

Please note the mandatory use of musical terms on this forum when reviewing equipment. Subjective sound qualities can be added, but only after stating the performance judged with the Tune Method.

Sound stage and positioning of instruments are sound qualities. There is lots of equipment out there that will highlight such parameters, but that doesn't really say anything about the musical qualities.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

any suggestions for a US plug power strip. i need at least 8 sockets.
i was considering the wiremold one that's suggested on the naim forums
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Matteo wrote: 2019-09-18 15:53€ 7.95
How it sound? This looks identical to legendary Clas Ohlsson "Cotech" 6-way power strip.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Very good

Better than the Deltaco gt 126 I had before
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Zee9 wrote: 2020-12-30 19:38 any suggestions for a US plug power strip. i need at least 8 sockets.
Stay tuned! I'm amassing a small army of North American spec power strips to do battle for the title of Supreme Tune Strip. That sounded better in my head.

I currently have a CablePro Integrity, and there's a CablePro Revelation and Wireworld Matrix en route (the Matrix may be of interest to our UK and European members as it is available for both markets), and I'm keeping an eye out for a Wiremold L10320 (anyone have one they'd be willing to let me borrow for science?). I also have a couple Wiremold UL100BC kicking around. Are there any other candidates people would like to see added to the list?
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Here in the US I have always had best results with no switch, no reset/breaker type SL Waber strips now owned by Tripp light, I have not tried the Tripp Light version but it looks the same, these appear to be unchanged for like 30 years now:

https://www.tripplite.com/waber-by-trip ... less~60215

Post note: It appears now that they only offer units with built in BRKR, unfortunately they did not continue the NO BRKR, NO Switch units branded under the SL Waber name.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

markiteight wrote: 2021-01-03 22:51
Zee9 wrote: 2020-12-30 19:38 any suggestions for a US plug power strip. i need at least 8 sockets.
Stay tuned! I'm amassing a small army of North American spec power strips to do battle for the title of Supreme Tune Strip. That sounded better in my head.

I currently have a CablePro Integrity, and there's a CablePro Revelation and Wireworld Matrix en route (the Matrix may be of interest to our UK and European members as it is available for both markets), and I'm keeping an eye out for a Wiremold L10320 (anyone have one they'd be willing to let me borrow for science?). I also have a couple Wiremold UL100BC kicking around. Are there any other candidates people would like to see added to the list?
I haven't had time to do much searching so I think it is cool that you are going to undertake this. I have some kind of Wiremold at home so I'll have to check and see which one. The strips that have been found to be best in Europe are really basic and cheap plastic units with no breakers, surge protection, fuses or power switches. So I think something similar to these except without power switches, if possible (although the switch could be bypassed), would be a good idea to include in the comparison:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-6-Outlet-Pow ... eature_div
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-01-05 19:40 I haven't had time to do much searching so I think it is cool that you are going to undertake this. I have some kind of Wiremold at home so I'll have to check and see which one. The strips that have been found to be best in Europe are really basic and cheap plastic units with no breakers, surge protection, fuses or power switches. So I think something similar to these except without power switches, if possible (although the switch could be bypassed), would be a good idea to include in the comparison:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-6-Outlet-Pow ... eature_div
Thanks, Thomas. My plan is to post clips and let the community decide, but I'm on the fence as to the best way to do this. Should I keep it to pairs of clips at a time with each pair comparing a new candidate to the winner of the previous pair, or just post 'em all at the same time and let people navigate as they choose?

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping people had some ideas for cheaper additions to the test. I'll check out both.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

markiteight wrote: 2021-01-06 00:29 ... My plan is to post clips and let the community decide, but I'm on the fence as to the best way to do this. Should I keep it to pairs of clips at a time with each pair comparing a new candidate to the winner of the previous pair, or just post 'em all at the same time and let people navigate as they choose?
Cheap enough? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/koppla-3-o ... -00086428/ - might need a few...

I find it easier to compare clips in pairs. Depending on how many you have to compare, maybe quarter finals, then semis; then the grand final to establish the winner like a 'world series'.

More power to you ;)