Replacement part for 5140 mid range

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Gordon F

Replacement part for 5140 mid range

Post by Gordon F »

Hi everyone. New member! Not that it matters but long time ago I worked at Linn for a Bit and I was manager of biggest Linn dealership in UK. Nowadays though I’m known as a “video” guy not an audio guy..... but....

I have an old pair of 5140 in my living room AV system and the mid range in one of the units is sounding like it’s at end of life. Is there a direct after market replacement as I doubt Linn still do replacements, or do I just look for some s/h katana,Tukan, kan2 etc

Any advice gratefully received
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Replacement part for 5140 mid range

Post by beck »

I can only say what I have done: bought two Trikans for £100 a piece keeping them as spare parts for my Espeks.
Playing cd’s…………
Gordon F

Post by Gordon F »

I've been searching for some cheap s/h old speakers to rob parts from but no luck. I just remembered that i have a customer who had a pair of Tukans that i took a mid unit out of to fix a broken 5120....might see if he'll sell me the other for cheap...
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

They are Tukan units in the 5140, Katan / Trikan in the Espek.

The Katan drivers do sound much better, so possibly worth seeking out a Trikan and replace them both?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If you are wanting to replace both the midranges with the Katan/Espek unit (which are better units) you can still get them new with grills and trim rings from a Linn dealer. Current US price is $99.00 each.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Gordon F

Post by Gordon F »

Thanks for info on spares. I deal with lots of linn dealers so i'll ask my mate to get me a price for a pair of mids new