Cartridge Connecting Leads Query

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Cartridge Connecting Leads Query

Post by Discodave »

I have a AT-F7 MC cartridge (Audio Technica) strapped to my Linn Basik Plus and I am extremely happy with it and it's price tag relative to other MC cartridges. I have bought a replacement AT-F7 and am going to replace pretty soon.

Now my query is so: I have bought Audio Technica's own brand tonearm/cartridge connectors with the rational that the ones on the Linn arm must be 20 yrs plus and have probably degraded so why not give them a whirl. Also they would be a complimentary fit for same brand cartridge. However, should I replace? Does it matter a jot what the connectors are? Or must we leave the sanctity of even the smallest detail on the Sondek?

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Conor
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cartridge Connecting Leads Query

Post by lejonklou »

Without having compared the AT leads you're getting with the new cart, my previous experience with various such leads, I place my bet on the ones that belong to your arm.

Yes, they make a noticeable difference. And I haven't so far noticed any deterioration with age, although that certainly is a possibility.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

That's good enough for me Fredrik! I will leave well alone. Better the devil you know :)

Many thanks
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I have been playing around with cartridges a little too much last couple of years since I left the Adikt. With the reasoning in this thread I would like to know which cartridge leads is orignially supplied with Ekos SE? Is the ones coming with Krystal or the ones coming with Adikt or something else?

Is there a difference in which is more suitable regarding if it is used with MM och MC cart? If it was as simple as Krystal leads are better why don't people use them to make the most of their Adikt cart? Personally I would use the adikt leads with adikt and krystal leads with krystal, but I can no longer remember all the tests I did and why I feel that was my conclusion. With Ortofon cadenza carts I certainly wanted to use the Ortofon Leads supplied over the Krystal och Adikt ones. A bit confused here since I would like to test carts as fair as possible.
the players of instruments shall be there..
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have never tried comparing the cartridge leads that come with the Adikt with those that come with the MCs/Ekos SE. As it has been a while since I installed one I'm not even sure that the set that come with the Krystal is the same as what comes with the Ekos Se but I think it is. Those wires seem to be the same construction as what comes out of the Kandid and I have found them to be very good with a number of cartridges. However, there is a different set of wires that come with the Ekstatik (and I would assume Kendo) with what appears to be a quite different construction to the Ekos ones. When I saw the first Ekstatik I sent an email to Linn asking whether the Ekstatik wires or the Ekos SE/1 wires were better. They replied "Just use the Ekstatik ones". Not what I considered a definitive answer so I compared them and I did find that the Ekstatik ones are more musical, at least with the Ekstatik. I ordered a couple sets for stock and was quite surprised to find that they are about 4 times the price of the Ekos ones. So I'm not sure you want to go to the expense of trying them as well.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.