3k array material

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ianw

3k array material

Post by Ianw »

Can anyone clarify whether the 3k array is made from metal or plastic?

Reason for asking is that I’ve seen a post on a website showing the 2k array is plastic, also that the Komri 4K array was plastic then changed to metal. I put a multi-meter on my 242 Mk 2 3k array facia and got a reading indicating it was conductive metal.
Just out of curiosity.

Ian
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: 3k array material

Post by bonzo »

Ian,
Komri 4K was originally plastic then metal.. earlier plastic ones were capable of being swapped out for the metal.
The 3K on 242 is metal..at least on the mk2.
I recall a thread somewhere talking bout painting array black. I’d Love to have black arrays..
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Thank you very much for your clear answer.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

3Ks are metal, as are 2Ks.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Always? ^^^
AEDSM,Akurate Exaktbox-i Kat,Akudoriks,K600
Netgear108T,QNAP TS451+,BJC CAT6a
Majik 126,Exakt subbox
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Geoff wrote: 2019-06-12 15:15Always? ^^^
As far as I'm aware
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, all 3K and 2K arrays are metal chassis and have been from the beginning. Only the pod of the 4K Array on the Komri started out polymer and then was upgraded to metal. I believe Linn offered a free upgrade to the metal array for the Komri but there may be some out there with polymer arrays as some owners may not have been aware of the upgrade. When in doubt send the serial numbers to the Linn helpline for confirmation.

The literature for the Majik 109 speaker states the 2K array is "a tweeter and super-tweeter - in a dedicated cast alloy chassis".
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Thanks for the clarifications guys.

Ian
Briain

Post by Briain »

Ianw wrote: 2019-06-15 13:20 Thanks for the clarifications guys.

Ian
Don't believe a word of it, Ian; the 3K Array housing is actually made by scooshing the cheapest grade of expanding foam that you can buy into a kitchen foil lined mould (and I'm reliably informed that to keep the costs in check, the moulds are actually Fisher-Price rejects from a 'Despicable Me' minion toy) so yes it's metal, but the metal aspect is only about 15 Microns thick (and for the 2K Array, they use even thinner kitchen foil in order to keep the costs down). Of course, I am merely jesting and yes, they are indeed made of a nice, solid alloy material (and it is alloy all the way through, too)!

Interestingly, I recently found an elderly Linn 3K Array document stating that the torque you should apply to 3K Array bolts must not exceed 2 Nm (though I tend to torque them between 0.9 and 1.0 Nm) and I've been unofficially informed that Linn now torque them down to 1.5 Nm (so they are definitely not foil covered expanding foam housings).

All the best
Bri :-)

PS I wonder if the 3K Array mould was from this one...