In what world..Komri

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

In what world..Komri

Post by bonzo »

My first time posting a link.. I hope it works.
Once or twice a week I’ll look online in the usual places for listings of Hifi items/brands that I currently have or had. This is crazy! I sent the seller a message 30 min ago asking some questions.. interesting to see if he replies. May give him a call tomorrow as well

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9e ... e-speakers
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: In what world..Komri

Post by bonzo »

So I’ve spoken with the seller multiple times, he’s provided pictures of the speakers and serial numbers. Call me crazy however I think there might be a chance this could be legitimate. Assuming I can audition these and they perform as expected, could there be any other caveat I should concern myself with?

As always, thank you for reading this
Jon
Linn Pekin
HansW

Post by HansW »

Hi,
These speakers are obviously active so you will need an active cross-over and 6 or 8 channels of amplification. I am not sure but I don’t believe there ever was a passive Komri.
You could buy the 6 Solos from the currrent owner which I would guess has active cards installed.
Good luck
Hans
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

I may be wrong but, by default its only the bass that is active with a passive crossover for the remaining drivers. You can go active with Klimax tune boxes or Exakt boxes and four Twins or 8 Solos.

Check with owner and phone the Linn helpline quoting serial numbers.

The fact that six Solos are being used indicates they are passive because the Komris have 4K arrays.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thank you Ian and Hans. I was also under the impression that the 2 bass modules were aktiv(built in amps) while the 4K array is passive, but of course Can be aktiv
Linn Pekin
andy2

Post by andy2 »

Description: Five-way, sealed-box, floorstanding loudspeaker with "Active Bass Servo" powered woofers. Drive-units: ¾" polymer-dome supertweeter, 1" polymer-dome tweeter, 5" polymer-dome midrange unit, 4" polymer-cone upper-bass driver, two 10" polypropylene-cone woofers powered by dedicated 1500W amplifiers. Frequency response: 20Hz-28kHz, ±3dB, 10Hz-40kHz, -6dB. Nominal impedance: 4 ohms. Sensitivity: 87dB/m.
Dimensions: 45.8" (1163.5mm) H by 16.5" (420mm) W by 20.5" (520mm) D. Weight: 176 lbs (80kg) each.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/lin ... Z5kHZFC.99

^As qouted ; Komris are ’aktive’ only speakers with a 4k array and built in amplification for the bass units. You will need the aktive cards with eight channels of amplification and/or an Exakt box to drive them.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Not trying to be argumentative at all.. just seeking to understand..
*here it reads that the 4K is passive and ultimately upgradable to aktiv

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/c/cc/Komri_info.pdf

confused..
Jon
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

I just read the posts here again, Hans, FYI Klimax amps have never had aktiv cards installed internally. To go Aktiv the external Klimax crossover (looks like a Klimax amp) was necessary.
Linn Pekin
HansW

Post by HansW »

Sorry if I was misleading. As may be evident I am not really an expert in Linn speakers or amp-configurations. I seem to remember the Komris being active only at release but I can very well be mistaken or passive x-overs may have been added later.
Just wanted to encourage a little diligence so a great offer doesn’t turn into an expensive mistake.
Hans
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

HansW wrote: 2019-06-02 18:36 Sorry if I was misleading. As may be evident I am not really an expert in Linn speakers or amp-configurations. I seem to remember the Komris being active only at release but I can very well be mistaken or passive x-overs may have been added later.
Just wanted to encourage a little diligence so a great offer doesn’t turn into an expensive mistake.
Hans
Komri was introduced as a passive speaker. The facility to go aktiv was introduced later.
I owned passive komris in the past.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

“Komri was introduced as a passive speaker. The facility to go aktiv was introduced later.
I owned passive komris in the past”

Komri is the best speaker I’ve ever heard. What is your opinion and why change?
What amps were you using?

Should play well with Lejonklou amps.

Ian
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Anthony,
Thanks for clearing things up. So assuming I’m able to go audition this pair, is it safe to say that if they perform well being powered by 2 channels of amplification that They are in fact in passive configuration? Are there any visual cues to identify if they are in aktiv? When passive, are the speaker terminal links installed (just like on 242’s? I’d also love to hear more bout your experience with your komris..
Linn Pekin
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

bonzo wrote: 2019-06-03 00:09 Anthony,
Thanks for clearing things up. So assuming I’m able to go audition this pair, is it safe to say that if they perform well being powered by 2 channels of amplification that They are in fact in passive configuration? Are there any visual cues to identify if they are in aktiv? When passive, are the speaker terminal links installed (just like on 242’s? I’d also love to hear more bout your experience with your komris..
Ian and Bonzo,

Mine were purchased when they were first introduced in 2001, and replaced a klimax aktiv Keltik system. They were driven by solos, but sources at that time were way short of today's, the preamp being a 5103. Lp12 was top spec and cd12.
I found them too big for my small listening room and after about 6 months moved to 242. The pre became a klimax kontrol and in my room, sounded much better.
I sold the komris to a friend and they were subsequently sold on to another friend, so have heard them evolve into what they should have been. The setup I most recently heard, using the same speakers is top spec lp12 in an exakt 4 twin aktiv.
I did hear them with a kk and solos passive sounding very enjoyable.
There were a couple of upgrades after I sold mine, both contributed to a significant improvement, firstly the original 4k array was changed from a plastic structure to a metal one, this was more rigid. The second one was some change to the bass modules, this also improved the sound. The array was a free swap, so imagine all komris will have that.
The Lejonklou should sound excellent with them, it certainly does with k350.
It should be obvious from the existing buyers set up, whether they are passive, the aktiv require an XLR input for the bass. They use links but if they are passively multi wired does not necessarily mean they will be in place. They are actually better singl wired so make sure the links are available.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

So I’m thinking of passing on the Komris. The age of them as well as having on board amp modules as well as minimal dealer support, and no original boxes/packaging.. I don’t feel too confident. Not to mention I think Komris May be a difficult load for my amps to drive. Basically too many unknowns. I really appreciate everyone’s input, information and advice.
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Unless you require really loud levels, Komris are no problem for Tundra Mono to drive.

I have done service on three pairs of Komris (on all three occasions faults in the internal bass amplifiers, there's not much that can go wrong with the passive filters that feed the other four drivers).

They are indeed a complicated design, but Linn provided the dealer who sold them with circuit diagrams and good repair instructions, which were transferred to me and all the repairs went smooth.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Komri vs. The World

Post by Ron The Mon »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-06-03 19:50 Unless you require really loud levels, Komris are no problem for Tundra Mono to drive.

I have done service on three pairs of Komris (on all three occasions faults in the internal bass amplifiers, there's not much that can go wrong with the passive filters that feed the other four drivers).

They are indeed a complicated design, but Linn provided the dealer who sold them with circuit diagrams and good repair instructions, which were transferred to me and all the repairs went smooth.
Fredrik,
Your above response specifically relates to reliability, repair, and function. I appreciate the positive and frank remarks.

I have only heard Komris once when they first came out and wasn't impressed for the outlay at full retail price. What is your opinion on them today as you've heard them on at least three systems? Also, are they worth driving to New York and paying $6000 for?

Ron The Mon
Isobarik-Fan
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Komri vs. The World

Post by lejonklou »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2019-06-04 03:29Fredrik,
Your above response specifically relates to reliability, repair, and function. I appreciate the positive and frank remarks.

I have only heard Komris once when they first came out and wasn't impressed for the outlay at full retail price. What is your opinion on them today as you've heard them on at least three systems? Also, are they worth driving to New York and paying $6000 for?

Ron The Mon
Isobarik-Fan
Hi Ron!

When I first heard Komris, right after they were introduced, I thought they sounded great. In particular I loved the tight and deep bass.

Today I have mixed feelings about them. They're both fantastic and flawed. I find that the 4K array isn't homogenic in the way it ought to be. This observation, which also applies to the 3K array, I believe first began when we compared 242 with Klångedang T1 and found 242 sounding as if divided into many frequency ranges that didn't perfectly synch or overlap, while T1 sounding like one, apart from also being more musical.

The bass of Komri is still great, however. The internal power amps appear to be something like bridged 2250's, so not the best in the world, but there's servo feedback from the bass units, which probably helps. And higher in the hierarchy (and therefore more important) there's an analogue active filter which looks really well designed.

I'm not sure how I would rank them overall. I would probably need to spend some time with them in my own system to figure that out.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The Komris are absolutely wonderful speakers and would be my first choice, even if I had unlimited funds (which I sadly don't). They need a top source and good pre- and poweramps, though. A KK or a pair of Sagatun as well as some Solos or Tundras and you have a system, that's very hard to beat. For $ 6.000,- I think they are worth a drive to NY, that's a very good price.