Which Linn Armboard?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Which Linn Armboard?

Post by Discodave »

I am finally getting round to upgrading my 1979 LP12 with the Cirkus upgrade! I am looking forward to this as I have upgraded against the hierarchy norm (Hercules PS and Linto preamp were upgraded 1st) so I am hoping the difference will be even more noticeable than if had I done this 1st!

It will be brand new kit bar the sub chassis/arm. As I have had to get my own 2nd hand Cirkus sub-chasis I am wondering which armboard should I match it with? What iteration of armboard has best musicality in your experience? Is latest best?

Cheers
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Which Linn Armboard?

Post by Tendaberry »

I would go for the latest version of the armboard, unless you can find a second-hand (or new) Kore...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I would agree that it is probably best to go for the current armboard. I don't know of anybody actually comparing the sound of different armboards. The armboard construction has remained essentially the same since at least the beginning of the nineties with layers of mdf sandwiched between some formica-like top and bottom layers. Earlier armboards were just the mdf layers painted on top and edges. Buying used is questionable as many were not treated kindly and could have one or more of the three screw holes stripped. So I would go for new.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I find armboards very interesting.

When I bought my Sondek in 1990 it came with the usual 3 layer armboard. Formica-like on the top and the bottom and mdf in the middle.
One year later I bought the Cirkus upgrade just after Linn had released it. I still keep my pre cirkus bits in my Sondek box.

The Cirkus came with a 5 layer (Formica in the middle too) armboard which to this day is what I am using.
Comparing my 3 layer with my 5 layer the latter gives me more punch out in my listening room. The 3 layer sounding just a little bland compared to it.

I have also had 7 layer armboards (four formica layers with three mdf layers inbetween) in my hands and have been told that they are the best.

Now I know that 5 and 7 layer armboards are not easy to come by today. I guess people threw them in the bin when upgrading.
Playing cd’s…………
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Many thanks guys. It seems my choice is between the Armboard currently attached to my pre cirkus sub chassis (spot welded I think) or buy a new one. Trying to source 5/7 seems too much hassle and could very well backfire.

I will give to my dealer here in Belfast who is a good guy and see what he thinks. A new Armboard won't break the bank.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

P.s. hi ThomasOk
You gave me sound guidance on the Linn forum when I was buying a Kisto. I went by the name CPG there.

Hope you're well. :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Discodave wrote: 2019-05-25 19:32 P.s. hi ThomasOk
You gave me sound guidance on the Linn forum when I was buying a Kisto. I went by the name CPG there.

Hope you're well. :)
Hello Dave,
Getting there. I had prostate surgery with some slight complications about 6 weeks ago and I am just about completely healed from that, although still not supposed to lift anything too heavy. This Friday I go in for hemorrhoid removal (which reacted to the problem which made me go in for the prostate surgery). This is again going to limit my lifting ability but is supposed to heal in about 3 weeks. My regular doctor says that, other than the recent problems, I am in quite good health so I am hoping to be running at full speed by mid-summer.

As to the boards, there have definitely been changes in the number of mdf layers over the years and they likely would have an effect on the sound as the more layers the more glue to hold them together - although there is already a lot of glue holding the particles in the mdf together so I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Since I don't know of anybody who has actually done a comparison, much less one where everything else in the turntable, including torques, were optimized, I decided to sidestep that question altogether. Plus the question of the integrity of the three holes in used boards makes me lean toward just using the latest one.

Or get a Kore or Keel and then you won't have to worry about it, just about your bank account.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Hey Thomas

Sorry to hear of the recent health woes, never a pleasent time. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

Many thanks for the Armboard tips 😀