Terminating K400 with Banana plugs

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ianw

Terminating K400 with Banana plugs

Post by Ianw »

Advice sought

I’m going to replace the Chord Epic speaker cables with Linn K400. This for synergy reasons (all my other equipment is Linn) and hopefully musical benefit.

It’s a passive system single wired. I have the K400 and will split this to two pair using a friend’s heavy duty splitter, he has done this before and it’s a big job.
OK to the point in hand, what plug manufacturer is preferred. and what termination method e.g. screwed and crimped or soldered? I have a friend who has many years experience with soldering but I’m guessing the K400 will need a high rated solder station.

Amps are Solos D and speakers are A242 Mk2 on upgraded bases, so I’m seeking the optimum solution.

I know I could have gone for K200 but the consensus seems to be K400 is more musical?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Terminating K400 with Banana plugs

Post by Defender »

the way to go is with old Linn Banana plugs soldered on (with special solder, at a special temperature) at the optimal length
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Like defender said. Mind you, unlike most here, I actually prefer the 242's quin-wired to single-wired. At least I did at a friend's place with Klimax SE LP12 - latest model KK - Solos and 242's Mk. 2, when we compared using K400/K600. We both preferred the K400 to the new K200.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Defender wrote: 2019-05-22 20:56 the way to go is with old Linn Banana plugs soldered on (with special solder, at a special temperature) at the optimal length
Thanks
Can you give more data regarding solder and temperatures.

Appreciated.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I dont have the precise information its Lejonklou special solder and the temperature he found out with the Lejoklou Friends gang
some use wonder solder but I have no clue what the special solder is ... brobably high amount of lead and not lead free solder but the topic is much more complex as you see when you read the pdf