New bases 242

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

New bases 242

Post by bonzo »

So it looks as if I’ll be in a position to obtain the upgraded bases for the 242s. Upon installation, was there a need to reposition speakers? Do the bases really help that much with controlling / improving bass?

As always thank you for reading,
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Ianw

Re: New bases 242

Post by Ianw »

Can’t help on the difference between the older 2 piece bases and the new single piece bases as I installed the single piece bases with the speakers.

What I can say is to make sure you have the correct size Allen key to hand.

I got caught out on this one, I didn’t have the correct key on installation so, temporarily, had to just use finger tight, they didn’t sound anywhere near right. The next day I had the proper Allen key and nipped up the bolts correctly i.e quite tight. Unsurprisingly, the speakers immediately improved my a country mile, bass, imaging everything.

Hope that helps goes to show the importance of getting the basics right I guess.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Ian,
Thank you very much for the useful information. For a very similar reason I now have 3 different sets of Allen keys.
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Chet

Post by Chet »

The new bases definitely help with improved sound and definition. I think if you listen without expectation before fitting and then after fitting, you will hear the real true difference.

I didn't need to reposition speakers with the new bases. Once you have them, you will realise they are a must. It just makes the sound a bit more coherent.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ