From lingo 4 to radikal?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

HenrikLI

From lingo 4 to radikal?

Post by HenrikLI »

Hi all!

I know there's been much said about both radikal and lingo 4 before, but has any of you upgraded from L4 to radikal?

Because of ex-demo opportunities my lp12 is on lingo 4, keel, ekos se and Audio Technica vm740ml. So not strictly spot on the hierarchy.

Thing is I don't really want to do the last upgrade to radikal. The funds are there, but not feeling wholeheartedly for it. My dealer will soon visit and do the kore-keel switch and so could also take a radikal with him.

What's your ideas?

/Henrik
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: From lingo 4 to radikal?

Post by Tendaberry »

If you want to get closer to retrieving 100% of the information stored on an lp, you have to do it.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Hi Henrik,

I did a Lingo 2 to Radikal upgrade and it was worth it.

'Worth it' is a completely crazy phrase because it really means 'if you spend that cash is the sound improvement worthwhile for you'.

Ideally you would want to hear your L4 and Radikal A/B and then decide if its worth it for you. But thats not always easy. Maybe your dealer can bring an LP12 already radikal'd to give you an idea against your L4, if an exact A/B comparison not possible.

Personally if you are happy with what you have it maybe worth leaving it as is. I probably would. Sometimes more sound information is not always as enjoyable.

Chet.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

HenrikLI wrote: 2019-02-26 16:29 Hi all!

I know there's been much said about both radikal and lingo 4 before, but has any of you upgraded from L4 to radikal?

Because of ex-demo opportunities my lp12 is on lingo 4, keel, ekos se and Audio Technica vm740ml. So not strictly spot on the hierarchy.

Thing is I don't really want to do the last upgrade to radikal. The funds are there, but not feeling wholeheartedly for it. My dealer will soon visit and do the kore-keel switch and so could also take a radikal with him.

What's your ideas?

/Henrik
Leave it as is and buy hundreds of vinyls

M
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

My advise (and I've learned the hard way) is never do more than one upgrade at a time. An exception might be if your dealer is prepared to swap the sub-chassis first, have a good listen, and then do the Radikal upgrade. Not sure that would work for me unless I used phone clips, and even then, better to get used to the new sub-chassis first, over a period of several days at least.

Also, follow your heart. If it doesn't feel right then leave it, at least for now. I'm sure there will be more opportunities in future, if you change your mind.
HenrikLI

Post by HenrikLI »

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Think I save the radikal step for later.

My dealer is a really terrific person who knows how to build lp12:s, but he doesen't think the radikal problem is that dramatic (and have no praxis for fixing it). So even if he did the motor upgrade, I would have to bring the tt elsewhere to have it checked later.

Regards / H
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I did this step a couple of months ago and have no regrets. Since the Norton PS had died, a solution had to be found. The Lingo 4 was on offer at that time. Later exchanged the Ekos for Ekos/SE and added the Kandid and Keel.

I still had the music in my head with Radikal from the demo. I could not resist a good offer from my dealer.

The outstanding feature of the L4 (IMHO) is timing. But the radical gives you plenty of time to listen to each note and to better understand the entirety of music. Due to my limited English, I cannot go deep into description.

Of course, you can buy vinyl for that money. I do too. After the upgrade, the parcel service comes almost weekly with vinyl.

OTOH, for my treasures in the record shelf I want the best that I can afford.

cheers
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hermann wrote: 2019-02-27 08:59 The outstanding feature of the L4 (IMHO) is timing.
Do you think the timing is better with L4 than Radikal?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-02-26 23:46 My advise (and I've learned the hard way) is never do more than one upgrade at a time. An exception might be if your dealer is prepared to swap the sub-chassis first, have a good listen, and then do the Radikal upgrade. Not sure that would work for me unless I used phone clips, and even then, better to get used to the new sub-chassis first, over a period of several days at least.

Also, follow your heart. If it doesn't feel right then leave it, at least for now. I'm sure there will be more opportunities in future, if you change your mind.

I agree - one should not do the Radikal upgrade if it does not feel right and one major upgrade at a time is best for the LP12.

The upgrade journey should be enjoyable and fulfilling at all times.

You may find that when you are ready - Linn has upgraded the Radikal to version 2!
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-02-27 10:47
Hermann wrote: 2019-02-27 08:59 The outstanding feature of the L4 (IMHO) is timing.
Do you think the timing is better with L4 than Radikal?
From my point of view, slightly better. I could easily live with L4 if I had never heard the same setup with the radical.

Timing was not necessarily my intention to buy the radical. Simply put, more information or easier to follow a line of tune. For example, I thought with the L4 Instruments stop at a certain time. With the radical is clearly heard that some instruments continue to play, very quiet but audible.

One of the records is "Anne Dudley plays Art of Noise". It was very good for me to hear and it seemed to me that more time could be left with the chosen instruments than before.
Trust your ears
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Can you clarify your understanding of Radikal Version 2?

I didn’t know there was a new version.

Regards

Ian
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Ah forget my question. I read your post again and understand what you meant thanks.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

A big advantage of Lingo 4 in comparison to Radikal is that it will never touch the Trampolin.👅

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

A big advantage of the Solid Base in comparison to the Trampolin2 is that it will never touch the Radikal motor :)

M.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2019-02-28 11:45 A big advantage of the Solid Base in comparison to the Trampolin2 is that it will never touch the Radikal motor :)
Yes, or go bottomless with an extra strong cross brace:-)

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Matteo wrote: 2019-02-28 11:45 A big advantage of the Solid Base in comparison to the Trampolin2 is that it will never touch the Radikal motor :)

M.
I am not sure how much of a musical improvement a Trampolin 2 would give on my LP12 which sits on a solid cabinet, but after hearing clips on this forum of how the Radikal/Trampolin 2 contact can really upset the timing and musicality of an LP12 - I am going to stay with the Solid Base.

If I ever change the plinth to a Woodsong one that is significantly higher than the standard 65mm Linn Plinth - I may reconsider.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s