Linn Ikemi still going strong

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Winston67

Linn Ikemi still going strong

Post by Winston67 »

I have had and enjoyed my Linn Ikemi CDP for years. I recently had an opportunity to try a Rega Apollo-R (from around 2017) paired with an external Rega DAC. Both Rega components have received excellent reviews, and I was curious to hear if the more modern Rega equipment would sound better than the old Ikemi. I didn't do a scientific A/B comparison, nor are my ears all that acute, but I liked the sound of the Ikemi better; the presentation seemed smoother and no less detailed. This surprised me somewhat, if only because the technology in the Ikemi dates from around 1999 or 2000, and I had assumed that in the intervening years, DAC technology would have been transformed. I'm sure it has, but this did not translate into a victory for the Rega over the Linn. Interested in hearing if anyone else has compared the Ikemi to more modern players.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linn Ikemi still going strong

Post by lejonklou »

Not surprising. Bear in mind the hierarchy here - the DAC is just like the cartridge on a turntable last in the chain and therefore least important.

I'd also add that DAC technology has not really been transformed. It's more about the implementation - how you design, feed and treat the DAC part of the circuit - than any single technology. As it's really difficult to describe all the important aspects of a design, marketers will always simplify things as much as they can to catch our interest. "You need X - the new revolutionary DAC technology!"
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

I have owned Ikemi before, Knowing how good it is, last year I decided to get one again to replace my Naim CD

Knowing they are decades old I was looking for a serviced one
Not easy as they are no longer supported
I'm still looking

Meanwhile using Rega Saturn which is another great maschine (still supported)
AlbannachFE

Post by AlbannachFE »

Is the Ikemi much of an improvement over a Karik III/Numerik (final spec)?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If it is a Karik III/Numarik in final spec with the Slimline SMPS in both then I would say the differences are relatively small. So if you already own the Karik/Numerik I don't think I'd bother to change. Better to look for a good deal on an CD12. On the other hand if you don't have either and are just trying to decide which to buy I'd go with the Ikemi mainly due to age as the Karik is basically unrepairable when the laser wears out.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
AlbannachFE

Post by AlbannachFE »

Thanks, Thomas.

Yes, it's a 'Karik III/Numerik in final spec with the Slimline SMPS in both', so I guess that Ikemi probably isn't worth the change.

My player of choice is still the original Naim CDS, but the K/N is a nice alternative that I 'fire up' from time to time; I would love to try a Sondek CD12, though.