http://users.onelinkpr.net/vicdiaz/linnhist.htm

Vic
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Thanks for maintaining this very useful information.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Thanks!

I try to maintain it the best I can but have not received any reliable update information for more than a year though...
Vic
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Vic!

I think it's great that you keep this alive. The main problem with information about later products is that Linn have stopped telling much, except for major changes that I suppose they consider to be in their interest.

There have been many changes to all current products, but it's difficult to keep track of them as the serial numbers aren't "serial" for each product like in the past. Some are minor and some are more important. As an example, compare early 242's with the latest model. They have changed dramatically and not only once, but in several steps.

I have some comments to your history page:
The Kan and Isobarik histories have a reversed order (latest to earliest instead of the other way around).
The Kan picture shows a later Kan (model III or IV) and not the original Kan (which is a totally different speaker) that is mentioned in the text.
The Katan and Ninka had their crossover slightly revised at least once during their lifetime. They also both had their treble unit upgraded from 038/1 to 038/2, the later has a metal front plate instead of the original plastic.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Thanks for the info! As soon as I have a chance I will rework the site and update pictures.

Vic
Vic
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Hi Vic,

re: the last modification to the Klout - "Capacitor added to Transformer connector on main board to improve the Klout's immunity to electromagnetic emissions. This improved the sound quality. "

When I used Klouts, they had been updated by Linn, apart from this mod (and BFA sockets). When I last asked about doing it, Linn Service advised that it had been introduced to meet rf emissions standards and did not see that it would improve sound quality at all. Our more learned friends on this forum may be able to comment on this, but it may be worth adding a note to that effect.

'troll
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

I used to own 6 Klouts: 2 latest Banana-ones, 2 early BFA-ones (before the last change) and 2 BFA-ones manufactured right after the last change. And there was a clear audible difference between those 3 pairs, even with Uniks connected to them.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

sommerfee wrote:I used to own 6 Klouts: 2 latest Banana-ones, 2 early BFA-ones (before the last change) and 2 BFA-ones manufactured right after the last change. And there was a clear audible difference between those 3 pairs, even with Uniks connected to them.
Some first-hand experience - thanks Axel. My Klouts will soon be back in service driving their aktiv Kabers in my daughter's house. I may think about adding those caps then (although not as Linn did it, which was on the reverse of the main power amp board and meant stripping the amp right down. I'm sure they could be fitted to the socket on the component side.

Anyone have any thoughts?

'troll
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

sommerfee wrote:And there was a clear audible difference between those 3 pairs, even with Uniks connected to them.
were all serviced?
It's all about musical understanding!
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Music Lover wrote:were all serviced?
No, all were in their original state. But since the difference between age was very little, I do not think that the difference was because of age differences. Furthermore the "equal" Klouts sounded equal, even when they had different pre-owners. (I bought them all used from two people, three ones from each.)

Axel
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I have another experience.
Serviced Klouts sound very similar (and a good bit better)

Service = open them and "massage" each connector, removing the oxide and tighten the chassis screws.
Same principle as normal maintenance on IC's and speaker cables.

Please give it a try and report back :mrgreen:
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Question:

Do you think this thread should become a "sticky", that stays at the top in the HiFi forum?