Connecting Preamp to Linn Majik 4100 Power amp

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Winston67

Connecting Preamp to Linn Majik 4100 Power amp

Post by Winston67 »

Apologies for the dumb question, but does anyone know how I connect a preamp to a Linn Majik 4100? Specifically, what do the preamp's L and R lineout jacks connect to on the 4100? It has four channels, each with an "in" and an "out." I can't figure out what matches up to what, which channels to use, and what's left and right. Pictures of the rear of the 4100 are attached.

Same question with connecting speakers. My cable is K400 bi-wire and I will be using it with Linn Katans in a passive "bi-amp" configuration. What goes to what? Many thanks.
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1313.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Connecting Preamp to Linn Majik 4100 Power amp

Post by tokenbrit »

The 'simple' (symmetrical) answer is: (proceed at your own risk...)
- preamp-out-right goes to 4100-ch2-in
- 4100-ch2-out goes to 4100-ch1-in*
- preamp-out-left goes to 4100-ch3-in
- 4100-ch3-out goes to 4100-ch4-in*
* use an interconnect cable if your 4100 does not have internal links (between ch2&1, and between ch3&4)
- 4100-ch2-spkr+- goes to right Katan treble+-
- 4100-ch1-spkr+- goes to right Katan bass+-
- 4100-ch3-spkr+- goes to left Katan treble+-
- 4100-ch4-spkr+- goes to left Katan treble+-
Make sure the Katans are configured & connected as for bi-wired passive playback

Any questions, please ask for clarification...

I used to have an Akurate 4200 set up to use internal links to pair channels - this makes cable dressing more straightforward, and removes the need for an extra pair of interconnects. If you don't have the links, and they're not already installed, or they're not available for the 4100, then you'll have to use interconnects...

That's one answer to your question. There are other arrangements that will work too so feel free to go with other suggestions as they come in if they work better (more neatly) for you. (you may want to stop here :)

Where it can get complicated is that not all channels will sound quite the same. Optimally you would listen to each channel individually (no internal links installed) and pick the 2 best for treble l&r, and the remaining 2 for the bass(es). This makes the best use of the 4100, but the wiring starts to get complicated, and you have to ensure that the interconnects are used in the right direction (from out to in; from better channel to worse... )

The answer you don't want to hear is that a single-wired Lejonklou Tundra Stereo 1.2 sounded better than a bi-amped (& bi-wired) Akurate 4200 ... and it's a lot easier to connect ;)
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

Thanks for the helpful response. One further question: how can you tell if there are internal links without opening the case?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Well, you could connect the right output from the preamp to channel 1 on the 4100 and connect a bi-wiring speaker cable to the speaker outputs for channels 1 and 2. If either bass or treble is missing, when listening to the right speaker, there's no internal link between channels 1 and 2. Personally, I think it's quicker to loosen the 4 screws and take a peek inside.
PaulPablo

Post by PaulPablo »

Hi, I have just purchased a Linn majik 4100 and a pair of Linn Ninka speakers. Can anyone tell me is it the same setup for the Ninkas as it is for the Katans as described here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..!!

Paul
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, it is. As long as the Ninka back plates are set up for bi-wire.

To add one more note to tokenbrit's excellent post. Many of us, myself included, feel that passive bi-amping is not as musical as single amping, nor is bi-wiring as musical as single wiring. What this means is that it will likely be more musical using just the two best channels on the 4100 and driving the Katans single amp/single wired. This applies to the Ninkas as well. Try it and see what you think.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Thomas - single wire best - tried it in the long ago with Ninkas +1

Donuk