Linn Klout Problems!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

mjsut

Linn Klout Problems!

Post by mjsut »

Afternoon all!

My Linn Klout is part of a Keltik active system and operates the treble with mono active cards installed inside.

It had been turned off for about a week whilst I was away, and once I returned home and turned it on the right-hand channel started producing some loud varied hissing and buzzing, and the right led bulb flicked between green and red. No signal was going into the amp at this point in time.

I proceeded to unplug the speakers from the amplifier and turned the amp back on again. Both amplifier led bulbs turned green - they did not flicker to red.

When I then turned it off the right-hand led bulb turned red for approximately an extra 5 seconds longer than the left-hand bulb which turned red and then off in the normal way.

I have since unplugged the active cards and turned the amplifier back to non-active and plugged the Klout into a pair of passive Katans.

The left channel appears to be working OK whilst the right-channel is hissing, but is masking the faint music I was trying to play. Again, once I tried to turn the Klout off, the left-hand channel led turned off as usual, whilst the right-hand channel led held onto the red light for a further 5 seconds and made a very faint 'pop' before turning off completely.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I assume that it's a fault within the Klout which is causing the issue and hopefully the active cards are OK?

Any help would be much appreciated!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Klout Problems!

Post by sunbeamgls »

Sorry I can't help, but you might get more support from the Linn Club section of the Hifi Wigwam forum which is where Linn have suggested ex-Linn forum members gather.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Had a similar problem with one of my klouts while I still had them. One channel beg haven like that after being turened off for a few weeks after vacation.
I sold it to a guy who like fixing old Linn stuff, he got it for a fair price. He replaced all capacitators, think he said that about 70% of them was in so bad shape that it was not possible to measure them...
After that I played as it should!
Also have a vague memory when reading up on problems with klout that some times a diod can give up, have no source to that statement :P
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Darren at Class A, in Sheffield, is the standard recommendation for repairs of older Linn components. Probably worth a call to review, diagnose(?), and discuss general servicing & recapping options for your Klout(s).

Btw, did this come up for you on a Google search? Klout Service Manual
(had to go with the cached copy as the original link no longer worked)
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2019-02-18 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds like the control board. Consult the recommended repair centre that is familiar with classic Linn gear.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Could be the control board, could be power supply caps. Quite possibly both will need attention. We are finding that Klouts are of the age where a significant number are having problems, just like Lingo 1s and Valhallas. In many cases they need new PS caps as the old ones are wearing out. Some of the caps Linn used were also on the edge of being strong enough and tend to wear out quicker, the 22uf, 16V caps used on a lot of the gear (some 60 of them in the original Isobarik crossover) often need to be replaced, preferably with a higher voltage.

I would echo the recommendation of Darran at Class A. He knows these problems well and uses the best parts for replacement. He and I have shared information as I rebuild Valhallas and Lingo 1s here, but he works on a wider range of gear from Linn and Naim, whereas I hand anything more complex to a local service tech who is really good at this, including older Linn gear. In the UK he would be my highest recommendation.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2019-02-20 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
mjsut

Post by mjsut »

Thank you everyone for your help. I will get in touch with Darran!
jonbon99

Post by jonbon99 »

Hi
Did you get to the route course of the fault with your Klout??
I have one that is acting the same on the treble right hand treble active amp
regards
John
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

I have had some klouts, and 2 of them had the same issue of bliking red led/buzzing sound.

Replaced ALL the electrlolytic capacitors in the electronic boards, the main one and the small one connected to it (control board). In my both klouts those CAPS were small blue ones, nichicon brand or jamicon, i cant remember, but i do remember that i used some aluminum Panasonic caps to replaced them. I didnt even touch the big reservoir capacitors. While yours are probably ok too (both capacity and ESR), refreshing them with new ones wont hurt and will set you up for years to come.

That fixed my klouts :)
jonbon99

Post by jonbon99 »

Just to let you know the fault was the treble active card, replaced and Klout is working perfectly.
Hopefully a couple more years before any capacitor changes