2 x AV5125 + Akurate Exaktbox 10 or Akurate Exaktbox-I

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

RonnyO.

2 x AV5125 + Akurate Exaktbox 10 or Akurate Exaktbox-I

Post by RonnyO. »

Dear All,

I have a quick question and need your expertise.

I am thinking about adding an Exaktbox to my system. Currently I am running an Akurate DSM/2 to 2 x AV5125 (non dynamik) with aktive cards to my Espeks.

No I have an option to get an exDem Akurate Exaktbox 10 (without Katalyst) and I ask myself which would now be the best option as I have two choices for about the same money.

1.) Take the Akurate Exaktbox 10 and add it to my sytem and use all the remaining items.
2.) Buy a new Akurate Exaktbox-I, sell both AV5125 and use the integrated amp of the Exaktbox-I to run my Espeks.

Please let me know what you think? If I tak the Exaktbox-I I could again upgrade my amps in the future and use only the Exakt part of the box. Question therefore basically is how does the integrated amp of the Exaktbox-I compare to the AV5125.

br,
RonnyO.
Think, it's not illegal yet!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: 2 x AV5125 + Akurate Exaktbox 10 or Akurate Exaktbox-I

Post by sunbeamgls »

That's not the important question.

The important question is how do the DACs in the Akurate Exaktbox compare to the DACs in the Exaktbox-i. And the answer is very much superior.
The amp comparison is "different" rather than better or worse.

My suggestion would be to go with Akurate Exaktbox 10 and then, when ready, upgrade that to Katalyst. Unless you need the analogue section of your ADSM for some other purpose (it can be used as part of a surround implementation, for example), you might consider changing to an AEDSM or Akurate System Hub (same product, different badge) to free up some cash to help with cost of upgrading the Akurate Exaktbox to Katalyst. Katalyst should come before any amp change.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

Thank you for your answer.

Should the DACs not be the same in both boxes anyways, as they are both Akurate level gear?

However, if I planned to upgrade to Katalyst at the end, the DACs should at least then be the same no matter if it was on the Exaktbox or the Exaktbox-I, or do I miss something?

From this aspect it would then again be a comparison of integrated amp vs. AV5125 to my understanding.

Br,
RonnyO.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

You ask some very good questions!

At the moment the Akurate Exaktbox-i is actually a re-badged Majik Exaktbox-i and, as such has Majik level DACs.

When it becomes a true Akurate level product, I'm not sure. Probably best to contact a Linn dealer or helpline@linn.co.uk to get the precise story on this. Best to ask them if you buy either Majik Exaktbox-i or Akurate Exaktbox-i right now, will they be upgradeable to Katalyst at some point and when.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the Exaktbox and amps separate, for greater choice and flexibility, so you're not locked in to either. But the reduced box count is probably very attractive.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

You could also borrow the latest Katylised ADSM from your dealer to plug into your system to try.
To my mind, the Katalyst upgrade is the most significant.
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

I will check with Linn support as proposed. Will let you know what is their answer.

br,
RonnyO.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, the current Akurate Exaktbox I is just the Majik Exaktbox I renamed and with Akurate casework. No change in circuitry currently, so definitely not as good DACs as current Akurate Exaktboxes which have Katalyst.

However, Linn informed us at the time of the name change that Akurate Katalyst level DACs would be coming to the Exaktbox I this year and that those buying current Akurate Exaktbox I units will be able to upgrade. They also promised that the upgrade price, for people who buy the current Akurate Exaktbox I between the announcement and the launch of the Katalyst version, would be the same as the price difference between the current unit and the Katalyst version, which is obviously going up. Others with a Majik Exaktbox I will also be able to upgrade at a price to be determined.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

No answer from Linn... just bought the Exaktbox 10 :)

Waiting for it to arrive next week.

br,
RonnyO.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Congrats

Helpline responses have taken much longer since the deletion of the forum. Used to be one day, max two. Now seems to be four days.
cortina

Post by cortina »

Not my experience. Last month I have received replies the same day, next day and max after three days.
My questions were all about existing ”traditional” products though. Could it be that there is a lot of ”communication coordination bureacracy” regarding newer products and potential upgrades that they have not specifically communicated if they will be available or not? (More than once have upgrades been stopped just to re-appear later etc.)
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

Linn answered!

My question was the following:
"Are the DACs in the Exaktbox 10 (non Katalyst) and Exaktbox-I of the same quality? If so, the question is how does the AV5125 compare to the integrated amps? Are the integrated amps better than the AV5125?"

Linn answer:
"I can advise that the Akurate Exaktboxes and Akurate Exaktbox-I, use the same DAC’s. So both non Katalyst devices use the same DAC and when the Akurate Exaktbox-I Katalyst upgrade is available, this will be the same DAC as used in the current Exaktbox.

With regards to the amplifiers, the Exaktbox-I has an output of 100W per channel. The AV5125 can deliver up to 230W per channel, if you are only using 4 channels.

My recommendations would be to use the amplifier of the Exaktbox-I over the AV5125."

As I am using 2 x AV5125 (one for the left and one for the right channel) I guess the sound will be quite decent with the Akurate Exaktbox :)

Br,
RonnyO.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Well that's interesting but I'm not convinced it is accurate, but it would at least justify the re-branding of the i. Certainly the DACs (there's no apostrophe in a plural Linn!) in a Majik DS do not sound as good as those in an Akurate DS (including the pre-Katalyst one).
As for the advice on amps, using the power output as the reasoning is distinctly and disappointingly simplistic, adding doubt into the content of the quality of the whole response IMHO.

Regardless, you're going to have a great sounding system with the Exaktbox and the 5125s.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2019-02-16 10:27 As for the advice on amps, using the power output as the reasoning is distinctly and disappointingly simplistic, adding doubt into the content of the quality of the whole response IMHO
I agree, I think it's embarrassing for Linn to argue along these lines, when comparing amps.