Linn Ninka with one Katan woofer??

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

cortina

Linn Ninka with one Katan woofer??

Post by cortina »

A crazy (and quite possibly even stupid) thought perhaps: :)

But.. I bought a pair of broken Ninkas for spare tweeters alone, where two woofers are dead. So they are not in use.
I also have an old Trikan which I believe have Katan 125 mm woofers.
As I have old stereo aktiv cards, would it even be possible to find ”adaptors” plus do some drilling to fit the smaller Katan woofers instead of the broken 160mm Ninka woofers (not pretty I am sure, but perhaps if the Ninka grill would fit..) and if so, what about running them aktiv with Katan tweeter and mid/bass cards plus a Ninka bass card... ?

Or, anyone heard Ninkas with just one (working) woofer per speaker?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Ninka with one Katan woofer??

Post by sunbeamgls »

Sounds like Frankenstein. I think it won't be a good result because the drivers share a cavity within the enclosure. Espek active cards might give a better result, but still likely to be odd.

Perhaps just wait for another broken pair of Ninkas to come up?

The dealer What You See And Hear in the UK had some spare Ninka mid-bass drivers for sale, they might still be available. If they are, you'll be able to make an offer as they've had them for a while.
It might also be worth checking with Krescendo.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree that it is probably not going to work very well. The enclosure volume was optimized for different size and bass resonance on the bass drivers. I also expect that most mounting plates you could devise would likely not help things. Better to see if you can get the correct drivers. Or see if you can get another Trikan and use them as a stereo pair, something I always wanted to try but never got around to.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
cortina

Post by cortina »

OK Thanks Sunbeam and Thomas. Sounds like it likely is as bad of a thought as I suspected and not worth to spend any time on.
(No real need for yet another pair of speakers but time will tell if I find a pair of really cheap Ninka drivers before I find somebody interested in these maple Ninka cabinets plus 2 mid/bass drivers.)