Akurate Kontrol vs. Majik Kontrol preamp

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Winston67

Akurate Kontrol vs. Majik Kontrol preamp

Post by Winston67 »

I have a system that includes a Majik Kontrol pre-amp, a "souped up" Rega P3 (which I will probably upgrade soon), and Katans run actively with two non-dynamik 2250 amps. I have an opportunity to purchase an Akurate Kontrol pre for a very good price, and wondered if this would be a worthwhile/significant upgrade (including from the standpoint of the phono stage). If anyone has any thoughts about how the Akurate Kontrol compares to the Majik version, I would be very interested. Thanks.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Akurate Kontrol vs. Majik Kontrol preamp

Post by Charlie1 »

Not compared myself.

However, for others benefit, does the Akurate have Dynamik PSU?

Majik cannot (officially) be upgraded with Dynamik.

I do recall my pre-Dynamik/pre-dual mono KK was very sweet. I'd be surprised if I preferred any AK version to that and my guess is they are similar cost nowadays. Just a thought.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

The last Akurate Kontrol with the current style fascia is much better than the Majik Kontrol and has the Dynamik PSU factory fitted.

It has also a great headphone stage onboard - again considerably better than its Majik equivalent. This is a 2.0 stereo preamp with analogue in/outputs only.

The older 'Majik styled' Akurate Kontrol is a 5.1 surround preamp with digital connections but no internal headphone stage. It was introduced in May 2007 and the Dynamik PSU came along in 2009 so early ones may have no Dynamik.

With the current s/h prices - and without direct need for a surround preamp - I would certainly go for the latest Akurate Kontrol.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

Thanks for the feedback. The one I was looking at appears to be the 5.1/no headphone stage version, although it had the Dynamik supply. I may take a pass.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Akurate kontrol/ 1 is a great pre amp - I went from Kairn and it was one of the biggest upgrades I have ever done.

I did not realise how good the KRDS streamer was until I hooked up the AK/1 with it.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Consider Lejonklou preamplifier, much more joy then Linn
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
jethanger

Post by jethanger »

To address the OP's phono stage question, I have had an Akurate Kontrol with a Majik DSM , both of which I exchanged for an Akurate Renew DSM/1 . Initially the Kontrol was used with LK140s and active Kelidhs, these previously used a Linto phono stage. I now use the ADSM Renew with Active Majik Isobariks and a pair of Majik 4100power amps. Through this period my turntable set up has been the same , LP12 Tramp2, Cirkus, Hercules, and Ittok with a DV 202XL. I have found the Akurate MC phono stage to be very impressive, less "fat" than the Linto, and giving a more open and airy presentation, without log any punch. Hope this helps

Cheers

John
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

That's interesting John. I never really warmed to the Linto upgrade from Majik Kontrol. I felt I gained something but also lost something. Too long ago now to recall specifics. I blamed it on burn in and then just got used to it.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Sopper wrote: 2019-01-15 08:11 Consider Lejonklou preamplifier, much more joy then Linn
Akkurate Kontrol/1 to Sagatun Monos was another big upgrade, and whilst MM phonostage on AK/1 was very good - Gaio 1 was much better.

However AK/1 is a good place to start and probably very good value at the moment.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s