Katan/Ninka/Espek Tweeter replacement

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

vicdiaz

Katan/Ninka/Espek Tweeter replacement

Post by vicdiaz »

Hi,

While researching the woofer suggested in the 'Majik 109 Modification' thread I digged in deeper into the SEAS available tweeters and found one that may be an exact match, sans the three protecting bars, for replacing Katan/Ninka/Espek damaged tweeters which are no longer available from Linn.
SEAS.PNG

Additional information below:

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=462

Hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Katan/Ninka/Espek Tweeter replacement

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I seem to remember some folks swapping them out for hiquophon ow tweeters, 92 I think.
https://willys-hifi.com/products/hiquph ... 92-tweeter
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Hi Ozzzy189,

Yes, I've seen references to the HiQphon tweeters but they seem to change the characteristic sound signature. Since the SEAS tweeters are relatively cheap ($34.00 USD ea.) I'm inclined to try these in my AV5140s to replace the original Linn ceramic ones and see how they sound.
Vic
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

They're 94mm in diameter so some work would need to be done to the cab or the tweeter to make them fit. The originals are 92mm.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2018-12-19 22:38 They're 94mm in diameter so some work would need to be done to the cab or the tweeter to make them fit. The originals are 92mm.
Hmmm, nice catch!!!
Vic
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

vicdiaz wrote: 2018-12-20 00:20
sunbeamgls wrote: 2018-12-19 22:38 They're 94mm in diameter so some work would need to be done to the cab or the tweeter to make them fit. The originals are 92mm.
Hmmm, nice catch!!!
Its the usual issue with replacements. The industry norm seems to be 94mm, its almost as if Linn deliberately commissioned something different. That's why the OW92 is a popular option, it fits!
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Although the OW92 fits and is is a popular option, Linn (i.e. Philbo) has not produced Exakt filters (SO+ V1) for these as they have for the 038/2 tweeters.
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Donald wrote: 2018-12-20 13:22 Although the OW92 fits and is is a popular option, Linn (i.e. Philbo) has not produced Exakt filters (SO+ V1) for these as they have for the 038/2 tweeters.
Should not be that difficult for Philbo to do so.
Vic
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I think the hiquophon would be the best option personally. As for changing the sonic qualities, on the whole it was regarded as an improvement at the time by people who'd carried out the installation. I do seem to recall Fredrik not been that keen on the idea however but I could be mistaken.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Now wondering if there are any Scanspeaks which could also be used, and are more readily available here in the U.S. Will do some research during holidays.

Edit: Well, it seems the same Scanspeak tweeter I ordered for my Naim SBL refurbishing project meets the 92mm requirement, and it's cheaper than the Hiqphon.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/s ... ter/#tab-3
Vic
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Cheaper but possibly not in the same league for sound quality but could be a better match. Its a shame you can't try both.
Regards and happy Christmas folks.
Ozzzy
dasher

Post by dasher »

When one of the 038/ii s in my Espek started to sound like someone had plugged a distortion pedal into it, about 3 weeks after Linn announced the end of the driver, I couldn't find a Linn replacement anywhere and so went for the Hyqophons in Ozzy's link. They work well but have a different signature. They are more revealing and I found that initially they got in the way of the balance of the whole sound. The Espeks were active (still are) on the end of AV 5125s. in the end I took the 038/ii from my Keilidhs and tried them in the Espeks - to compare against the Hyqophon. I left the 038-ii s in the Espek and found that I could better control the treble balance in the Keilidh by careful use of the dB roll off on the active cards.

Eventually I found a new unused pair of 038-ii and replaced the Hyqophons now in the Keilidhs, with this set. (The 038 ii that I took out of the Keilidhs to place in the Espeks had only had around a 100 hours use). The Hyqophons went to eBay. The Keilidhs are now active via Exakt and I can of course use the 038-ii filters. I made the change back before I had Exakt and therefore can't comment on the use of Hyqophons over Exakt.

The Hyqophons appear to be a lot more expensive today - I'm sure that I didn't pay almost £300 for my pair.

I could have lived with the Hyqophons but I do prefer the 038-ii and, if you can find them (they do appear on eBay quite regularly - mine were originally bought by someone who never got around to fitting them) then they are about 1/3rd the price of the Hyqophon pair!
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

dasher wrote: 2018-12-26 22:13 ... they do appear on eBay quite regularly ...
Need to check eBay's UK site more often. Have not seen them in eBay's U.S. site.
Vic
Kiwilinn2

Post by Kiwilinn2 »

Appreciate this is an old post. nevertheless, I just had to report that I have just changed my Ninka tweeters to OW1 version which are the recommended replacement , Oskar made them 92mm to fit Ninkas and they sound absolutely superb although they are being run off an aktive treble card.
They have revolutionised my speakers and opened up a wonderful engaging soundstage that I have never had before. Just saying!!
cheers
ADSM 2 exact, Qnap, silvers 5125, 140 Tri Aktive , Ninkas with OW1 tweeters, Pana OLED