Linn Majik 109 and the competition

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Winston67

Linn Majik 109 and the competition

Post by Winston67 »

I recently picked up a Naim Uniti Nova, and have been running it with my Linn Majik 109 speakers. It has been suggested to me that, good though they are, the Linns are not doing justice to the much more expensive Naim unit. People have suggested that I look at speakers such as ATC-SCM 11, Harbeth P3ESR, Spendor A4 and much more expensive speakers. I wondered if anyone had a view as to whether I would notice a big upgrade with any of these more expensive standmounts or compact floorstanders? I like the sound as it is, but I don't have a point of comparison.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Majik 109 and the competition

Post by David Neel »

I have had 109s, through various upgrades in front of them. In each case, they allowed the benefit of the upgrades to show. I'd hazard a guess that if you took the money you might spend on upgrading the 109s, and spent it instead on upgrading the Naim, you'd be better off.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

Hmmm, I hope that isn't the case - the Naim Uniti Nova is an expensive bit of kit (at least for me).
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Julian claimed to be very much into Source First back in the day and certainly in the early 80s they were still advocating it despite not making a source component at that time:
By the time I met Ivor (Tiefenbrun) in 1974, we (at Naim) had well
established source first, single speaker dems, and the importance of
speaker stands - these ideas were very much in line with Ivor's
experience - this was the start of the Linn/Naim common marketing
approach.
In general fix the source first - it's been said a thousand times
before, but that's because it's true. The speakers only reproduce what is fed to them...
If you're happy with the 109s then perhaps put the funds aside and save up for your next upgrade in a few years.

But if your curiousity needs to be satisfied then why not buy some second hand speakers and then, if you don't like them, you can move them on without losing out too much. Forums are useful but you're the one that has to live with them and you're the one that needs to hear them with your system.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2018-12-12 00:45, edited 2 times in total.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

To be clear: I don't know the Naim box, but I do know that the source first principle works. I still had my 109s with a full-house LP12 and four of Fredrik's boxes.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Another happy 109’s owner here, with Naim and Linn gear more expensive than Uniti

Which speaker cable do you use?

Did you tried some speakers positioning?

M
Winston67

Post by Winston67 »

I take the point on "source first," but I assume the reason that Linn (for example) makes more expensive standmount speakers is that there is a limit to that proposition. In any event, my main issue with the Linn Majik 109s is that I can't quite get enough bass extension from them, and would prefer not to use a subwoofer. I have generally used Linn's K400 cable (biwired) and now use some Zu Cable Mission cable (single wire) that I am still breaking in. I like the 109s a lot, but there just isn't enough low end (and I am not a basshead by any means). Curious about all of those much more expensive and rapturously reviewed standmounts made by ATC, Harbeth et al, and how they might differ, especially from a low frequency standpoint.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

If you are not planning to upgrade the unity nova for the foreseeable future, it’s perfectly reasonable to accept the ‘source first’ principal and change the speakers to something you prefer.

And then upgrade the source when and if you are ready.

Source first tells you that musicality will not improve as much an upgrade upstream but you may prefer the sound ( ie bass/ treble/ soundstage etc)much more than you current speakers.

If you can try any new speaker at home - you will have a much better idea of what the new speakers will do in your system, and confirm that you do prefer them - not guaranteed as 109s are very good.

PS

There is a recent thread here re - upgrading one of the drive units in Majik 109s to get better bass.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

In case you missed it, that actual thread is here:

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=2827
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Winston67 wrote: 2018-12-12 17:12 I take the point on "source first," but I assume the reason that Linn (for example) makes more expensive standmount speakers is that there is a limit to that proposition. In any event, my main issue with the Linn Majik 109s is that I can't quite get enough bass extension from them, and would prefer not to use a subwoofer. I have generally used Linn's K400 cable (biwired) and now use some Zu Cable Mission cable (single wire) that I am still breaking in. I like the 109s a lot, but there just isn't enough low end (and I am not a basshead by any means). Curious about all of those much more expensive and rapturously reviewed standmounts made by ATC, Harbeth et al, and how they might differ, especially from a low frequency standpoint.
Try a 5mt pair of Linn K20 with Linn bananas Knekt properly soldered

Perfect match with Naim plenty of bass

And yes, the changeover of woofers is a revelation

M
Chet

Post by Chet »

As good as the 109s are, a bigger speaker with bigger woofers etc. you will get a different sound. I like bass and a fuller range, so it is worth you listening to a fuller range, larger speaker, because I think that is what you are saying is missing.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

As a fan of the totem acoustic loudspeakers I'd recommended you to demo the totem sky. They received a product of the year award from hifi plus a couple of weeks ago.
I also have a pair of immaculate 2016 rainmaker if you are interested but I don't think they'd be a massive upgrade, more like a sidestep to be honest.
Sky are a real sweetspot in their catalogue.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.