Removing bottom of LP12 (Urika 1) to swap RCA leads - No Jig

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Chet

Removing bottom of LP12 (Urika 1) to swap RCA leads - No Jig

Post by Chet »

Hi,

I only want to sway the RCA phone cables that plug into the Urika and go to the preamp, for another set of RCA cables.
However I do not have a LP12 Jig, and don't want to buy one, for what appears a very simple task.
I do not plan to carry out servicing on the LP12 myself, and my Linn dealer is 100+ miles away.

Any thoughts how I can do this. Please write step by step instructions/ advice and what I need to watch out for, as sometimes something simple (with HiFi) might not be.
I don't know what I would place the LP12 on, or what may fall out etc. Or whether I would need a Jig, to do this task.

Cheers.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ
Chet

Re: Removing bottom of LP12 (Urika 1) to swap RCA leads - No Jig

Post by Chet »

Anyone?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

When I needed to get into my LP12, I rested it VERY carefully straddled across 2 dining chairs set on carpet to reduce the chance of the chairs moving. Between the two chairs was a step stool on which to rest the Tramp. A photo might make it a bit easier to make sense of the description:
temp-jig.jpg
Caveat: I only needed to get to the ribbon cable from the power switch - I don't know how easy it would be with this setup to safely swap RCAs on a Urika...
Obligatory warning: if the chairs get knocked then your LP12 might topple off, so it's up to you whether you have the right chairs or step-stool. A stack of books could substitute for the step-stool but be aware that the deck is not secure with this method so it's entirely up to you if you think it's safe enough - proceed at your own risk!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I always like to remind myself that if things can go wrong, one day they will!

Can you make a jig yourself? Perhaps made out of timber, which is very easy to work with. It doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to hold your LP12 securely.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

If you have a wall fitted turntable -
lift out the board from its mounting spikes
lay two sturdy pieces of wood across
put LP12 back
and proceed.
Move the wood around to give you access is necessary.

donuk sunny downtown York
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

tokenbrit wrote: 2018-12-14 03:48 When I needed to get into my LP12, I rested it VERY carefully straddled across 2 dining chairs set on carpet to reduce the chance of the chairs moving. Between the two chairs was a step stool on which to rest the Tramp. A photo might make it a bit easier to make sense of the description:
temp-jig.jpg

Caveat: I only needed to get to the ribbon cable from the power switch - I don't know how easy it would be with this setup to safely swap RCAs on a Urika...
Obligatory warning: if the chairs get knocked then your LP12 might topple off, so it's up to you whether you have the right chairs or step-stool. A stack of books could substitute for the step-stool but be aware that the deck is not secure with this method so it's entirely up to you if you think it's safe enough - proceed at your own risk!
I am feeling nervous and almost unwell with worry looking at this - and it is not even my deck.

I have visions of looking under the deck and nudging one of the chairs with my shoulder ..... cant even type the potential scenario- its simply too painful.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Chet

Post by Chet »

tokenbrit wrote: 2018-12-14 03:48 When I needed to get into my LP12, I rested it VERY carefully straddled across 2 dining chairs set on carpet to reduce the chance of the chairs moving. Between the two chairs was a step stool on which to rest the Tramp. A photo might make it a bit easier to make sense of the description:
temp-jig.jpg

Thanks for that and the picture. Is the stool there to stop too much of the bottom falling out, I say this because the earth lead is connected I can see, so I assume I would need to let the bottom out gently, & support it. I heed your warnings, but it maybe the way to go, or similar...carefully.
Chet

Post by Chet »

donuk wrote: 2018-12-14 10:45 If you have a wall fitted turntable -
lift out the board from its mounting spikes
lay two sturdy pieces of wood across
put LP12 back
and proceed.
Move the wood around to give you access is necessary.

donuk sunny downtown York
Thanks, this makes the most sense and I do have a TigerPaw Vulkan wall shelf. My only problem, is that it is in a bit of any awkward place and I have the 350 speaker right in front of it & it took me ages to position that 'perfectly', but it would definately be the safest way to proceed (I think!).
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2018-12-14 12:20 I have visions of looking under the deck and nudging one of the chairs with my shoulder ..... cant even type the potential scenario- its simply too painful.
Those were my fears too... Thankfully the vision did not come true - no LP12s were hurt in the making of the photo. The ribbon cable had sprung so I had to get in there to get it working again. Believe me: I was *extremely* careful, aware that one slight wrong move could end in pain & tears. I would seriously not recommend this if it's for something 'optional'.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Chet wrote: 2018-12-14 13:32 Thanks for that and the picture. Is the stool there to stop too much of the bottom falling out, I say this because the earth lead is connected I can see, so I assume I would need to let the bottom out gently, & support it. I heed your warnings, but it maybe the way to go, or similar...carefully.
I didn't need to work on the base - just needed it out of the way enough to re-seat the ribbon cable, so wanted something to support it out of the way rather than leave it dangling by the earth lead, or disassembling the LP12 any more than needed...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

In addition to the advice you have received already, I will mention that you will probably want to remove the ground wire from the Urika for what you want to do. To install new interconnects to the Urika you have to route them properly along the metalwork and there are a couple of places where you cable tie the interconnects to the Urika Trampolin. So you will need a couple of cabe ties. All this is harder to do with the ground wire still in place, although not impossible. If the person who setup your LP12 precision torqued things you will no longer have that on the ground wire when you reinstall it. Not a big difference but audible.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Thanks for that advice.
Would I assume I need to unplug the tonearm cable also, to replace the RCA's? Is that just a simple 'unplug' & then re-plug, or anything else I need to watch out for?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, the arm cable is shorter than the ground wire so you will have to unplug it too, unless you want to try and work on replacing the RCAs with very limited workspace. There is a very small hex setscrew on the front of the arm pillar that is designed to hold the plug in place so that it does't rattle. If the LP12 was set up properly it would have been lightly tightened so it will need to be loosened before you can remove the DIN plug from the bottom of the pillar. The correct allen wrench will have come with your Ekos SE. There is an optimum torque but the bit to fit it is not common. Without a torque driver and bit lightly nipping it up will work.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Chet

Post by Chet »

thanks, excellent detail.